Favorite all time movie/monologue

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Big Lebowski. Yes, it's a film that lost money at the box office in 1998 and has since become an all-time cult classic. There's too many easily quotable lines from that film I can include but the

John Wayne in ‘The Cowboys’.  He rides into camp yelling at the boys to get up and get moving by saying, ‘let’s go, we’re burning daylight’.   One of the boys sleepily says after standing up, ‘burning daylight?? It’s still dark!’

My dad used to wake me up with that same phrase.

I've been thinking a lot about the movie Network lately.  It is even more relevant today with the internet and cable than when it was shot.  This scene when Ned Beaty as Arthur Jensen is sent down to redirect Howard Beale's messianic complex with his fire-and-brimstone corporate messiah monologue is awesome.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 99call said:

I heard that the first time they did this Shaw rambled into a sort of self confessional about his own life, failures etc etc...... at the end they realised there was no film in the camera.    Hard to believe this isn't a first take, so much fluidity, harrowing tension, warmth and poise

That's because he was blackout drunk the first time. 2 crew members had to carry him onto the boat and sit him in his chair to shoot the scene. Shaw rewrote certain parts of it and then asked Spielberg if he could take a few shots of liquor before shooting the sequence to better live in "Quint’s bitter revelry." Spielberg granted him permission but the actual first night of shooting the scene was a complete disaster. He came in the next day of shooting sober and killed it. The final scene in the movie uses shots from both nights although you wouldn't be able to tell from how well the scene was edited together. 

46 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Lebowski and The Jerk are my two favorite comedies of all-time. Since you went there, I'll go with this scene from The Jerk. I re-worded a few parts, but used the general speech in my proposal to my wife. Been married for almost 20yrs. 

You've got good taste...Navin and The Dude are two of my best friends...

• Like 1