Current Fitness Routines?

I have been getting out gyming 4-5 days a week for the past 12 months. It has helped immensely to keep me sane. 25 minutes cardio, 25 minutes weights...nothing too strenuous. 

I have been peeved this last two months as all of a sudden I noticed that my upper weight thresholds have dropped 10%.  I am trying to get them back but it is proving harder than I thought.  getting older has its good sides but this isn't one of them!

Do you have an excise/diet regime that works for you?  

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working hard on the treadmill, bwana!

I work out 60 to 90 minutes, three days on, one day off, weightlifting.  I don't smoke a stogie before I work out.  I'm 59.

I just thought of an elderly gent once in the Gym. He was definitely a standout. He appeared to be in his late 70's early 80's. He would walk in, clean shoes, kakhi pant, polo shirt and a baseball hat

A tablespoon of olive oil in the morning on an empty stomach

Double espresso in the morning

Minimum sugar

Minimum butter

White meat (mostly Turkey)

No bread

No beer

Minimum salt

Plenty of water in the morning

Daily walk about 3 km

Pool if I have time in the evening

Cigars not more than one a day

• Like 2

I work with a trainer twice a week for one hour sessions and ride my bike when I can.

Have you done any training with the Prowler?  30 minutes of sets and even the most fit will be more than done...

• Like 1

Rock-climbing three times a week, with physical conditioning around each session. Plus a half-hour run once or twice a week. I use a bicycle to get around.

My big tip is: leave the conventional weights and machines behind. It isn’t very useful, and it’s easy to get injured. Instead switch to functional strength (using things like kettlebells and your body weight), with lots of core, balance and stretching / mobility work.

• Like 2

I havent done much for the past two years, but I like to join a team sports. I usually play Gaelic football, which is a lot like Ozzie football. Winter time I either hit the gym or gain my holiday pounds back.

Try to get to the gym and do free weights, but between work and family duty pretty hard to do that with any routine in mind, unfortunately. It seems hard to be motivated if you cant go often and aren't making any progress in increasing weight and/or amount of reps

No real diet just eat well. Switch between chicken and fish most days, have beef only once or twice a week. Lots of carbs on work out days. Like a pound of mashed potatoes. Half before half after.

@Elpresidente  let me preface that I am not a professional but i've been doing this for quite some time. 

So it seems like you've plateaued which is very common and happens to everyone old or young, novice or veteran. To break plateaus i'm always constantly changing my approach when i work out, my workouts are never the same and i use different techniques to add a new challenge like drop sets i.e. you're doing bicep curls start with your heaviest weight you can do and do 10 reps, then immediately do as many reps as you can with 60-70% max weight and then finish off with 40% max weight and do as many reps as you can. You will absolutely increase your strength, stamina and get an crazy pump in that muscle group that Di might think she's with Sylvester Stallone from the Rambo days! :P  Another option is to add supersets, or static holds etc. 

My other piece of advice instead of doing full body workouts every time split it into different body parts. So Day 1 - Bicep/Back  Day 2 - Chest Day 3- Legs/Core Day 4 - Shoulders/Triceps with your cardio at the end of each workout. Always cardio at the end! I truly believe the 4 days split to be the best balance in a week of training and rest. 

Also sleep is critical! That's when your muscles repair and you need a protein rich diet to feed that muscle repair. Ideally 0.6grams of protein per pound of body weight, some people go up to 1gram per pound of body weight but you need to ease into it. Be prepared for the dreaded protein farts haha 

I hope you're still meditating can't just train the body, the mind needs it as well. It' helps with lifting as well staying present in the moment. 

If you're interested I can build you a workout routine for a couple weeks to see if it works for you. PM me if you'd like :)   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, benfica_77 said:

@Elpresidente  let me preface that I am not a professional but i've been doing this for quite some time. 

So it seems like you've plateaued which is very common and happens to everyone old or young, novice or veteran. To break plateaus i'm always constantly changing my approach when i work out, my workouts are never the same and i use different techniques to add a new challenge like drop sets i.e. you're doing bicep curls start with your heaviest weight you can do and do 10 reps, then immediately do as many reps as you can with 60-70% max weight and then finish off with 40% max weight and do as many reps as you can. You will absolutely increase your strength, stamina and get an crazy pump in that muscle group that Di might think she's with Sylvester Stallone from the Rambo days! :P  Another option is to add supersets, or static holds etc. 

