Monte 2s—Always Plugged

Is there another cigar that is more consistently plugged than a Monte 2? I try the massage method/perfect draw, you name it—but it seems at least 40% of my Monte 2s are plugged— an issue I don’t have with any other cigar.

Does this happen to anyone else? I keep wondering if I’m getting stems like others on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

2s are good for me. 

I am wrestling with a problematic cab of PLPC currently. Frustrating. :rolleyes:

I had one box of P 898's from '14 or '15. EVERY stick was plugged. Every one. I invented the poor man's perfect draw in response. I have not sought them since...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dwamon said:

Is there another cigar that is more consistently plugged than a Monte 2? I try the massage method/perfect draw, you name it—but it seems at least 40% of my Monte 2s are plugged— an issue I don’t have with any other cigar.

Does this happen to anyone else? I keep wondering if I’m getting stems like others on this forum.

Considering they are now $525.00/box I would re-think buying them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I had one box of P 898's from '14 or '15. EVERY stick was plugged. Every one. I invented the poor man's perfect draw in response. I have not sought them since...

'13 Hoyo Du Gourmet for me. Bought 3 boxes, 1 box, all but 1 cigar was fully plugged, 2nd box was 50/50 and the other box was 'ok' with only a few plugged. They were a regular smoke until then, after I started opting for the Du Prince and Du Depute.  

In the end, I think that '13/14 run was the last we saw of the Du Gourmet. That experience lessened the blow.

In regards to Monte 2's. I find most Pyramids/Belicosos to smoke well, if anything they tend to be more underfilled than plugged. 

• Like 1

Don't get this with Monte 2 very often but I've had three boxes of Monte 1 and the majority of them have been plugged. I also experience this a lot with the Montecristo Especiales No. 2 and Portages 898 - these are the ones that seem to have the highest plug rate. Annoying as they certainly aren't the cheapest!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Monte 2, no real problem for me. RyJ Churchill is my nemesis. One of my absolute favorite cigars but way too many tent stakes. 

This. I've had 4 boxes of problems but I keep buying them for the unicorn that they can be

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dwamon said:

What RH are you storing at (& smoking) at?   Chances are it's way too high...

On 8/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, stevenhaugen said:

Don't get this with Monte 2 very often but I've had three boxes of Monte 1 and the majority of them have been plugged. I also experience this a lot with the Montecristo Especiales No. 2 and Portages 898 - these are the ones that seem to have the highest plug rate. Annoying as they certainly aren't the cheapest!

Agreed - have box of Monte 1 that just can’t take it. 

Monte 2s have been fine, and I smoke ALOT of M2s.  

My current war is with Trinidad Coloniales.  2 boxes in a row of absolutely gorgeous boxes, Colorado maduro with sheen wrappers and I can’t even get my perfecdraw to penetrate.  Unsmokable.

Also got a box of fireproof HDM DCs that I might as well toss in the garbage.  Another common stick I seem to have strange issues with a lot.

Chance and luck apply to all cigars but I find with piramides giving up on the "Instagram" look of the cigar and chopping off an extra eighth or quarter of an inch can make all the difference.

• Like 2