How to remove the first cigar of a box?

I thought about this when I was looking at a recent order I just received. I don’t like to try to pick the first one out for fear of damaging it or it’s neighbors. And whenever I try to gracefully tip the box on its side I end up dumping at least 3-5 more. NC don’t usually have this problem as they’re wrapped in cellophane and one of the end cigars is rotated so the folded down flap of the cello can be pulled. But I’m getting more into CC and don’t want to unintentionally damage anything. 

How do you guys/gals remove that first cigar out of a new box?

• Like 1

Unless they are something super rare or near and dear to your heart, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Push down on the head of the cigar and maybe give it a slight turn in either direction. No matter what, I highly doubt you're going to damage anything beyond smokability.

• Like 1

I usually go for a fingernail gently picking one out by the head. Haven't had a problem yet. You're going to cut into the cap anyway.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

I open the box, fold the paper under the box, close the top, flip the box over and slowly open the lid until the cigars drop down. This lets you inspect all the feet as well as place your finger on one cigar so when you flip the box back over it is raised and easily removed. 

• Like 3

I have an old Tatajue box opening tool/hammer that has a spoon on one end that works a treat, but as others have already said, don't overthink it, just do whatever works. If you end up with a little chip or crack, it won't usually affect smoke ability.

• Like 1

If I have a particularly jammed box.   I'll remove the nail, slide the that label that sits on the cigars out of the box, bring the lid back down, flip the box over upside down, lay it on a table.  pull the cigar box off the double deck of cigars.    You should be left with the double deck, sat on the lid.   you can then do what you want. 

If it's just a case of getting one cigar out.  generally i will press on the head of a given cigar, this should in-turn kick up it's foot just enough to get purchase with my other hand. 

A butter knife or edge of plastic credit card under the head of one cigar and gently pry it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

I open the box, fold the paper under the box, close the top, flip the box over and slowly open the lid until the cigars drop down. This lets you inspect all the feet as well as place your finger on one cigar so when you flip the box back over it is raised and easily removed. 

Brilliant. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

Right hand finger nails for guitar picking, and cap sticking. Just a little pluck and tilt out. Stay away from foot end, it will crack, done that.

I tried to learn finger picking but my fingernails grow weird. They’re pretty curved and curl down toward the fingertip the longer they get. Look more like hooks than guitar picks. 

• Haha 1

Buy singles. Problem solvered. 

But nah as suggested above I just push down on the head of a cigar and the foot pops right up to grab easily. It’s never failed me. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ritch said:

My butler smokes the first one out of every box to alleviate this situation. I recommend you get your butler to do the same.

Just DM’d you my resume if you are looking to replace your butler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

(Learning from@Ritch) my butler tells me he holds the open box with his left hand and whacks the box on the underside with his right fist (whack upwards, as if talking a volleyball shot).
A few normally jump up and back down, and invariably one is left on top.
Whack too gently and nothing moves. Whack too hard and you could spill them all over the place.
Whack just right and you'll be smiling like goldilocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk