Special cigars you refuse to smoke

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of vintage and HTF cigars that I do smoke.  Only one can I say I may not smoke. It's a Cuban Diplomatic lancero gifted to an Argentinean diplomat back in the 1970s. It was from a humidor

Two cigars......just because I don't seem to be able to allocate the time.  They are from the 2004 Montecristo Humidor (one very long & one very unique)   Montecristo A - 47 x 235  Sal

You guys convinced me to smoke one of my "one and only" sticks tonight. It's fantastic right out of the gate. Thanks for the extra push! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I do have special cigars I only break out for birthdays (kids and wifey), but other than that, they're all fair game.  The only caveat is for the rarest, I won't touch them until I am sure they are acclimated to which ever humidor condition I think they warrant.  For my birthday, I usually try to smoke the rarest or craziest or best cigar I have.  This year was a Fuente Angel's Share 888.  Best of the line, easily, of a blend that can hold its own against any Havana.

But, yeah - smoke em, don't stroke em! ?

• Like 1

The only reason some of my cigars don't get smoked is because I am too lazy to dig down into my humidor to drag them out. If they were more easily accessible, they would be free game. For me, cigars are just like my booze, meant to be shared not hoarded for eternity.

• Like 1

It’s the first cigar of a special full box that I struggle to get past. After that the box is fair game. I’ve got a full box of TEB 08 Bolivar robustos that I look at occasionally, but can’t bear the thought of the box not being full.  —-sam

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sam said:

It’s the first cigar of a special full box that I struggle to get past. After that the box is fair game. I’ve got a full box of TEB 08 Bolivar robustos that I look at occasionally, but can’t bear the thought of the box not being full.  —-sam

I'm mostly the same.  Once a box is broken into, they seem to go pretty quick.  I do have some that I run down to one or two sticks and struggle to make myself smoke them...not sure why.  Guess the fear of not being able to replace them.  I have a couple of 2014 Behikes and some 2013 Siglo VI that I just can't quite manage to finish off.  Smoked a behike at my wedding and a VI when my son was born.  Enough great life events and I'm sure I'll close them out.

• Like 1

After something like 5 years every thing is fair game. I think one can wait too long on that special smoke, especially with post 2000 production. 

• Like 1

Ultimately (for me) if any cigar I have goes above £50 in value, I usually sell them,  as I also greatly enjoy fresh cigars, and I know I get just as much enjoyment from £7-10 pound cigar. 

That said.  I sold a 10 box of Bauza Corona Gigantes Cristal the other year, and although they got a whopping price.  I've never smelt a cigar which has a wonderfully intoxicating bouquet........some part of me regrets selling.   

But much like Rob,  I have such a hard wired sense of value (instilled by my parents), that if I were to smoke a £200 cigar, all I would be thinking about would be my Grandad looking at me saying "what on earth are you doing boy!??"

• Like 3

Absolutely everything in my cabinet is fair game. Decided that after a near death experience a while back. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cazador said:

The last cigar a friend gave me before he died.

I did this for 7 years and then realized (a) he wasn't coming back and (b) he would want me to smoke it and think of him for 90 mins while making a sizable dent in a bottle of single malt.  I keep the band and will never forget him or our last smoke together in spirit. An Esplendido from 2006 that is the only 100-point cigar I have ever smoked--or ever will.

• Like 2

I bet I could be invited to some of your humidors and pick a stick or two that you would not want to smoke. It's not that there are sticks we don't want to smoke, it's that we have an idea of a time, place, person or atmosphere that we are waiting to have in order to light that stick up. I'm not just going to say F it and light up my current oldest cigar on a weekday out of the blue. I'm going to have good company, good bourbon, and plenty of time to relax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The value of a cigar is only considered when purchasing it, not when reaching for it. Sometimes I question if I reallllly need that $750 box, but I never question if I want to smoke a $30 cigar I already own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

I bet I could be invited to some of your humidors and pick a stick or two that you would not want to smoke.

Perhaps so. If I were to offer you a cigar, the only ones I'd try to steer you away from would be those I've known to be crap - otherwise the choice is yours. Always interesting to see the various perspectives - and they are all valid. It does seem that for some, price and / or age play a part in a cigar being special. I kind of flip it around - for me an occasion might be special, and if a cigar becomes involved, it would more than likely be secondary, or even less so. A bit of spice or sauce to the main course, so to speak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prodigy said:

I'm not just going to say F it and light up my current oldest cigar on a weekday out of the blue. 

Uhh ... I do this all the time ... why would you not smoke yer oldest cigars ???

derrek 

• Thanks 1

Uhh ... I do this all the time ... why would you not smoke yer oldest cigars ???
derrek 
Because I don't have that many of them yet haha. I've only been in the cigar game a little over 2 years, Cubans more like a year. I guess when I get to a point where I have access to so much I won't care so much about what I smoke. Right now I only have a very small handful of sticks over 2 years old, so that's probably why I cherish them lol!

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

Because I don't have that many of them yet haha. I've only been in the cigar game a little over 2 years, Cubans more like a year. I guess when I get to a point where I have access to so much I won't care so much about what I smoke. Right now I only have a very small handful of sticks over 2 years old, so that's probably why I cherish them lol!

I’ll chime in on that as well. I’ve got plenty of other great smokes to enjoy on a regular basis. It’s nice having a baseline of ‘daily’ cigars, to compare the ‘special’ ones against. 

• Like 1

For me it is my (2) cigars of LFDC Cristal Tubos (Pre Embargo). However I feel that I shouldn't plan on a special occasion to smoke one. I reckon one day (as @Fuzz said: "You'll just know...") ill smoke one when I feel like it (regardless of the occasion). For me personally - a special occasion cigar isn't very different to me smoking a regular production cigar. I'd be happy with anything on a special occasion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1