JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

Both state that Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro is used for the wrapper

I think it's def Connecticut broadleaf. I would bet $10 on it. But I thought the CA references were particularly odd, if they are errors, then even more so. Generally I prefer the longer thinner hemmi cams or the Don C's. The WoA can get "charry" sometimes. I would smoke the Maduro if offered, but I'd grab the cammi first 100%.

Unsolicited info: there's also a WoA vitola with a barber pole broadleaf and Connecticut wrapper combo. I believe it was blended by, or to celebrate, or in combination with, jr.'s daughter. I've smoked one. It was decent.  Quasi hard to find, so some say. I'd still grab the cammi wrapper first. 

Smoke on! 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

On 2/12/2023 at 11:53 PM, JohnS said:

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills LAT Feb 2018

There's an adage in our hobby that a cigar can improve over time and become great, but only after they start off being good. In other words, if you encounter a box of Habanos cigars that are smoking ordinarily within the first twelve months, don't count on them to 'blow you away', so-to-speak, after the three to five year mark. It can occur, but it's not likely.

The last Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill I had was around sixteen months ago.  Today's example was a little better than my previous Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills smoked from this box code, but still not up to the class of my ABO Ago 2018 Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 box.

What kept this cigar interesting for me was the hint of some nice turkish delight, anise and berry notes, together with wood and bitter chocolate. What let this cigar down was the multiple re-lights and the slightly tight draw. Paradoxically, despite being a little harder to smoke there was an above average smoke output per puff which easily coated my palate with flavour. A normal Robustos takes me 70 to 75 minutes to finish. This particular one took me two-and-a-half hours!  

Again, in comparison to other Romeo y Julieta cigars I've smoked, this Short Churchill was medium-mild but still faithful to its marca profile, which allowed me to persevere through smoking it. It's just that I've been more enamoured by some quality RyJ Churchills, Exhibicion No.4 and Petit Royales of recent times. Don't be surprised if I return to these aforementioned vitolas in the coming months!

I picked up 3 boxes of the Petit Royales way before any major price increases. My current favorite RyJ. Letting them age as don't see myself buying anymore down the road. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, JohnS said:

Thank you. True, it will be fun. Even though my acquisition of Habanos cigars with post mid-2021 box codes is much less in comparison to my other inventory, I believe the reviews will remain relevant for the greater majority of our members, nevertheless.

They have been helpful for me. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, JohnS said:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story

I must say, I've really 'taken' to the Arturo Fuente Hemingway series since I've added various vitolas from this line to my regular rotation in 2022. The one feature of this series is their Perfecto shape, which is a 'throwback' or an homage to the popularity of this vitola amongst Habanos cigars prior to the 1930s.

The Short story was introduced a few years after the 1983 debut of the Hemingway Series and it has since become the top seller in the line. All Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigars feature West African Cameroon wrapper and Dominican filler and binder. (That is, the Natural-wrappered varieties.)

According to the Arturo Fuente company, the extra workmanship involved in producing these cigars means that they take longer to make and also utilise leaf that is aged longer than normal leaf.

Like the similarly-shaped Cuaba Perfectos, lighting the heavily tapered foot is sufficient to light the cigar. The Short Story is tapered gradually from being 42 ring gauge at the head to being 49 ring gauge at its widest near the foot. It has a short length at 4 inches or 102 mm. This doesn't necessarily mean its a quick thirty to forty minutes smoke however.

This is my second Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story from this box since I smoked my first one three months ago. These cigars have come from a 15-count box (with its own humidipak contained within), with their mild and sweet, balanced flavours very much resonating with me.

This particular Short Story opened with a usual hay and cedar taste and was again light and mild. It was slightly less sweet than previous AF Short Story cigars I sampled.

In the middle of the cigar the smoke picked up some light spice and a touch of leather to compliment the hay. This was very much in line with what occurred the last time I smoked this cigar three months ago. What can one say about this? If you get consistency in construction you're likely to be pleased, but when a cigar is consistent in its flavour transitions even, well I'd say this is quite impeccable.

I've mentioned, as an aside, in previous reviews on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series, that Cameroon wrappers can impart a combination of spice and sweetness, so if this doesn't appeal to you, then I'd say that you won't enjoy any of the Hemingway line.

In summary, this second cigar from this box amply asserts that this is a quality cigar. The Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story easily competes in excellence with short-sized Habanos cigars and this example was again better than any Cuaba cigar I've ever had, principally in construction and the volume of smoke output per puff. This cigar took me a around fifty-five minutes to smoke. Once again, I think that's pretty good for its size, no?

I'm starting to really like the Cameroon wrappers. The cigars I have smoked with them have been well balanced on my palate

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I'm starting to really like the Cameroon wrappers. The cigars I have smoked with them have been well balanced on my palate

Oh definitely. I've enjoyed the subtlety to them. They never seem to overwhelm the palate.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic

Just before I got the Cuban cigar bug I was, if I remember correctly, loving AF and specifically the Hemingway Classic a lot. I brought a box of regular old AF Churchills to a gathering once back then and people raved about them. I'll have to sample these now that cigarmageddon does not look like a transitory phenomenon.

Great reviews, thanks again.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

Just before I got the Cuban cigar bug I was, if I remember correctly, loving AF and specifically the Hemingway Classic a lot. I brought a box of regular old AF Churchills to a gathering once back then and people raved about them. I'll have to sample these now that cigarmageddon does not look like a transitory phenomenon.

Great reviews, thanks again.

Yes, sadly it looks like 'cigarmageddon' is here to stay for awhile.

Thanks again for the appreciative feedback, @joeypots!

20 hours ago, JohnS said:

This is just my second Cuaba Piramides after @Luca gifted me one to smoke four years ago.

Not exactly true. I gave you one about 8 years ago. Oh, how the mighty forget. :P

It was around the time I took that partial box out of my humidor, and moved the last 4 cigars to the singles humidor.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Not exactly true. I gave you one about 8 years ago. Oh, how the mighty forget. :P

It was around the time I took that partial box out of my humidor, and moved the last 4 cigars to the singles humidor.

Haha...okay, I'll take your word for it! 😂

• Haha 1