JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

On 10/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, JohnS said:

2023-08-2616_03_07.jpg.a4e77b391f43664c314a54aa81efdd74.jpg

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.1 (circa 2010)

The La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.1 was a unique thin ring-gauged cigar on account of its vitola, 36 rg x 185 millimetres or 7¼ inches in length. Only the LGC Medaille d'Or No.1 was released in this factory name, a Delicados Extra. It was discontinued in 2010. I would like to acknowledge @Perla for making this review possible.

Nowadays, the La Gloria Cubana marca is somewhat of an oddity in that it was Pre-Revolution brand (founded around 1885) that was discontinued in 1960, in the rationalisation of brands initiated by Tabacuba at the time. Nearly all the brands that went by the wayside never returned, except the La Gloria Cubana brand, which returned in 1965 and has remained ever since. When the LGC Medaille d'Or No.2 was discontinued in 2014, it meant that there was only one regular production La Gloria Cubana cigar left, (the Medaille d'Or No.4) but in the last year or so the brand has expanded with the release of the Turquinos and LCDH Glorias.

The first few draws of the cigar revealed a combination of Earth, leather and spices. The draw and combustion are fantastic for a long-and-skinny like this one. As this cigar is already at least thirteen years old, the flavours have well-and-truly settled, melded and were quite mild.

In the middle third, the flavours continue to show the cigar's finesse...nuance and subtlety is what this long-and-skinny is all about. The core flavours in the first third remained and were joined by some coffee and wood, which were both on the light side.

Cigars within the La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or series have a solid reputation of having excellent aging potential. I can only imagine would this cigar would have smoked like when it was first rolled. One thing I do know, it can't be compared to a recent LGC Glorias or Turquinos. No, this was very different. Not better...just different.

Glad you enjoyed the LGC. I was curious about your thoughts. It was a box from 1994, and still alive. 
happy to share. 

On 10/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, JohnS said:

2023-08-2416_12_41.jpg.1d20d39857d554a6360b58a53cb7a6d1.jpg

Tatuaje VI Victorias

The Tatuaje VI was created in 2006. It was Tatuaje’s first cigar produced in Nicaragua at the My Father Cigar Factory. Vitolas within this line have a Nicaraguan binder and filler and a Habana Ecuador wrapper. The Tatuaje VI Victorias is a Laguito No.2 size, that is...38 ring gauge x 152 millimetres or 6 inches in length. The cigar even comes with a triple cap and pig-tail, much like the Montecristo Especiales No.2 and Cohiba Coronas Especiales. I must thank @Perla for providing this cigar for me to review.

Tatuaje VI cigars are also known as the 'Red Label' line, for obvious reasons on account of the band. These Tatuaje cigars are also reputed for being quite 'Cubanesque' in nature. The reason for that may have to do with no ligero leaf been used in the blend. I unravelled the pig-tail with my thumb, lit up and was immediately impressed with a cream, hay and pepper/spice hit that was quite distinctive for being indicative of a Habanos cigar.

As I smoked the cigar down it had more of a cedar characteristic in its middle third. In the last third it had diminished in its creamy texture and built up in leather, Earth and pepper or spice. The cigar was easy to smoke as the draw was spot-on. It was medium in strength and medium-full in body, especially in its last third (which I considered closer to full-bodied).

Upon finishing the cigar I reflected on why this line of Tatuaje cigars is so popular with cigar enthusiasts. Quite simply, it has qualities that resemble a Habanos cigar but it is rather obviously Non-Cuban in its essential characteristics. Perhaps it's this inter-twining of both these types of cigars that appeals to its proponents. Maybe you can have the 'best of both worlds', as they say!

I had a few this summer and they really blew me away. 
This summer season I really enjoyed the Victorias, MC Esp 2 and the Nudies from 2019 & 2021

• Thanks 1

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

13 hours ago, Perla said:

Glad you enjoyed the LGC. I was curious about your thoughts. It was a box from 1994, and still alive. 
happy to share. 

Oh wow, that's great to hear. I could re-adjust the original review but I think I'll leave it just the way it is. To know that it was sixteen years older than what I had cited is a testament to the longevity of cigars.

13 hours ago, Perla said:

I had a few this summer and they really blew me away. 
This summer season I really enjoyed the Victorias, MC Esp 2 and the Nudies from 2019 & 2021

Oh indeed...nice smokes!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 8:10 PM, JohnS said:

my first cigar from this box was ordinary whilst the next two were similar in been simple-blended typical Punch-flavoured cigars, perhaps marginally better than average. The fourth one was a revelation and the fifth one was a little below average. The sixth one represented the first cigar since the box has reached the three-year mark and I was well-satisfied with it, in terms of blend and flavour. Today's Punch Punch Tubos, the seventh from the 10-count box, thankfully continued the upswing in trend, in my opinion.

Another affirmation of the old 4 to 5 years of age and Cuban cigars really start to shine, even in tubes.

The Hemingways were getting to be favorite of mine before I became obsessed with Cuban cigars. Fuente has always made a consistant product, imho, and I can think of an island not too far from the Dominican Republic that could take a class or two from their neighbors.

Thanks for the reviews!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

Another affirmation of the old 4 to 5 years of age and Cuban cigars really start to shine, even in tubes.

The Hemingways were getting to be favorite of mine before I became obsessed with Cuban cigars. Fuente has always made a consistant product, imho, and I can think of an island not too far from the Dominican Republic that could take a class or two from their neighbors.

Thanks for the reviews!

Well said. Thank you! 👍

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Cohiba cigars should not be rolled incorrectly like this. It's a travesty of common decency! After all, whoever said, 'you get what you paid for' most probably never purchased a box of Habanos cigars.

Very well said!!

• Thanks 1