My other piece of advice instead of doing full body workouts every time split it into different body parts. So Day 1 - Bicep/Back  Day 2 - Chest Day 3- Legs/Core Day 4 - Shoulders/Triceps with your cardio at the end of each workout. Always cardio at the end! I truly believe the 4 days split to be the best balance in a week of training and rest. 

Also sleep is critical! That's when your muscles repair and you need a protein rich diet to feed that muscle repair. Ideally 0.6grams of protein per pound of body weight, some people go up to 1gram per pound of body weight but you need to ease into it. Be prepared for the dreaded protein farts haha 

I hope you're still meditating can't just train the body, the mind needs it as well. It' helps with lifting as well staying present in the moment. 

If you're interested I can build you a workout routine for a couple weeks to see if it works for you. PM me if you'd like :)   

I am not a professional either but I do have the certifications/licenses that would allow me to do so.

That said, this is fantastic advice!

At the end of the day though, just make sure you're enjoying it (as best you can). The only thing that truly matters is consistency. Hard to have consistency with anything if it always feels like a chore. You're going to have good days/bad days, times when you're killing the weights and not. Just remember...you're always making progress just by showing up and putting effort into it regardless!

Cycling and swimming mostly.  Currently training for the MS150; a two day bike ride with 100 miles on the first day and 75 miles on the 2nd.  I would like to finish the first day in less than 5 hours, and just finish the 2nd day.  

I also cook most of my food.  I do work from home 2/3s of the time, so this part is easier for me then others.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I have been peeved this last two months as all of a sudden I noticed that my upper weight thresholds have dropped 10%. 

Without knowing (obviously), it could be, as you alluded to, age.

If you've been leaning out, you might expect to see a dip in strength.

Could be overtraining / lack of recovery time. Could be cardio cutting into strength gains.

Caloric intake. None of the above  :wink2:

I'm into impersonal and dysfunctional training.....

• Haha 3

No gym for me ? I work hard very physical job 

have been on the gut health regime (thanks to the Mrs ?) aka Michael Mosley 

it really works have dropped a good 10 -15 kgs and no gym cut out processed foods keep carbs to a minimum will be joining her on her Pilates regime which to me a uninitiated philistine makes total sense she has drop 30 Kgs in just over 12 months  kudos to her ❤️

Everything in moderation makes total sense to me ?

• Like 1

I’m lucky enough that if I take the long way to work it’s 3.5 miles on a nice running path around the lake. I run the first 2 to 3 and walk the rest. Get the employees going in the morning then walk the 3.5 Miles back home to have brekkie and shower up.

When it’s time to lose weight it’s no sugar or bread and I go off the sauce for 1 month every year. Dropped 20# over the last 4-5 weeks.

I leave for Europe on Wednesday for almost 3 weeks...... I’ll probably put the 20 back on and start all over when I get home.????

I’m basically a masochist and do some freaky crap in the weight room. I work out 6 days a week for about 105 minutes on average, closely track my macros and eat insanely clean. I’ve had and am currently having bad digestive issues so that’s really made me cut my diet down so sharply. What I do is certainly not for everyone, but I’m 28, and what I’m trying to become in life requires a high degree of discipline, and this is the best realm to practice discipline. 

My exact routine is: 

Monday: Chest/shoulders/abs

Tuesday: Back, bi's, abs

Wed: Shoulders, rear delts, tri's, abs

Thursday: Legs, abs

Friday: Chest, tris, abs

Saturday: pull day (RDL's and some other hamstring work, back, rear delts, bi's, abs) 

By some miracle one of the nicest gym's in the country opened up in here in the north bay area so I'm always changing up my specific lifts in terms of strength, hypertrophy, and pump, as well as type of exercises. I mainly use dumbbells, cables and machines, and not a lot of barbell work. I've implemented a ton of time under tension and eccentric tempo into my progressive overload and got amazing results from it. I've been doing a lot of sled work as well during my cut which has been amazing. 

