Agree or Disagree? "Rocky Patel Says Scotch is the Best Cigar Pairing"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally find whisky too overpowering to accompany a cigar. While I do sometimes pair them together (normally at the end of a night when I may not be in the best position to make a well thought ou

Dear Mr Patel, 1. Scotch is not single malt. 2. Not all single malt is Scottish; regards from Ireland. 3. I have tasted Indian whisky.  It explains a lot. 4. The old dictum that th

Generally, I would prefer anything other than Scotch to pair with a Cuban Cigar.  I think the Scotch and Cigars pairing comes from trying to figure out something that holds up to the huge flavor profiles of NC cigars.  For a CC, any Scotch, even the ones low on peat, just wash over the cigar flavors and diminish them.  There's no give and take with Scotch and Cubans.  As far as spirits go, I think a black rum is the best pairing.  Beers in my opinion work best, especially molasses colored Belgians, or anything barrel aged.  I had a phenomenal bourbon barrel aged cream ale the other day with an Epicure Especial.  For non-alcoholic pairings, I'd say an Americano with a little cream, or Chinese tea works best, as Garbonz said. 

... as a teetotaler, I guess I am screwed then!!!  (This should bring some worms out of the wood... -LOL)

No wonder I have such a thing against guru tasters!

On the positive side, I am glad he has found nirvana and wants to share it. Kudos!

Rocky, when you start smoking the same cigars I smoke and give up on booze, I will have a listen...

-Piggy

• Like 2

Most often for me would be a straight up Americano if not that water or a XO cognac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me there is no single "best" drink to pair with a cigar.  A drink pairing depends on the cigar and where I'm smoking it.  As for scotch vs. whiskey, I'll take whiskey (preferably bourbon).  I also really like black coffee (or a cappuccino) with cigars... sometimes an Arnold Palmer.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SirVantes said:

True that. I'm a whisky whore, but I'll admit that if I'm to give a great cigar its due, I drink good ol H2O!

Whisky is approximately 60% H2O....

:)

• Like 1

Hell,

I like root beer,

as a pairing, with most of the older ELs.  I can remember a near religious experiance, with a PSD#3 and some homemade rootbeer, 5%abv.  

Root Beer also works well, with JL#1, and small gauge Montes, or Bolivar.

But I do enjoy a nice single malt, even with a cigar.  Hell even a nice blend, like Laphroig quarter barrel, which pairs really nicely with a RASS.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew}   

good for him, that's his personal opinion. whatever works best for every individual i say.

For me, its a nice Taylor Flatgate port, Benromach single malt or El Dorado rum most of the time. right now its mostly the port.

This is so subjective.  To each their own.   I used to enjoy a Scotch with a cigar but found it overpowered even the strongest sticks I had in my inventory.  I still do it now and then and not necessarily "Scotch" but other Whisky choices.  I prefer something bubbly (Cava, Prosecco, Champagne, etc), Port, Cognac and rum over it. I prefer to enjoy a nice Scotch just on its' own.  On the days I can't smoke, it's a good replacement for me.

• Like 2

Water or a good dry rhum (Barbancourt 8 year is the current go-to).

Not a fan of scotch (or RP cigars)

Seeings as I don't drink Scotch....I disagree. Rum for me and Bourbon second.

Lately though it's been a Negroni. I love the complexity of it. Sweet and bitter all at the same time.

• Like 1

Tennants Super, whist walking down the street. Obviously.?

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

After 3 years and 111 episodes of Sharing Our Pairings, my opinion is (from best to worst):

• Coffee, the absolute crowned champion of pairing. Coffee and cigars pair so perfectly together that nothing else comes close.
  • Pop. Dr. Pepper, Coke, whatever your sugary poison choice is, they pair very well with a wide range of cigars.
  • Rum. Like coffee, rum pairs so easily with cigars that it seems like cheating. 
  • Port. Brilliant with cigars.
  • Whisky. Irish, Scottish or Japanese. I alternate between the options depending on the body of the cigar. 
  • Champagne. Although you're limited in the upper strength range, super charges the flavors of a cigar.
  • Beer. Like whisky above, it's all about matching the body of the beer with the body of the cigar.
  • Tea. More challenging to pair than many of the above options, you'll have an easier choice sticking to herbal.
  • Wine has been, and continues to be, one of the most difficult things to pair with cigars (in my experience).

• Like 2