JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

2023-09-2516_06_36.jpg.45412c3e6ad9db1bb20bf1f0ff4faa08.jpg

Padron Family Reserve No.44 Natural

The Padron Family Reserve Series are a line of cigars that commemorate special family anniversary dates within the Padron Family. The Padron Family Reserve No.44 was the first release of this line which came out in 2007. Initially, the Padron Family Reserve No.44 was only available at Padron events where a family member was present, and thus the inspiration for the naming of the brand.

Family Reserve cigars follow the Padron tradition of using quality Nicaraguan tobacco and come in sun-grown natural and maduro-wrappered varieties. The No.44 is the only torpedo vitola within the series. It has a 52 ring gauge and is 152 millimetres or 6 inches long. Like the greater majority of Padron cigars, the No.44 has a notable box-press to it. I acquired this cigar in a 5-pack Sampler box, together with the Nos. 45, 46, 50 and 85. Family Reserve cigars are also available individually in 5-count and 10-count options.

According to Padron, the line was blended to produce, "exceptionally smooth, complex, balanced and full-bodied flavor". In comparison to the 1926 Series and 1964 Anniversary Series, the Family Reserve Series is milder in body on account of using ten years-aged leaves, instead of five years like those aforementioned lines. In terms of strength, one could rank the 1926 Series as having the most strength, the 1964 Anniversary Series the least and the Family Reserve Series between them. (Although I would categorise the Family Reserve Series as been closer in strength to the 1964 Anniversary Series rather that the 1926 Series.)

I took my Colibri V-Cutter and applied it to the head of this cigar prior to lighting. As usual, the draw was a touch loose (as is typical for Padron cigars) and it was effortless to smoke from the first puff to the last. As for flavours, as I've mentioned in my recent review on the Padron Family Reserve No.85 (Natural), overall it's been said that the Family Reserve Series is not as flavoursome as other Padron lines. This is categorically untrue. What should be stated is that the flavours are much more subtle, more nuanced. This No.44 Natural had notes of light cocoa, coffee, cedar with a sweet cinnamon throughout. Whereas the No.85 had a soft anise or dark cherry flavour to it, this No.44 had some almond or marzipan notes. Like the No.85, in comparison to fuller Padron cigars, the No.44 is easier to smoke, in my opinion.

The Padron Family Reserve No.44 was ranked no.4 in Cigar Aficionado's Top 25 cigars of the year in 2018. Now, these lists can be subject to scrutiny, but in my opinion, it's not hard to see why it was classified within the Top 10 ranked cigars that year. In my view, it's a quality cigar and ideal if you are looking for smooth, nuanced flavours. If you want bold, fulsome flavours, then stick with the 1926 or 1964 lines instead. Otherwise, if you want to celebrate a special occasion, this just may the type of Padron cigar you are looking for.

Great review of this cigar.  Padron should hire you, John!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

2023-09-2513_54_55.jpg.b777ef9aa5201ec80660568331e548ac.jpg

Sancho Panza Molinos ABR Oct 2011

I mentioned in my first review upon opening this box of Sancho Panza Molinos in late-2021 that 2006 was a bad year for Sancho Panza. Four vitolas, the Bachilleres, Coronas, Coronas Gigantes and Sanchos were deleted that year. In 2012, one of the last remaining regular production Lonsdales was also deleted, the Molinos. Why, oh Habanos S.A, why?

Indeed, if we turn our attention to the Lonsdale, a 42 ring gauge x 165 mm (or 6½ inches) in length cigar, 2006 also saw the discontinuation of the Diplomaticos No.1, Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale and Saint Luis Ray Lonsdale. In 2012, alongside the Sancho Panza Molinos, the Vegas Robaina Clasicos was also deleted. Even the Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.1, an inconspicuous cigar within that marca, saw the 'chopping-block' in 2017. Lamentably, only the Montecristo No.1 survives to this day in this vitola in regular production. Given that Montecristo cigars (and Cohiba) tend not to get discontinued, I have every confidence the Montecristo No.1 will remain, but to think there's only one cigar left of its kind seems quite incredible. Nowadays, we can see Habanos S.A.'s commitment to ceasing the release of any more cigars of this size in the Bolivar Gold Medal, a cigar that enjoyed a LCDH special release in the 2000s for a time on two occasions, recently become available again with an increase in its girth to 48rg. Personally, I find it all too hard to fathom.

The last ABR Oct 2011 Molinos I smoked was around six months ago. In general, these aged Sancho Panza Molinos have had a nice balance of salted cream and wood, yet they've been light on the palate. They've varied in their floral notes but they've been fantastic to smoke and definitely much more interesting than recent Sancho Panza Non-Plus!

The last Sancho Panza Molinos I had acquired, prior to opening this box, was from a Family Cruise holiday I took throughout the Caribbean. The boat docked in port in Jamaica on the trip and I visited the LCDH there at Falmouth in December 2018. In the shop was a box containing around six to eight sticks, that's how long they were in the shop from 2011, so that may explain why they were deleted.

Ten years is a long time to wait before opening up a box of Habanos cigars but when it comes to the Sancho Panza Molinos, it's a cigar that benefits greatly from having significant time down. This is now my eighth SP Molinos from this box. Once again, it was very easy to smoke, easy on the palate yet it still had significant body and flavour to suggest that it had plenty of life in it. The cigar was a tale of two halves; the first half was floral, sweet and replete in cream, the second half was more wood and salt but still maintained a core element of the flavours found in the first half. Of course I nubbed it and as I stated in my last review on this cigar, I felt that after smoking it, it was nowhere near its expiry date. In my opinion, based on how these have been smoking, in general, it's not even a question I'd consider for another four or five years. By then, I'd think I would have finished the box! If so, it's a pity, naturally, that I can't re-stock this now discontinued lonsdale cigar.

It's a shame though that more cigar enthusiasts are not familiar with how well Sancho Panza ages and how uniquely good they can be. If you have Sancho Panza in you humidor, excepting the SP Belicosos, and especially the recently discontinued (and reintroduced) SP Non Plus, then keep in mind to give them time to develop. I'm confident you'll be glad you did in the long run.

@JohnS Your reviews are wonderful as always and I'm excited every time when I see the notification that you've written some more.  Thanks to you and @99call, another bona fide fan of this diary, for acclaiming Sancho Panza.  It's such a great brand and has become one of my very favorites in the last year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, oneizzzz said:

Great review of this cigar.  Padron should hire you, John!

Haha...thank you!

20 hours ago, oneizzzz said:

@JohnS Your reviews are wonderful as always and I'm excited every time when I see the notification that you've written some more.  Thanks to you and @99call, another bona fide fan of this diary, for acclaiming Sancho Panza.  It's such a great brand and has become one of my very favorites in the last year or so.

Great to hear. Well, what could one add? Sancho Panza...you could say it's an acquired taste, yet it's certainly unique amongst Habanos cigars too, in terms of its flavour profile.

• Like 1