the next bond????

this, i will believe only when i am sitting in front of the finished film. 

Lashana Lynch—a Black Woman—Is Taking Over as 007. It’s About Damn Time.

190714-howard-lynch-tease_nnqd8v

opinion

Slaven Vlasic/Getty

According to a new report, Daniel Craig will pass the martini to ‘Captain Marvel’ actress Lashana Lynch, who will be introduced as the new 007 in the still-untitled 25th Bond film.

Updated 07.15.19 4:20AM ET Published 07.14.19 7:26PM ET 

In news that will surely come as a shock to James Bond fans and the film industry at large, it was revealed today that longtime 007 Daniel Craig will pass the Walther PPK to black British actress Lashana Lynch in the iconic role.

For years there has been intense speculation about who would take over the reins of one of the most durable and profitable film franchises in history once Craig stepped aside. Much of that speculation has revolved around whether the series might make a nod toward diversity and cast a person of color or a woman for the first time.

But if the report from UK tabloid the Daily Mail is to be believed, the 007 producers are going for a radical twofer: casting a 31-year-old black female newcomer as Bond’s heir apparent.

According to the report, the upcoming, yet-to-be-titled 25th Bond film will reveal Lynch as the new 007 with Craig’s character coming out of retirement for one last mission.

This development will almost certainly divide diehard Bond fans who are notoriously protective about the series, which has spanned six decades and featured six white male actors in the black tux.

For instance, there has been a prolonged debate over whether current “Sexiest Man Alive” Idris Elba could or should replace Craig. In 2014, The Daily Beast broke the news that Amy Pascal, then-head of Sony Pictures Entertainment, wanted Elba to be the next Bond. And almost every interview or profile of Elba has seemed to renew the speculation, about which the Hobbs & Shaw star has remained remarkably sanguine.

•  
    141218-boot-idris-elba-tease_yslobb
    Prior to a debate over whether there could be a black Bond, there was even a hew and cry over whether there could be a blond 007 14 years ago when Craig was first cast in the part.
  •  

Clearly, the producers of Bond 25 have decided that it was time to do something even more unorthodox with the globe-trotting espionage series.

According to the Daily Mail’s source, “There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says ‘Come in 007,’ and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.”

“It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman,” they added.

This piece of news is just the latest in a string of tumultuous headlines to emerge from a production that has seemed rocky at best.

First, there was Craig’s initial reluctance to return to the role after four successful, largely well-received films. Following 2015’s Spectre, which grossed nearly a billion dollars worldwide, he claimed he would rather “slash his wrists” than play the part again (he later walked back the remark and got on board).

Then there was the hiring (and departure) of A-list director Danny Boyle after he and his leading man reportedly wanted to take the series in diametrically opposed directions. With Boyle’s departure there was a need for a whole new script and director.

The Bond role has long been viewed as a blessing and a curse for the actors who have played it since it can overshadow everything else they do.

Since then, True Detective guru Cary Joji Fukunaga has taken over directing duties—making him the first American filmmaker to helm a Bond film—and the 007 Instagram feed has begun to share tantalizing on-set photos, suggesting that perhaps the film, which has been repeatedly delayed, was back on track.

It would come as no surprise that after five grueling films—and many, many injuries—the 51-year-old Craig would be ready to move on to other projects. The Bond role has long been viewed as a blessing and a curse for the actors who have played it since it can overshadow everything else they do.

Even Sean Connery, who arguably has had the most productive post-Bond career, will be best known for originating the part of the suave spy in the 1960s.

With Lynch, there will be a relatively blank slate. Mainstream audiences know her best from her supporting turn as Carol Danvers’ sidekick/pseudo love interest in this year’s blockbuster Captain Marvel.

She has also previously appeared on television in several, mostly short-lived shows like Crims and Still Star-Crossed.

• Sad 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sh*t- I’ll say it.  I won’t watch it. I’m tired of the social justice  agenda being imposed on everyone and the corporate-government-globalist attempts to make things a perfectly equal rainbow fa

Please God No!!!! Can you imagine what Ian Fleming (the creator of Bond) would think of all this? I mean he wrote Bond as a martini-swizzling, three pack a day cigarette smoker.

Dumb if true.  A potential franchise killer.  Creating a side series with a female Bond "type" character would be the smarter play. An agent "069" if you will. ? Should it prove successful, cross

31 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Sh*t- I’ll say it. 

I won’t watch it. I’m tired of the social justice  agenda being imposed on everyone and the corporate-government-globalist attempts to make things a perfectly equal rainbow family. Surprised they didn't cast a transsexual.

James Bond is British, male, and white and no one should have to apologize for him being any of those or for preferring him to be that way. 

Box office flop. 

Agree. I truly hope this is a joke. I would never pay money to ever see a 007 movie again. This would certainly drive the final nail in the coffin 

• Like 1

I really like the idea that James Bond refers to a kind of “role” a la “The Doctor”.  It certainly resolves the fact that different actors have played the same character over the years.   (I guess it makes the OHMSS/Diamonds timeline confusing).  The part that I don’t love is that from all reports, they have been shooting but there’s no script.  Just judging by the above reactions from this small sample, this seems like a bold move and as much as I love Phoebe Waller-Bridge, I think she’d need a longer runway to set this in play.  

