The one cohiba

There have been many very good reviews of the Medio Siglo recently but I haven't tried. I think about it this way. In a single night/sitting, if I were to spend $20, would I smoke 2 Siglo 2s or 1 Coro? Probably 2x S2. If I were to spend $30 in a single night, I'd probably smoke 1 Siglo 6 instead of 3 Siglo 2s. 

It's a different proposition when I'm buying boxes. Am I going to save for a few months to buy the S6? Or will I be tempted by the 24:24s and buy a box of Siglo 2 whenever my cigar fund hits $250? If history is any indicator, I am not able to hold out and wait till my cigar fund hits $800. Those sales are way too tempting!

Cohiba ≠ bang for buck

Almost all Cohibas are about the same price per gram except Siglo VI which has become way out of whack.

I've found the Siglo II and the Robustos to be the most inconsistent of the lineup. As they are the most produced it's no shock. I generally avoid both.

I go for the most likely to be smoking well. Lately, that's the Siglo I and Medio Siglo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordAnubis said:

What do you think? Factoring in size, cost, enjoyment, if you could only own one box of cohiba, what would it be? 

For me it's either Piramedes Extra or Medio Siglo,  but only because is the only blends that actually make sense to me.  The rest of the Cohiba portfolio, either goes under my radar, or over my head. 

• Like 1

100% agree with the Siglo 2 based on size, cost, & enjoyment.  I prefer the Siglo line over the classica line and like the Sig2 over the Medio Sig but you’re getting diminishing proportional value for the more expensive the Cohiba. The Cohiba Shorts are also to be considered here. If you don’t like the Sig2 blend as much as others than I get that there is little value there because you’re value baseline is starting with the vitolas you enjoy the most.  

V and VI are both quite rare. (and I love them both, especially the VI)

Lancero is my favourite cohiba, followed by the Esplendido.

The Sig III 5 packs prez has had up a couple times lately have been decent priced. <$20 for a single SIg III isn't end of the world pricing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Grady said:

Is there really no love for the Siglo V or are they just too hard to come by?

A bit of a unicorn. You can find tubos, but I haven't seen a slide lid box anywhere in a while.

• Like 1

@LordAnubis Could you both be correct, in your own minds? The petit corona is a nice size, and smoking two sounds enticing. I have not tried all Cohiba vitolas, so far my experiences with Medio Siglo has really good flavor, consistency, construction - in the few I've had. They last a while, longer than they appear, but I still want a bit more time, they fit a certain time span perfectly.

Siglo II, mine have been rolled a bit tight. Drying them out an extra bit helps a lot, and alleviates this enough. There is certainly nothing to really fault the few Siglo II I've had for flavor, aroma, or smoke time. Had one last week and can see where you are coming from. It was a delightful cigar. Could take the same position on Siglo I, though having not tried them, I won't. The bit of extra length on Siglo II is nice and I can see the value proposition.

My choice for size, cost, enjoyment, with only being allowed one box: Siglo IV.

It’s Medio Siglo for me.....not cheap now at $16 per stick ($13x pre COVID) but nothing Cohiba is as tasty....I like MS better than my CoRo or Sig IVs....and the MS last deceptively long (1.25-1.5 hours) for such a short stick.

and @JohnS is correct to point out the LOTR reference (one Cohiba to rule them all) :)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RDB said:

Great size. But they have become extremely expensive for a relatively short smoke.

this. all cohiba have increased in cost recently, but the coronas especial has increased inordinately.

so for me, if it's just one box, it has to be the esplendido.

-dobbs

18 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Almost all Cohibas are about the same price per gram except Siglo VI which has become way out of whack.

I haven't done the math on all of them, only the ones I have, but Lanceros and CCE are 50% more per gram than Siglo III.

Esplendidos are 33% more per gram than Siglo III.

Robustos are pretty close.

Also I sometimes like to do the math in terms of smoking time, which for me is very different than for a normal person ?

bang for buck confuses the issue :thinking:

Medio Siglo is the best out of a fresh  box but at $400 ish.....oooh. 

Siglo II  at high 2's early  3's would snare it. 

That is what makes the Coloniales on special such a great pickup. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I haven't done the math on all of them, only the ones I have, but Lanceros and CCE are 50% more per gram than Siglo III.

Esplendidos are 33% more per gram than Siglo III.

Robustos are pretty close.

Also I sometimes like to do the math in terms of smoking time, which for me is very different than for a normal person ?

Yes, the Linea Clasica are a bit more per gram. And obviously the Maduros are also much higher. The Linea 1492 was introduced to be a bit lower in price.

25 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Siglo II  at high 2's early  3's would snare it.

Would absolutely agree the II is the winner. My issue is its inconsistency. Production numbers are off the charts for it. I find the I to be much more consistent but $8-9 for a Perlas is a tough buy for me.

@LordAnubis  I would agree. The Siglo II is a solid performer for me and makes for an "affordable" or at least, good bang for the buck Cohiba.  My favourites are still the CoLa and Espy but in the Siglo line, the II is king.  The VI's can be glorious or pedestrian from the same box and that irritates me.  The Sig I is my next pick from that line.

18 hours ago, Bijan said:

A bit of a unicorn. You can find tubos, but I haven't seen a slide lid box anywhere in a while.

I’ve seen them, and I love them, but cost difference between 5s and 6s or evening esplendidos makes them something I don’t buy a lot of.  They are $$$.

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

@LordAnubis  I would agree. The Siglo II is a solid performer for me and makes for an "affordable" or at least, good bang for the buck Cohiba.  My favourites are still the CoLa and Espy but in the Siglo line, the II is king.  The VI's can be glorious or pedestrian from the same box and that irritates me.  The Sig I is my next pick from that line.

Lot of guys love the 2s.  I’m not a huge fan myself, don’t get me wrong they are good, just the cost of them for a petit corona, I think there’s better options outside Cohiba for me (BPC or Party Short).  Again that’s for me.  Outside of my splurge boxes of 6s, or esplendidos, I end up buying the CoRo’s and Siglo IVs most often.  Can’t point to why exactly, but for me these hit the sweet spot for cost, enjoyment, and length of time I can enjoy the smoke.  To each his own.