Your Cigar of April 2021?

2 hours ago, Thirds said:

Never would’ve guessed this “cheapie” would’ve wowed me as much as it did but it was the most memorable of April.  It’s 2012 or 13 I believe...sourced a a box after the experience.  Maybe it was low expectations or time simply did wonders.  

Original Vegueros weren't cheapies. They were very high quality cigars. I miss having them around. Like smoking a freshly cut lawn--in a good way. 

• Like 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1995 Punch Double Corona. Pure cigar bliss! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cohiba Sig VI GR - almost a 100 pointer. Vanishingly close. Work Anniversary, fully vested!

ARG Jun 2015 Cohiba Siglo VI. I had some other excellent cigars too in April but this was the best.

7 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Did a blind taste test with the boys and guessed it was a Bolivar Libertador....one of my favourite sticks.....turns out it was a Mag 50 from 2019 and I never rate the Mag 50, always prefer the 48 and 54.... I bought a box of the Mag 50 off the back of this....how strange it is when you smoke something without the bands and have to gauge size and tastes from it....

20210429_125705.jpg.e104105c31bdf7cc41fb640b7d875cfb.jpg

It was very good agree. Almost bought a box myself tbh. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

I think the boli is a much bigger cigar ....noticeably bigger even without bands adding a layer of trickery ......cool little effect it had on you tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it didn't fool me when we did this blind tasting ! I nailed the Upmann 50 within the first 5 min, that Upmann DNA was everywhere. I think what helped me what that I've had the 46, Connie A, Connie B, Connie 2 and Sir Winnie in my last 10/12 cigars or so. 

• Like 1

It was a tie between a  MC #2, LUB MAR 14 and a HURR, UPE NOV 12. Both show 5 stars over at CCW.  I think the age and RH were perfect on these two so they were  just about perfect, for me anyway.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Original Vegueros weren't cheapies. They were very high quality cigars. I miss having them around. Like smoking a freshly cut lawn--in a good way. 

I didn’t realize they held a higher place in the totem pole.  This was a fantastic cigar.  Thanks for the education.  

1 hour ago, Thirds said:

I didn’t realize they held a higher place in the totem pole.  This was a fantastic cigar.  Thanks for the education.  

I wouldn't consider them as having been an "upper tier" brand but they were certainly considered on par with every other non-Cohiba. Certainly not considered a lower tier brand like JLP or Quintero. No one considered Vegueros a lower tier brand until the re-release and IMHO it deserves its current place. Laguito No. 1 & 2 are classy vitolas and HSA treated them as such with the old Vegueros. They still don't command (or didn't) top dollar in the vintage markets but I always enjoyed them and appreciated their quality. 

Quite frankly, today's Vegueros are not very impressive and the cheesy 16 tin packaging doesn't help. Shame since the originals really were underrated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:08 PM, rcarlson said:

'98 SLR Lonsdale.  Thanks @HabanaMike!  Killer smokes, great hang.  

I’ll second this 

• Like 1