One crazy thing is I think I’ve had chronic gut inflammation for years. This is the first year I’ve cut out all foods that cause inflammation and my waist is 2-3 inches leaner, even though my body fat percentage is the same as it was in the summer last year, and I currently have about 7-10 more pounds of muscle. My suit pants look pleated and barely fit anymore. If you’re struggling with health problems, research gut health. IMO it’s the cause of many problems that people face today. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I have been getting out gyming 4-5 days a week for the past 12 months. It has helped immensely to keep me sane. 25 minutes cardio, 25 minutes weights...nothing too strenuous. 

I have been peeved this last two months as all of a sudden I noticed that my upper weight thresholds have dropped 10%.  I am trying to get them back but it is proving harder than I thought.  getting older has its good sides but this isn't one of them!

Do you have an excise/diet regime that works for you?  

Strength training has more variables than one would at first assume. When do you train during the day? What set and rep schemes are you using? I have been trying to up my Olympic lift numbers for the past 12 months and it is a strenuous process. I lift 6 days a week alternating between classic lifts and squats and more focused muscle building days so I dont burn out. What lifts are you trying to improve? For instance, I've found my weak spot on my front squat is my abs and lower back so I've spent some time on isolation work and the numbers are creeping up. PM me if you want and we can talk more in detail.  It's not just getting older. I know a 70 year old who can squat 3 wheels for a set of 10. 

One kind of obvious point: age does make a big difference, especially to recovery time and risk of injury, and it’s non-linear. At some point, often in late 30s / early 40s, lots of fit people see a step change in their physical capacity, usually signalled by an injury.

A moderate approach is a good long-term investment. My role model is my 81 year old mum, who boxes, does yoga, is slim as a film star and can still drink the thick end of a good bottle of wine with dinner.

1 hour ago, Kaptain Karl said:

One crazy thing is I think I’ve had chronic gut inflammation for years. This is the first year I’ve cut out all foods that cause inflammation and my waist is 2-3 inches leaner, even though my body fat percentage is the same as it was in the summer last year, and I currently have about 7-10 more pounds of muscle. My suit pants look pleated and barely fit anymore. If you’re struggling with health problems, research gut health. IMO it’s the cause of many problems that people face today. 

Doctor recently said I had symptoms of IBS. Since I've switched to lean proteins, more fruits and veggies I've been less depressed, generally more upbeat and my stamina for sports has gone through the roof (I miss cheese, fatty beef and large helpings of bread so much, ah well)... Really nothing to add here. You know that whatever you're eating is healthy or not. So just pass that brisket in the store and get fish or chicken. I get a lean NY strip if I want to spoil myself.

Running. By far the quickest way to burn calories. If I had my druthers, I’d be riding my bike 2-300 miles a week and going out Mtb every day, but with a 3yo and a one week old, it’s just selfish to take that much time.

My philosophy is that I have enough thinks keeping me in tiny, climate controlled rooms... my not gonna spend my free time in a gym. But not everyone feels that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

Doctor recently said I had symptoms of IBS. Since I've switched to lean proteins, more fruits and veggies I've been less depressed, generally more upbeat and my stamina for sports has gone through the roof (I miss cheese, fatty beef and large helpings of bread so much, ah well)... Really nothing to add here. You know that whatever you're eating is healthy or not. So just pass that brisket in the store and get fish or chicken. I get a lean NY strip if I want to spoil myself.

That’s awesome man!! 

I do miss being able to eat whatever I want, but I’ve felt so amazing on this lifestyle that I don’t think I can go back. Have you been taking supplements like turmeric/curcumin extract and ashwaganda? Also look up products like enterovite and repairvite from apex energetic...they’ve helped me a lot! 

24 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Have you been taking supplements like turmeric/curcumin extract and ashwaganda? Also look up products like enterovite and repairvite from apex energetic...they’ve helped me a lot! 

Thank you! Never actually looked into ashwaganda, I'll check that out. Just bought a giant tub of turmeric from costco, actually so i'm glad to hear that. Also, Cranberry extract, B Complex and probiotics.