MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #18

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #18: The Shawshank Redemption

For what it's worth, this film has held the highest viewer rating on IMDb for some time now... I remember seeing it at the cinema when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't feel it was a classic then, just a pretty damn good movie, but it certainly has made a strong case for that title as the years have passed, revisiting it... great story, great performances, etc and so on... anyhow...

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

Give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, M1B said:

one of the few that is better than the book.

Not to go too far off topic.

But that's a pattern with Novellas, and shorter novels in general.

I think Fight Club the movie is better than the book too.

Had a teacher tell me she liked Death in Venice better as a movie.

Of Mice and Men was great as a movie.

I don't know if A Christmas Carol is better as a movie, but it's certainly a great movie in several adaptations.

• Like 4

10/10 for me, too. Incredible movie. The dailogue, imagery, and symbolism are impeccable. The short story by Stephen King was excellent, too. His work has always been hit or miss with me, but this one was definitely a gem. One of the few movies that nearly equals the literary work, imo.

I always found his short stories translated better to film, imo.

• Like 2

*A perennial favorite for me too. Favorite scene (that I live for) is when Clancy Brown is waiting for Boggs in his cell and clobbers the living shite out of him until he's gonna live out his life in a wheel chair drinking his food through a straw!

• Like 1

All time classic great movie. Really, what’s not to like? 10.

Probably the best Steven King film adaptation.  Great story and a great movie.  I agree with others here that it's tough to skip over it if it's on.  "Do you trust your wife?"

• Like 1

Finally, a movie that I have actually seen and can comment on; that makes me 1 for 18! Read a lot of the early King books when I was younger and always thought this was a good story. But very different from what King normally wrote, so didn't really go back to it to reread. Watched the movie and realized it was a great story. I don't normally seek out movies, but if I stumble upon this, I will always stop and watch it from wherever it's at.

10 out of 10 for me.

• Like 4

It’s an all time classic, 10/10. 

When I first saw it, I must’ve been about 14 yrs old. Just about when I started to be able to comprehend more complex storytelling. It left me thoroughly impressed and has done so every time since. Credit to Frank Darabont for directing this masterpiece.

4FFE1587-08ED-4702-BF4C-7DE4D0D6678B.jpeg.d413cfe6c1d8fdb1dcac5dc9bbd666cb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1