JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

Hi John, thank you so much for another year of excellent and very educational Smoking Diary! You are doing incredible job. 

I am wishing you and you family very happy and prosperous New Year.

All the best with your new business endeavor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

Another fantastic shift you've put in John, Hats off to you. Was really looking forward to your thoughts on the RGCdeL,  gutted it didn't play ball, but fingers crossed for the next review in 2024

As ever thank you for all you focused, diligent, insightful work. It continues to enlighten and guide the community in aspects of history, production, and most importantly potential purchases. 

We are all the richer for your endeavours. 

• Thanks 1

John, your contributions to the forum are appreciated. I especially always enjoy your thoughtful reviews. All the best for 2024!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers John. I haven’t posted a like to your reviews in a while so here I go again, I’m loving all your reviews brother and I appreciate all the time and detail you put into them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Cheers John. I haven’t posted a like to your reviews in a while so here I go again, I’m loving all your reviews brother and I appreciate all the time and detail you put into them. 

@JohnS smoking diaries are like Netflix to me. I purposely don’t read them for 3 months, then I binge-read!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Chas.Alpha said:

@JohnS smoking diaries are like Netflix to me. I purposely don’t read them for 3 months, then I binge-read!!!

You and I operate very similarly 😁

• Like 1

Happy New Year to you! Your reviews are always insightful and your love for the leaf is really evident. Look forward to reading more when you are back. Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 12:33 PM, JohnS said:

Sancho Panza Gran Quixote 2017 - Edición Regional Belux (circa 2018)

The Sancho Panza Gran Quixote Belux Regional Edition is a curious cigar. Its tapered head and foot-shaped perfecto vitola immediately draws attention as being unique for a special release, and indeed this is the case. Only the 2011 Chinese Bolivar Distinguidos and the 2011 German Juan Lopez Distinguidos have been released in a similar vitola (known by its factory name of Romeo). Otherwise, in regular production the Cuaba Distinguidos has the same dimensions. There have also been three special releases each in the Cuaba and Romeo y Julieta marcas featuring this 52 ring gauge x 162 mm (or 6⅜ inches) length cigar.

This cigar represents the fifth BELUX release (of six in total) and coincidentally perhaps, also the fifth Sancho Panza Regional Edition release. Since its inception, there have been two further Regional Edition Sancho Panza releases; the Chipre-Grecia Omeros and Asia Pacifico El Rey. Incidentally, it's easy to confuse BENELUX Regional Editions with BELUX ones when researching these types of cigars. BELUX Regional Edition cigars are released for the Belguim and Luxembourg markets. At one time BENELUX releases covered these two markets and the Netherlands one. Currently Paises Bajos Regional Editions represent the Dutch market on its own.

Although a 2017 release, it wasn't until December 2018 that ten thousand 10-count Slide Lid Boxes were made available to the public (so one hundred thousand sticks in all). It didn't take long for the Sancho Panza Gran Quixote to establish positive 'word-of-mouth' and with it, strong demand.

I lit up the tapered foot quite easily and the cigar soon settled into a full-flavoured example true to its marca. It was replete with wood and salt, with some nuttiness here and there. The cigar remained quite heavy on the palate throughout and didn't evolve much over two hours. By contrast, the last Sancho Panza Gran Quixote I had three-and-a-half years ago was quite different. It had an array of flavours such as fine oak, espresso coffee, toast, roasted nuts and orange citrus. The mouthfeel on that cigar was quite smooth and 'velvety' which elevated it above your standard Sancho Panza Belicosos or Non Plus regular production cigar. By comparison, this SP Gran Quixote was more 'standard fare'. In other words, typical Sancho Panza, only more full-flavoured.

I am grateful to @Perla for making this review possible. I consider myself fortunate for sampling it today but I must admit that my previous SP Gran Quixote I smoked in early 2020 was more to my preference, only because it was more delineated, milder and honestly easier to smoke. Still, this was fine for a Sancho Panza cigar.

Thanks for the review! I just got a box of these and am excited to try one!

• Thanks 1