Deep Dive: Partagas Serie D Number 4

El Presidente

Partagas Serie D Number 4   

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Partagas Serie D Number 4 :D

It is the number 1 selling premium cigar in tha Habanos world. 

It is a cigar that is almost always in my personal rotation. 

Let's talk D4 this weekend. 

• Do you like D4?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Robusto? (CORO/BRC/E4/CX/C1/Reg/Epi 2 etal)
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a D4?
  • Do the poll!

Let's Party with D4  :cigar:

• Like 2

Love a D4. My go-to robusto 2/3 of the time. I haven’t noticed a change in the blend in the last 10yrs but members with longer experience can probably better comment on that. I’ve always found it extremely consistent and reasonably priced for those who want a more savory cigar with some body. For me, they can take anywhere from 50mns to an hour and a half depending on what I’m doing. Also consistently a cigar that smokes well at almost any age which is hard to find.

• Like 2

When I don't know what to choose, but want a cigar that will be strong at times and sweet at times I reach for the D4.  It never lets me down and is my most consistent smoke.  Gave my father in-law one of these, who typically smokes NC and he loved it. So good with a rum, scotch, red wine and even liked it with some sweet tea. Its right up there with my RASS and CoRo. I just had one, 2021(FOH PSP) and it was a 95 in my book.  Long live the D4

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I need to smoke some 2020's or 2021's. The 2018's I have have been pretty blah with one or two really good ones. 

How would you compare them to the 2020 HdM DC’s? Sorry folks, inside joke... 😂

• Haha 2

Arguably my favorite cigar. The complexity, the multi dimensional flavor profile. Especially when they have that oily dark wrapper leaf. Takes me about an hour an half to smoke as I smoke slow, especially the D4 since I savor the flavors. My 2019 and 2021 boxes have been stellar.

• Like 2

Good cigar. Like the cream, paprika, earth flavor profile. Can't say I like the current $340 per box price. Current '15 box I'm working on was $199usd if I recall. These post covid prices are lunacy. 

• Like 3

I like them a lot,from my fairly limited experience with them. I had a recent one that was easy 94 points I would say.

• Like 1

I know I'm in the minority here, but D4 is a cigar that I "don't get". I've tried plenty over the years and have yet to find one that I liked. Not even a PSP '20 box is doing it for me right now. I would rank the D4 as my least favorite in the robusto category. Please don't hate me for this guys.

• Like 4

This is my favourite robusto. Together with HdM epi2, it was the cigar that got me hooked on Cubans but I have noticed it was weaker in taste five years ago compared to 2020-21. Now it’s on fire, I don’t know what they’ve done to the blend but it’s better than upper echelon cigars  now. Many 95%. I’ve gone deep on these and when they pop up I ask myself if I should get more… 

• Like 1

I have had a couple of these from 2016-2018 that were lackluster and frankly put me off Party in general. I do have a couple from 2019-2021, I'll put one in the dry box and see if I can get to it this weekend. So many cigars to smoke!

• Like 1

Love the D4. Always in my weekly line-up. Since 2019, these have been on a tremendous run. No need to lay them down, although time just improves the richness of the flavour profile. It’s also one of the most consistent performers from Habanos. Rarely have a construction or burn issue. 

• Like 1

the d4 can be great, i have a bmp nov 16 box that i'm savoring. not all are amazing, but there's a very good average. honestly, the d6 blend is better to my palate, but pricing is ridiculous, an that factors-in for me.

i always get the sourdough note, and i love it. some good spice and rotating notes of earth or woodiness.

partagas might be my favorite marca, and i really enjoy the d4, but i get why some may not.

-dobbs

After about 2010, I hadn't smoked too many, I was stuck on CORO and RASS, with CORO my favorite. I can say that the 15 or so D4 I've smoked over the past couple years from 2019/20 boxes were much richer and satisfying than any from the 8 or so years prior. Like was mentioned, the blend is not usually consistent. A few of those D4's from 19 and 20 did impress me tho. They are just rolled Everywhere, so it's not too surprising, the inconsistencies. I've honestly enjoyed more D5's than 4's over the last decade.

Something I really don’t get-

The great ones over the last few years were filled with that distinct signature sour cream note that people love. When they taste like that they are out of this world. I would smoke that every day. 

however, overwhelming majority of D4 I’ve had Have a slightly less refined heavy perfume/floral flavour, lacks complexity, class and elegance. 

Why this Is the case, I have no idea

but I wish they all tasted of that distinct cream note found only in special D4s. 

(note that I have only had a handful of what I consider the ‘good ones’, most boxes/ years have all been more towards the perfume flavour.)

• Like 1

Don't have a lot in my stock.  The older ones are a dream to smoke - savory spice, sourdough and sometimes a sweetness.  There an easy smoke to grab but they're much better if you let them go to the 5 year point - hard to do though ...

• Like 4

The only D4 I've had that was exemplary was from the blind tasting this year which was an aged cigar.  All D4s in my inventory are at the bottom of the pile as a result, like most of my Robustos, they are waiting for time to work it's magic.  There is just something about Robustos for me that doesn't seem to mesh.  I see the raves from people about all kinds of Robustos and I just shrug my shoulders.  

• Like 3

So, I'm smoking a D4 I got in trade, told it was 2020. I'm not particularly impressed. A couple of thoughts I had while smoking 

- tastes like a Cuban Fuente, with all the bad connotations of both 

- this would be better in a smaller rg.

At about 2/3 it becomes very full, almost the strongest CC I've had. It's got earth and leather and some sourdough, I'm just not particularly impressed. Fine cigar, I just like other things alot more.

I'm a moderate fan of Party short (they seem to perfectly scratch the itch), I had a fantastic Party MF last year, I've been blown away by E2, but I wouldn't line up for D4. 

D4 are so solid. The first Havana cigar that caught my undivided attention. Everyone I share one with loves it. The flavor is so consistent - only one box has disappointed, it was from ‘16. Something was missing, flavors were muted. Other than that outlier, an absolute star at a price point you can’t beat.

• Like 2

I love them, but there is a lot of variation between boxes, so you have to pick. Partagas may be my favourite marca, and while a robusto is no one’s special occasion smoke, it’s a wonderfully useful vitola. The combination of Lusi / E2 / D4 & Short is pretty damn amazing.

• Like 3