My quiet guess is this “leak”, is nothing more than means of free PR and chats.  I must have gotten ten texts about it yesterday.  Ultimately the owners of the franchise are relatively conservative folks who are just trying to protect and preserve  a multi-billion dollar franchise.  These are the people that use Sam Smith instead of Radiohead because they believe one of those names will put more butts in seats.  These are the people that fired Danny Boyle because he wanted to “kill Bond” at the end.  I can’t really imagine they would pivot a 25 film franchise that hard that fast.  

• Like 1

I'm kind of torn, initially I hate the idea.

But if the way it's written is that she's a violent, sexually manipulative, chain-smoking alcoholic then it could be great. 

I'm more inclined to see Frank's idea come to fruition though; have a spin off franchise and see if it succeeds on it's own merit and then have cross over films like they have in recent Marvel/DC releases

If it's done for the right reasons, ie story driven then I'm open to it, if it's being done purely because of a social agenda then I'd rather propaganda be left to party political broadcasts so I can have enough forewarning to turn over. One thing we don't need at the moment is more politics..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:
57 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

But if the way it's written is that she's a violent, sexually manipulative, chain-smoking alcoholic then it could be great. 

That’s a perfect description for my wife! I’ll contact the talent scouts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Dumb if true.  A potential franchise killer.  Creating a side series with a female Bond "type" character would be the smarter play. An agent "069" if you will. ?

Should it prove successful, cross it over with 007.  If this is the future of movie casting, then I'm really hoping for a  Mother Theresa bio-pic with Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols as the lead. :)

Totally agree with introducing a new character than bastardize 007.  New character could be even cooler, but leave 007 as has been.

She better be driving an Aston or Lotus.

• Thanks 2

This has got to be just a PR trial-balloon.  If they want to impress the Hollywood elite with how woke they are, then they can toast themselves in their cocktail parties all day long with a move like this... if they want to make money and curate the multi-billion dollar franchise, they will fire the people who let this concept get too far and never mention it again.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My news feed had several stories pop up all saying the same thing. That doesn't mean it's true, but more than a few places are all saying it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is like women playing ghostbusters, actually nevermind its not. James Bond is 007, you are taking away the history from a long time serious. And I know some will say things have to change its a different world. Well make some movie called something else. Which will not even be close to the same 

This is pure dog eggs if true.  

A remake of Mary Poppins with a male lead..........not necessary 

A remake of Mary Poppins..............still not necessary

People trying to make vegetarian food taste like meat.............not necessary

Jesus........why is it empowering for a women to adopt stereotypical male traits! ?    If this actress succeeds, whats the greatest compliment she will receive?.   "wow, you were like, pretty believable as a female spy, playing the role of a male spy".......utter folly......and unintentially offensive

What about a truly fascinating, real female character.  of Mata Hari? why not make a film about this?

The Bond franchise has just "pissed on it's chips" as we say in the UK

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jackupster said:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I say give her a shot...I dont think she'll be worse than Lazenby or Dalton! 

My first thought exactly. But then I remembered what disney did to the new star wars movies by turning them into a social justice round table and kinda went blahhh

• Like 1

They said the same thing when Sean Connery took over from Phyllis Diller in 1962. "No way, you can't have a male Bond, I won't watch, blahblahblah."

Take it easy, 'flakes. It's just a movie. If it stinks, you better believe they will go back to the original formula.

• Like 2

Theres a trend here...Rocky's grand daughter will fight Mr T's grand son, Rambos grand daughter will lead an all female rescue team back to Viet Nam to rescue US soldiers, John McClain's grand daughter is now throwing the Eurotrash out the Nakatomi plaza. All with cameos. They just have run out of ideas a long time ago

• Like 1

More of HollyWood trying to ram a radical leftist SJW agenda down our throats. I could really go on a rant here, but I'll just say this: Why can't they star this black female in an original role/film? Do they not have an ounce of original creative thought anymore? Why do something so retarded as starring her as f****** James BOND??? It's about DESTROYING anything "traditional"

...I hope this is just a sick joke, lol

• Like 1

as i said at the start, i simply do not buy. the producers are not stupid (and they have said in the past that 007 will remain a male).

there is always the chance, a very good one, that they are clever enough to start a rumour like this to see the response. if positive, they can go ahead. if another idea comes from it, they can take advantage. and if a negative response, they had no idea what anyone was talking about. 

it is easy to dismiss it as a radical leftist agenda but in all seriousness, of all the film franchises out there, there are not many that are as un-radical leftist as bond. 

The final nail in the coffin. I'll go re-watch my pre-Craig Bond DVDs. I could accept (grudgingly) the Craig era Bond films, but for me Bond ended after Brosnan, as far as I'm concerned. This is just making a mockery of the franchise.

• Like 1

I've read that the plot is Bond (Craig) is retired and no longer an active agent. He is recalled back into action and meets the new agent (Lasagna Lunch Lashana Lynch) using the 007 code number.

I still don't like it. And nothing anybody tells me will change my mind.

You want a kickass female spy? Just watch Atomic Blonde. That was bloody good.