JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi John, thanks for the reviews. 
when the Noellas hit the market, many moons ago I bought 2 jars. Never regretted it. Lovely smoke. I have to hide them otherwise they will be gone too soon. 
the RA Bajos had been part of a trade. Lovely little buggers. 
again thank you for writing all the reviews I really love to read them. Happy to donate some cigars and hope you enjoyed some of them. 
In remembrance of Mike: no time like the present 💝 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Perla, I can say that, yes, I've enjoyed the greater majority of them. The thing I've appreciated is getting a chance to experience the differences and variations one can experience in Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars, no matter their quality. I look forward to expressing these findings in the next series of reviews, over the next few months.

"In remembrance of Mike: no time like the present." So true. Well said!

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 11:18 PM, JohnS said:

H. Upmann Noellas 2009 - La Casa del Habano Exclusivo (circa 2009)

The H.Upmann Noellas is a 2009 La Casa del Habano Exclusivo release that was produced in 25-count glass jars. Originally, the cigar was a standard production cigar that was discontinued in the early 1980s. The original LCDH release came out delayed in late 2010, but the cigar has been regularly re-produced since. The HU Noellas is a 42 ring gauge x 135 mm or 5⅜ inches Cosacos. It has the same girth as a Petit Coronas but is one-quarter of an inch longer.

Contemporary reviews at the time found these to be quite intense in flavours and I must admit that I've had a few younger that were more dominant in bitter espresso flavours. Retrospective reviews have been a little kinder to this cigar, as today's smoke was much, much milder and was much more pleasant. I'd like to thank @Perla for allowing me to sample this original re-release LCDH cigar.

The wrapper was typical for every H.Upmann Noellas I've had in that it had a slightly reddish hue but was rather non-descript. The draw was slightly tight but thankfully it smoked okay. The first third revealed some fantastic H.Upmann flavours and this is where the cigar really shined. H.Upmann shortbread, milk coffee, cinnamon spice, cream texture...it was all there in spades and it was marvellous. The second third saw some additional cedar and leather which continued into the final third with smoke white pepper more evident at the end.

At the time of its original release the critical consensus amongst cigar enthusiasts was that the HU Noellas needed extensive time to age and develop classic H.Upmann flavours. I can happily report that this example, at well over ten years of age, was shining example of that wise piece of counsel. Thus, it goes without saying that I feel very fortunate to have experienced how outstanding this cigar was today. If you have a glass jar on hand, do yourself a kind favour and allow your HU Noellas the time to develop. Who knows? One day you too may enjoy a smoking experience as superlative as the one I've described for you within this review.

Totally agree John - I had the OR jar and they just kept getting better with age. I now wish I would have started smoking them at 10 yr mark. My last few were easily 95 points. I felt mine with extensive age had a similar profile to SW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Totally agree John - I had the OR jar and they just kept getting better with age. I now wish I would have started smoking them at 10 yr mark. My last few were easily 95 points. I felt mine with extensive age had a similar profile to SW

It may seem to the casual reader who peruses this Smoking blog that we may be embellishing our view of these aged H.Upmann Noellas, or indeed - dare I say, exaggerating. However, unless you've experienced both a young H.Upmann Noellas and an aged one, you can't make that comparison to the H.Upmann Sir Winston because you'd struggle to link the possible resemblance.

I completely concur. The similarity you mention @KCCubano is quite apt, in my view.

9 hours ago, JohnS said:
It may seem to the casual reader who peruses this Smoking blog that we may be embellishing our view of these aged H.Upmann Noellas, or indeed - dare I say, exaggerating. However, unless you've experienced both a young H.Upmann Noellas and an aged one, you can't make that comparison to the H.Upmann Sir Winston because you'd struggle to link the possible resemblance.
I completely concur. The similarity you mention KCCubano is quite apt, in my view.

The Noellas are outstanding in my opinion. I’ve gone through three jars for 2013/2014 and have had a few from a MEG DIC 15 jar and it has been the best batch so far. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1