The elusive '100 point' cigar

My own personal feelings about the flawed 100 point system aside; Cigar Aficionado has teased there is a 100 point cigar for the next issue.

Questions:

What do you think it is? (I think it will be a vintage Cuban)

Is a 100 point rating ever warranted? 

Have you had what you believe is a 100 point experience, and what was it?

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I smoked a Dunhill Malecon on the Malecon in Havana with Laura, the manager of the Dunhill humidor in London.  That was a great cigar. really good. One of the most memorable I'll ever have, but n

I agree with that - as well as for any cigar smoked with good friends in good harmony. That's why maybe that 80's Lancero made that 100 points impression when I smoked it in HK with just a friend to s

I take 2 puffs, if it’s not a 100 pointer I throw it in the toilet.  Grab another

They throw around 99's with some regularity in the "Connoisseur's Corner" so I would agree with you that it's probably an aged Cuban. My first guess would be an OR Behike. 

I think the difference between 99 and 100 points is psychological more than anything. If you give a cigar 100 points, than that's the Pinnacle. The top, the very best ever. Does that mean you'll never have a better cigar/experience?

For what its worth, I wouldn't rate any cigar experience I've had at 100. I can count half a dozen 97, 98 point experiences. But most where in Cuba, so I think the atmosphere has A LOT to do with how much you enjoy a cigar. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The best I have had to "100 points" would be Cohiba Gran Reserva or Punch Robusto Edición Regional Suiza 2005. 

Had plenty of vintage and exclusive stuff, but those two above really made an impression.  No, it was not bevy of girls around me while I smoked them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think there are two ways to view a 100 point (anything). To some it means perfection, in that case how can you be sure? It's only perfect in regards to what you have experienced thus far. There is always more out there... 

Another way to view it is just acknowledge that there are many 100's out there and there will be more. To your experiences at that given time it is perfect. I think that is a fair statement. I smoked a Siglo II at the Hotel Nacional years ago when I was just getting into Cubans. That was a 100 pt cigar. If I smoke a Siglo II today will it be 100? Probably not. 

• Like 1

Suckling throws the 100 pointer a lot.  

He certainly does a lot more now than he did back in the day with WS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To give a cigar 100 points assumes it could never be better. I think anything can always be better. For me even a 97 or 98 would be extremely rare.

• Like 1

I had one--a Partagas P2 that was gifted to me before I was into Cubans.   It was the only one I had so I put it away for ten years or so--finally smoked it.

It seemed like every fruit flavor that existed (and a few new flavors I had never had before) exploded from the cigar--and it was strong, almost overpowering.

I am still waiting for another smoke to get there.    

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nino said:

My 100 points cigar was a Diplomatic Lancero smoked with MRN in HK - but I agree with others here, it is mainly the situation that leads to the high rating.

Yeah, but I bet that cigar was really, really good!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kevin48438 said:

I great cigar could have burned 10 minutes slower.  Never “perfect.” 😌

Or it might have turned bitter in those hypothetical extra 10 minutes, thus in fact perfect.  Dear Lord, the paradox.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLC said:

He certainly does a lot more now than he did back in the day with WS.

Remember his old Connoisseurs Corner?  He’d have a 100 pointer almost every month, pre embargo stuff, 20 year old this, 40 year old that.  Nothing that could be likely replicated.  Silly stuff.

• Like 2

I've had maybe 400-500 cigars in the past year. I've only tracked the ratings since October (so about half of them). Since then I have 17 5/5 ratings on my 5 point scale. But over the whole last year 3 truly memorable very high 90s scores (2 out of those 17, and one from before): an aged Cohiba Coronas Especiales single, a 1999 Partagas Serie du Connaisseurr No. 1, a recent Montecristo Especial.

Maybe if I had cigars that smoked that well regularly I could say which is 98, 99, 100, but I might as well call any of those 100 points for me, given my batting average.

• Like 1

July 15 2010. A 1970 Cuban Davidoff No 1.  @ebhead and I smoked them at his place.  It was paired with IIRC, some Dom P and the movie Predator. :D.  Perfection from head to foot. It started off light and floral and then slowly progressed into a sweet baked good, then to a rich, bold bodied smoke by the final third. No harshness, just smooth all the way through. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 100 point cigar = "I can't have asked any more from a cigar.The best or equal to the best that I have ever had"

There was a CORO experience in the early 2000's that I still taste. I think I cried with joy. 

My second or third Cohiba Gran Reserva.  Bloody hell.

Davidoff No 1 smoked in Shanghai.  Por larranaga Magnum in Havana. 

you tend to remember your 100 pointers

as for the scale itself, it works well enough. 

I like the smithy hot chick 1-13 scale /

A 10 is very very good. Model material. 

there is still a gap between model and goddess. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

My 100 point cigar = "I can't have asked any more from a cigar.The best or equal to the best that I have ever had"

There was a CORO experience in the early 2000's that I still taste. I think I cried with joy. 

My second or third Cohiba Gran Reserva.  Bloody hell.

Davidoff No 1 smoked in Shanghai.  Por larranaga Magnum in Havana. 

you tend to remember your 100 pointers

as for the scale itself, it works well enough. 

I like the smithy hot chick 1-13 scale /

A 10 is very very good. Model material. 

there is still a gap between model and goddess. 

Speaking of chicks, we can't forget the hot/crazy matrix scale...

A goddess must be 14 on the hot chick scale and not much more than 4 on the crazy scale.

For JS, PL Magnum, perhaps?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Have you had what you believe is a 100 point experience, and what was it?

Every Time I've had one with a friend ...

Little saying I heard once " It's not about the cigar" 

Just my .02

Rob

• Like 3