JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

On 4/14/2023 at 9:18 PM, JohnS said:

So, when was the last time you smoked a Double Coronas and if you have some in your humidor, are you reticent to smoke your stock given the current production hiatus of this vitola?

The last time I reached for one was probably sometime in the fall, before things got REAL cold here in the mitten state.

As for your second question, I'm CERTAINLY reticent to smoke the stock I have of them. I have a week long vacation coming up that I figured would be a good time for my only BCG. Will I take a Lusi? RAG? Espy? SW? I want to bring them all, only I don't know if more age will benefit them. Lord knows it's probably fat chance that I'll ever purchase any of them again. 

On another note, thanks for keeping the reviews coming @JohnS. They're certainly a pleasure to read! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gormag38 said:

The last time I reached for one was probably sometime in the fall, before things got REAL cold here in the mitten state.

As for your second question, I'm CERTAINLY reticent to smoke the stock I have of them. I have a week long vacation coming up that I figured would be a good time for my only BCG. Will I take a Lusi? RAG? Espy? SW? I want to bring them all, only I don't know if more age will benefit them. Lord knows it's probably fat chance that I'll ever purchase any of them again. 

On another note, thanks for keeping the reviews coming @JohnS. They're certainly a pleasure to read! 

I can certainly relate to this predicament!

Thank you too, for your appreciation of this series! 👍

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

I may still need to wait a little longer

Isn't it interesting that in both cigars De Prince and HUPC respectively they are still maturing to where they should be i.e. their potential.   I'm always struck by enthusiasts giving vitolas like DC's a de facto decade, out of respect, when in actual fact sometimes that bares no relation to how 'ready' the cigar is,  whereas PC's and smaller cigars rarely get the respect and opportunity to mature.   I wonder if this actually has any relation to what people associate as being valuable cigars i.e.  if they are just churning through PC's 8 mths after they've been rolled, but giving DC's 8 yrs,  they are naturally going to have a skewed perception of what is 'quality cigar'.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

This Saint Luis Rey Serie A, at eight-and-a-half years of age, opened with an abundance of hay and chocolate, together with typical stonefruit flavours of apricot or peach. Along the way it picked up notes of espresso coffee and cedar

I've always wanted to love this cigar, and in many ways it should be in my wheelhouse. I don't know if I've always been unlucky with examples I've had, but their was always so much going on with these, so many flavours, so many colours blended together....than the effect I always seemed to get was a muddled brown, manure (not in a good way) taste to them.

Again I think it was just a poor reception of my palate in particular.   Still desperately want to like them, but I guess the scarcity will naturally put an end to that frustration. 

Did MRN say that these were a difficult cigar to get along with? if he did, I think I would be inclined to agree with him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 99call said:

Isn't it interesting that in both cigars De Prince and HUPC respectively they are still maturing to where they should be i.e. their potential.   I'm always struck by enthusiasts giving vitolas like DC's a de facto decade, out of respect, when in actual fact sometimes that bares no relation to how 'ready' the cigar is,  whereas PC's and smaller cigars rarely get the respect and opportunity to mature.   I wonder if this actually has any relation to what people associate as being valuable cigars i.e.  if they are just churning through PC's 8 mths after they've been rolled, but giving DC's 8 yrs,  they are naturally going to have a skewed perception of what is 'quality cigar'.

The longer cigars probably get more time down, in general, because seasoned cigar enthusiasts have more time for the shorter cigars in their rotation in comparison to the longer ones. Therefore, this phenomenon can often occur 'by accident'. In my opinion, it's no coincidence that the shorter petit corona-sized cigars that needed more time to savour have since gone 'by the wayside'.

10 hours ago, 99call said:

I've always wanted to love this cigar, and in many ways it should be in my wheelhouse. I don't know if I've always been unlucky with examples I've had, but their was always so much going on with these, so many flavours, so many colours blended together....than the effect I always seemed to get was a muddled brown, manure (not in a good way) taste to them.

Again I think it was just a poor reception of my palate in particular.   Still desperately want to like them, but I guess the scarcity will naturally put an end to that frustration. 

Did MRN say that these were a difficult cigar to get along with? if he did, I think I would be inclined to agree with him.

Definitely, I'm with you here. This is a cigar that can easily have a 'muddled' feel on the palate.

Yes, MRN did say that this marca wasn't for everybody in his magnum opus, "An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars".

• Like 1