Special cigars you refuse to smoke

That said ......how many do you (and other members feel free to answer also!) do you tend to keep u touched towards the end of the box? Just a couple? At least five? Some may smoke half, save half? .......5 is usually my “don’t touch the rest” number lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason I seem to get stuck on two left. One left becomes fair game but two, with no back-up box, is a sticking point. I've currently got half a dozen different cigars in this situation. Makes no sense and I eventually realise this, smoke one of the two then the other goes soon after. Or I get the back-up and I'm good to go, until the next time and it starts all over again.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of vintage and HTF cigars that I do smoke.  Only one can I say I may not smoke. It's a Cuban Diplomatic lancero gifted to an Argentinean diplomat back in the 1970s. It was from a humidor

Two cigars......just because I don't seem to be able to allocate the time.  They are from the 2004 Montecristo Humidor (one very long & one very unique)   Montecristo A - 47 x 235  Sal

You guys convinced me to smoke one of my "one and only" sticks tonight. It's fantastic right out of the gate. Thanks for the extra push! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Luca said:

For me it is my (2) cigars of LFDC Cristal Tubos (Pre Embargo). However I feel that I shouldn't plan on a special occasion to smoke one. I reckon one day (as @Fuzz said: "You'll just know...") ill smoke one when I feel like it (regardless of the occasion). For me personally - a special occasion cigar isn't very different to me smoking a regular production cigar. I'd be happy with anything on a special occasion!

@Luca It's also not just the occasion, but the company that is important.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

For some reason I seem to get stuck on two left. One left becomes fair game but two, with no back-up box, is a sticking point. I've currently got half a dozen different cigars in this situation. Makes no sense and I eventually realise this, smoke one of the two then the other goes soon after. Or I get the back-up and I'm good to go, until the next time and it starts all over again.

For me its 3 left since I smoke with 2 other people semi regularly. I like to have one per person of the same cigar to offer when smoking with friends and family.

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yes, they would require at least 3 hours each, Trevor!

But someone like @JohnS would smoke a MCA  in a bout 45minutes. Am i Right @Fuzz? ?

• Haha 2

Definitely a smok'em and enjoy poll. Totally agree.  Prompted me to pull out a 2011 Monte A to fire up I had been hording. Of course not my absolute last one. ??

• Like 1

For me it's the last 4 Sticks of Quintero Churchills (they are actually Lonsdales) I bought these Cigars back in 1998 while living in Geneva. I still remember walking into my favorite Cigar Shop Tabac du Rhône, the owner showed me some vintage boxes that someone had brought in, in those times Habanos were still fairly priced. 

He had Cuban Davidoffs, Cuban Dunhills, and since my budget was good but not great, I had remembered that one of the best rated Cubans on CA was the Quintero Churchill. If I remember correctly I paid 150 CHF for a box of 18 Cigars. I also bought a couple of Cuban Dunhill Estupendos Tubos and 1 Davidoff Dom Perignon. I think the total was not more than 250 CHF, today you can't even get 1 Cuban Dunhill for that price. 

I smoked the Davidoff Dom Perignon that same day, I remember it was good but not great. I gave away one of the Dunhill Estupendos and latter smoked one myself, I do remember this was a great cigar, I had regretted given it away. And then there were the Quintero Churchills, I took incomplete 18 cigar box back to Mexico. And I still remember smoking the first one out of the box, pure heaven, the best Habano I have ever smoked till this date. Just pure pleasure, sweet, creamy, chocolate, great finish. 

Since then I smoked a couple more, each time it had to be a very special event, other times I was stupid and gave them away in a drunken range to people that never really enjoyed this vintage classic. I still have 4 left,  I will probably smoke the next one on my son's first communion, then again I am afraid that they will not be as good as before, since the oils have gone away. Also I don't remember the Box Code, since I threw away the box, just remember that it was the old HECHO EN CUBA stamp. I figure they were from the 80's. 

So these are my don't touch just look Habanos. I will post a review once I have the next one. Thanks for reading my post. 

• Like 3

Mine are in different categories, I do have special occasion cigars, I also have cigars I don't smoke, just because they are discontinued and hard to find, have a full box of trinidad robusto extra 07, may sit on those for years to come. And have a box of 06 familiars signed by Alejandro Robaina that I will never smoke. The signed box isn't the same without cigars. Screenshot_20180917-171852.thumb.png.be09647275684bb5d8f6c52f8d05ce07.pngScreenshot_20180917-171926.thumb.png.0cc0eb1a867e3f9ad63b44678c4ca6e0.png

• Like 4

Wonderful thread and great read! Totally respect your opinions, guys.

I have many boxes of cigars I will not smoke or open. Many are sealed in wraps of plastic or glacine wrap. I am an obsessive collector.

Sometimes my interests change. Like I used to like RE’s. Not so much any more and either smoked my favourites or traded them. Same with some LE’s. But some LE’s sit wrapped as collectibles.

Have to say the top 3 special ones I will not smoke are Behike, 1966, Monte A.

Just find they are better off left alone. So many others are fair game.

CB

Nothing I would refuse to smoke, everything will be smoked in due time. For certain cigars, I am waiting for the right moment to smoke them. Nothing set in stone, I usually just know when it's time, might be this year or in 10 years.

Mind you, I have enough cigars to smoke 1 per day for the next 5 years, so it's not really something I think about. 

21 hours ago, BarryVT said:

, I also have cigars I don't smoke, just because they are discontinued and hard to find, have a full box of trinidad robusto extra 07, may sit on those for years to come.

I have 1 '07 left, those were hands down my favorite cigars.  You're lucky to have a whole box left!

On 1/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, bundwallah said:

I have a lot of vintage and HTF cigars that I do smoke.  Only one can I say I may not smoke. It's a Cuban Diplomatic lancero gifted to an Argentinean diplomat back in the 1970s. It was from a humidor for an Indalecio Llievano Aguirre, a former Foreign Minister for Colombia.  The bands bear his name and title.  It came from the humidor below.  The seller contacted me about wanting to sell this but had no idea where to start. It turns out this diplomat married his mother, passed away and this was in her possession.  She gave it to him not too long after. He doesn't smoke, but knew this might have some value.   I reached out to someone who deals with this who had it examined by several well known cigar people for authenticity and a deal was brokered. It was auctioned off and apparently one stipend in the deal was that 1 cigar find its' way back to me for my troubles. :)  Thanks JC wherever you are!

DipHumidor04.thumb.jpg.4a1fff31208a9f7ffda60a9b18f19923.jpg

Now that's a story!

Thanks for sharing.  

I have a half box of Lanceros from the early ‘90s I smoke from every year. I am an ERDM whore, and I have a bunch of early 2000 boxes of lonsdales, Tainos and PCs I smoke sparingly. Nothing is off limits, and I am currently smoking all my ELs from the early 2000s because I am still not impressed and don’t think I ever will be. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, HarveyBoulevard said:

Only have two boxes I don't touch but once a year.  A box of JUN 13 Du Prince and a box of NOV 13 Cohiba Siglo IV.  Birthday boxes for my two little girls.  Fire one up on each of their birthdays.

Other than that, ever cigar is fair game every night...

I’m the exact same with the RA Gran Bretaña and the Dip El Ambajador only smoke them on the kiddos birthday then bury them until the next year everything else is fair game weather permitting 

1 hour ago, cigaraholic said:

The only cigars I have that are special to me are one’s given to me by friends....but I do have 1 special cigar I will never smoke...

6F07E20C-F36E-4C7B-98D5-35A3ED38B217.jpeg

Something fishy about that cigar

• Haha 2