JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

As a consolation, I hope these reviews can continue to serve and guide you in your choices when it comes to your appreciation of our cigar hobby.

Keep up the good “work”, John. It’ll be fun nonetheless, I reckon. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Keep up the good “work”, John. It’ll be fun nonetheless, I reckon. 👍

Thank you. True, it will be fun. Even though my acquisition of Habanos cigars with post mid-2021 box codes is much less in comparison to my other inventory, I believe the reviews will remain relevant for the greater majority of our members, nevertheless.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years.

good to have you back John.   Something always feels wholly wrong with the world, when you can't periodically check in to 'Johns smoking diary'.   when it's not there, with a recent update, I know I always feel a little gutted, and aimless. 

loved your paragraphs on the Beach Boys...I'm a huge fan.....and i enjoyed where you went with it. 

As ever keep up the good work. Hat's off to you Squire!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

What does one make of all this? I say nothing. Welcome to the world of cigar smoking, whereby views on cigars are highly subjective and opinions serve as a guide upon the enjoyment of our shared hobby. For, you see, it's okay to extol the virtues of this cigars knowing that other cigar enthusiasts are likely to be bemused at what the fuss is all about.

I great couple of lines John....The recent deep dive on the RGPC was a personal matter for me.  I could not comprehend anyone bagging this cigar...........but wait.....of course I could.   The reality is, we are binary society ....seemingly in everything these days. A perfect 50% want erratic fireworks, and drama, and the other 50% want a comfy brandy nightcap and slippers. 

What can I say!?  I'm all about the brandy and slippers....... The RGPC is a reflection of a life lived, that point whereby, you've sowed your wild oats, and you've learned a thing or two. You are looking for something (in every element of your life). that is both excellent, refined, trustworthy, and most importantly not ruinous on either your emotions or your pocket. 

I would like to be as generous as i can to those who don't realise the greatness of the RGPC, but when you really boil it down......they must just dead inside lol

The RGPC, is a gourmands cigar, it may be middle of the road, but the middle of the road is where perfect balance also resides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:20 AM, 99call said:

good to have you back John.   Something always feels wholly wrong with the world, when you can't periodically check in to 'Johns smoking diary'.   when it's not there, with a recent update, I know I always feel a little gutted, and aimless. 

loved your paragraphs on the Beach Boys...I'm a huge fan.....and i enjoyed where you went with it. 

As ever keep up the good work. Hat's off to you Squire!

Thank you Stefan, much appreciated. I could go on for hours about certain topics...1960s pop music being one of them. 

On 2/13/2023 at 8:40 AM, 99call said:

I great couple of lines John....The recent deep dive on the RGPC was a personal matter for me.  I could not comprehend anyone bagging this cigar...........but wait.....of course I could.   The reality is, we are binary society ....seemingly in everything these days. A perfect 50% want erratic fireworks, and drama, and the other 50% want a comfy brandy nightcap and slippers. 

What can I say!?  I'm all about the brandy and slippers....... The RGPC is a reflection of a life lived, that point whereby, you've sowed your wild oats, and you've learned a thing or two. You are looking for something (in every element of your life). that is both excellent, refined, trustworthy, and most importantly not ruinous on either your emotions or your pocket. 

I would like to be as generous as i can to those who don't realise the greatness of the RGPC, but when you really boil it down......they must just dead inside lol

The RGPC, is a gourmands cigar, it may be middle of the road, but the middle of the road is where perfect balance also resides. 

Haha...dead inside, I know what you mean. You feel like asking, "are we devoid of our senses, or what?" Then again, one man's appreciation for subtlety is another's lament at mediocrity, I suppose.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, JohnS said:

Thank you Stefan, much appreciated. I could go on for hours about certain topics...1960s pop music being one of them. 

What did you think of the 2014 film "love and mercy" John?  hopefully you've seen it.  It really focused a lot of my thoughts about the Beach Boys. 

In a way I'll reference the great deal of emotive hype that was built around Tarantino's inclusion of the foot tapping "stuck in the middle with you" during a torture scene in Reservoir Dogs.  Obviously the juxtaposition affect has been also used to great affect in countless Scorsese movies also, especially 'Mean Streets'

It's to say that enveloped into...... the over sweet .......the over sunned...... meringue of the Beach Boys music, was the much darker much more powerful and impressive unique "Beethoven of pop" talent which is Brian Wilson.   That combination is so powerful, the simple innocent teenage lyrics intertwined with melodies that are the absolute height of musical complexity. 

