Agree or Disagree? "Rocky Patel Says Scotch is the Best Cigar Pairing"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally find whisky too overpowering to accompany a cigar. While I do sometimes pair them together (normally at the end of a night when I may not be in the best position to make a well thought ou

Dear Mr Patel, 1. Scotch is not single malt. 2. Not all single malt is Scottish; regards from Ireland. 3. I have tasted Indian whisky.  It explains a lot. 4. The old dictum that th

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:57 AM, Winchester21 said:

Personally I don't like his variety of NC cigars except for a couple that cost way more than they are worth. Truth is, I have just about given up on NCs except for a very few Padrons now and then. I find that I can enjoy a 50.00 per bottle burbon easier than a 50.00 per bottle scotch. I enjoy both when I get into the 100.00 + bottle range with a great cigar. The rise in burbon popularity has made finding good bottles more and more difficult. OTOH there are many good scotches readily available in my area if one is willing to pony up the cash. Taste preferences are so personal that there is no right or wrong answer to what you "should" drink with your favorite cigar. 

In the spirit of not being more cruel than necessary, I will repost this well reasoned opinion.  I think the NC cigar manufacturers are mostly sour grapes regarding Cuban cigars anyway, and since sour grapes is a terrible cigar pairing (regardless of cigar), I usually take most of their opinions, regarding cigars, liquor, cars, women, etc with the same grain of salt.

Prefer rum (Zacapa 23) but I do like Balvenie Caribbean Cask and the 21 but rum is still my favorite pairing. 

(Besides a nice complex coffee...or Irish coffee)

I very much struggle with the perfect pairing concept.  I have no doubt that there are some things that do go better together for some palettes, but mine clearly is not developed enough to appreciate all the nuances.

For me, I like smoking cigars.  I also like drinking Real Ale, strong Belgian beers, Single Malt Scotch, quality Vodka, good sipping Rum, Tequilla, Bourbon, red wine, white wine, pink wine, cheap wine, Champagne, crappy prosecco from Aldi and a myriad of homemade cocktails.   I am a man who can find smoking happiness whilst sipping my incredibly delicious homemade Bloody Mary through a straw and I am almost certain you will not find that combo on any recommended lists. :P 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, Lotusguy said:

His cigars are one (small) step above Gurkhas, so .

That is great ,BUT, I find that pairing is something to everyone's personal taste.

As for Rocky Patel, It's a way for Rocky to sell more of his cigars and for him to go to Cuba more often.

It's only a comercial for N.C.s and nothing more in my opinion not to be taken seriously .

Guy

• Like 1

Well for me as much as I love scotch in all its diversity between that and Rum I lean towards Rum there seems to be more of a synergy between Rum and Cigars  even though I pair both ,but when all is said and done it's whatever floats your boat 

cheers 

• Like 2

I've always been a scotch guy.  The more peat the better.  Never been a huge bourbon guy as it's a little too sweet.  But, I don't like most scotch with cigars, or rye whiskey.  They just don't match well - I compare it to the oddness (not the taste) of brushing your teeth after coffee.  I do, however, like bourbon with cigars.  

A similar thing with beer - I really like IPA's, and haven't historically liked browns/stouts very much.  The complete opposite with a cigar.  They complement each other so well, and I feel like I get more out of both.

Remember when I made a joke calling them pootels.

Ooops, there I go again.:covereyes:

And if you drink Dr Pepper, may I suggest Faygo Red Pop? 

Recent review:

"A luminous hue of ruby ink with a wink of purple, this stuff is refined and intense. There is a wealth of sensuous fruits, fresh flowers and the essence of crushed stone. The texture is pure velvet. The finish stays with you like a fragrance in the air, long after she’s left the room."

CB

16 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I've always been a scotch guy.  The more peat the better.  Never been a huge bourbon guy as it's a little too sweet.  But, I don't like most scotch with cigars, or rye whiskey.  They just don't match well - I compare it to the oddness (not the taste) of brushing your teeth after coffee.  I do, however, like bourbon with cigars.  

A similar thing with beer - I really like IPA's, and haven't historically liked browns/stouts very much.  The complete opposite with a cigar.  They complement each other so well, and I feel like I get more out of both.

Riverstyx, we have similar tastes.   I like a barrel proof bourbon with a cube-Four Roses works well;  or a peated scotch,  esp with a medium to strong body cigar.  A beer with some backbone also works well.  

:buddies:

• Like 1

I really like most of the rocky patels that i have tried.  Its always nice to know that every cigar in the box is going to perform as intended.  No plugs, never under or over filled, never throwing out 10-20% of a box....   The 50th being my favorite, goes very good with Blantons.

• Like 1

The cigars that I like and the scotch that I like are each all about subtleties that are utterly destroyed when the two step all over each other as you consume them simultaneously. Consequently, I don't. I don't listen to my favorite album while watching my favorite movie, either.

I have fun with the experimentation and am willing to try anything with a cigar. I have found some combo's I really like:

Coffee--Across the board, this seems to pair well with almost every cuban I have had. I am a cream and sugar guy with super strong coffee. HU, Cohiba, JL, Trini's come to mind straight away.

Rum--I have to say, rum and Cohibas are like peas and carrots. Zacapa and a Coro...other-worldly.

Scotch--Not my favorite with a cigar. Maybe a lowlands scotch like Auchentoshan would work a bit better.

Bourbon--Some of the better Bourbons with a heavy vanilla nose work pretty damn well with a cigar. A Maker's Mark Manhattan and an RyJ...Wowzers!

Wines--I can't say I like cigars with reds. I had a few in Italy and they just seemed to clash with the cigar.

I have yet to try champagne with a cigar. I need  to fix that before Jeremy tells me to shut up. LOL!

To each his own--whatever tickles your pickle. 

Largely depends on mood with me too. Cigars and champagne are very good together. I'm kicking back right now with a RASS and a Guinness and they're going together like peas and carrots! Red wine isn't the best pairing, though I happily combine the two often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Islay Scotch - 100% agree!

i do however enjoy my Rum and a Cigar and a Bourbon as well. Some nights, hell, all 3!

• Like 1