It's such a sadness that the genius of Brian Wilson has drawn in such bottom feeders, and people that has sought to take advantage of him.  God only knows what other music he could have written with the right kind of understanding and support.

• Thanks 1

I thought that Bill Pohlad, the director of Love and Mercy, did a great job with this biopic on Brian Wilson. It does well to avoid the usual stereotypes of biopics.

I heard a reference from a podcast review on YouTube recently that creative artists in general enjoy a 5 to 7 year window when it comes to their creative peak. I reflected on this statement and marvelled at how true it was. When we think of the time period certain artists absolutely excel it's amazing how true that '5 to 7 year window' is. For example consider the golden period of the Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Eurythmics, Stevie Wonder just to name a few.

Personally speaking, incidentally I've reached my 5th year doing this blog series. I feel I'm getting better and still have something new to share and reflect upon. I guess that keeps me going.

As for Brian Wilson, think about what he achieved after having to give Chuck Berry royalties for the big hit, 'Surfin' USA' because he allowed his brother Carl to keep that Berry riff in the song. This made him determined to build upon his influences in such a way that his new compositions were always meant to be an original, yet pay homage to his influences. This included Phil Spector, George Gershwin and Johan Sebastian Bach. It's Wilson's take on the simple, yet complex melodic style of Bach that culminated in his absolute zenith during the Pet Sounds-SMiLE era. Yes, it's a great tragedy that he didn't have the support to keep going. He peaked around that 5 year mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As always, love the reviews, perspective, and info/background you provide!  Glad to see the return of the 2023 edition of JSSD.

On 2/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, JohnS said:

It's available in Natural and Maduro varieties. The wrapper, as mentioned, is of the Cameroon sweet variety and both the binder and filler contain aged Dominican tobacco.

Your 2023 AF Hemmi WoA review inspired some research.  I found some conflicting info. re: details of the Maduro's wrapper (see e.g. two CA links below with different wrapper info). Retailer sites were also contradictory, but probably less reliable. I was surprised by any reference identifying the Maduro wrapper as a cammi as my own experience and observations with both WoA's suggest the Maduro is not a cammi.  AF's site did not provide varietal details beyond (N)/(M). Review sites suggest conn. broadleaf.  Food for thought. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/15041/name/arturo-fuente-hemingway-work-of-art-maduro

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/20858/name/arturo-fuente-hemingway-work-of-art-maduro

can't wait to see what's next!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

As always, love the reviews, perspective, and info/background you provide!  Glad to see the return of the 2023 edition of JSSD.

Your 2023 AF Hemmi WoA review inspired some research.  I found some conflicting info. re: details of the Maduro's wrapper (see e.g. two CA links below with different wrapper info). Retailer sites were also contradictory, but probably less reliable. I was surprised by any reference identifying the Maduro wrapper as a cammi as my own experience and observations with both WoA's suggest the Maduro is not a cammi.  AF's site did not provide varietal details beyond (N)/(M). Review sites suggest conn. broadleaf.  Food for thought. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/15041/name/arturo-fuente-hemingway-work-of-art-maduro

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/20858/name/arturo-fuente-hemingway-work-of-art-maduro

can't wait to see what's next!

Thank you @Lamboinee. I have amended the initial review because I wanted to make it clear that I was referring to Natural wrappers in the Arturo Hemingway series. I've not tried the Arturo Hemingway Maduro series, thus I have not researched their origin.

Edit:

Okay, so @Lamboinee's enquiry intrigued me and so I did a little more research this morning to add to @Lamboinee's quoted Cigar Aficionado reviews above, which have different sources referenced in regard to the wrapper leaf of Maduro Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigars.

Arturo Fuente's website is unfortunately not detailed to provide a definitive answer in regards to the origin of their leaf used in their cigars.

I have tracked down two Halfwheel reviews of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Maduro. Both state that Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro is used for the wrapper.

https://halfwheel.com/hemingway-short-story-maduro-2011/17635/

https://halfwheel.com/redux-arturo-fuente-hemingway-short-story-maduro/30712/