JohnS' Smoking Diary 2023

JohnS

@JohnS as always very much enjoying your diary reviews.  In-depth commentary, no doubt takes quite a lot of your time.  Very kind of you.  Thanks for sharing it with us all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to continue to thank you for supporting my blog in the past few years. This year's blog represented a conundrum for me... exactly how does one continue to maintain the output of recent ye

Por Larrañaga Montecarlos LGR Oct 2017 The Por Larranaga Montecarlos is a 33 ring gauge x 159 mm (or 6¼ inches) in length cigar commonly considered a 'forum favourite' on our forum...you know, a

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos - Eye of the Shark In 2015, Arturo Fuente released two limited production cigars that commemorated the 80th birthday of family patriarch Carlos Fuente Sr.  Around the sam

1 hour ago, GoodStix said:

@JohnS as always very much enjoying your diary reviews.  In-depth commentary, no doubt takes quite a lot of your time.  Very kind of you.  Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Thank @GoodStix, I very much appreciate your feedback! 👍

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

I noticed a small tunnel in the middle of the cigar

Sorry to hear this Punch Punch, showed you a bit of ankle and then failed to satisfy. how often if that the way with CC's!? we as enthusiasts are reduced to trying to salvage moments or glimpses of greatness, and you just think "Jesus Christ!..... the farmer has done his bloody job, the tobacco is fantastic, it just needs rolling right". 

Anyway, those moments of greatness are truly great.......and no matter how many times we get out for a duck, or smashed in the ribs, we always return to the crease for more moments of glory/punishment. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

Trust me, it was still flavoursome but the complexity on show here was somewhat unique in comparison to the Habanos cigars we smoke today.

One of my all time best cigar experiences.  back in 2004 I had been on long break from cigars, but a good friend of mine was going to Habana and I had asked if she had the time she could pick me up a few sticks. Anyway it was a very loosey goosey ask, (of which I 100% expected her not to pull through on).  To my surprise and with no direction whatsoever (as to what to look for in quality) she returned with some of the glossiest, most perfect cigars i'd ever seen. 

I must caveat by saying she is very beautiful, and there is a good chance whomever picked these cigars for her, was beguiled into doing their best to impress. 

Anyway, the old band Fundadores was mesmerising.  Like quite a few memorable cigars it did have a bit of nic buzz to it, which added to the feeling of being blown away by the sheer quality, and flavour. 

I currently have most of a box of 2019's left, and whilst lovely cigars, they are not a patch on that experience in 2004.

keep up the good work John, always a great read.  Hats off to you

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 99call said:

One of my all time best cigar experiences.  back in 2004 I had been on long break from cigars, but a good friend of mine was going to Habana and I had asked if she had the time she could pick me up a few sticks. Anyway it was a very loosey goosey ask, (of which I 100% expected her not to pull through on).  To my surprise and with no direction whatsoever (as to what to look for in quality) she returned with some of the glossiest, most perfect cigars i'd ever seen. 

I must caveat by saying she is very beautiful, and there is a good chance whomever picked these cigars for her, was beguiled into doing their best to impress. 

Anyway, the old band Fundadores was mesmerising.  Like quite a few memorable cigars it did have a bit of nic buzz to it, which added to the feeling of being blown away by the sheer quality, and flavour. 

I currently have most of a box of 2019's left, and whilst lovely cigars, they are not a patch on that experience in 2004.

I've some 2011. Also been through a few 2003 and a few 1998s. Caveat I don't have the most discerning palette. Loved them all. Not tried any post 2011. And at current pricing I won't. But happy to churn through what I have. Lovely cigar. Will revisit the 98 and 11's that I've left and see if it still holds.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ha_banos said:

I've some 2011. Also been through a few 2003 and a few 1998s. Caveat I don't have the most discerning palette. Loved them all. Not tried any post 2011. And at current pricing I won't. But happy to churn through what I have. Lovely cigar. Will revisit the 98 and 11's that I've left and see if it still holds.

From very vague recollections (that have no doubt sweetened over time). The that old band Fundy seemed to have more body, more opulent smoke/mouthfeel. One of those cigars that the smoke just hangs in front of your face and almost has to be wafted away so you can catch a breath. My faint but sweet memories remembered something that was both very floral, but also quite strong. Very different to the donut/pastry fest of Trinidad is today. The only similarity I can suggest that's not changed is sandalwood, they've always had that aromatic sandalwood thing going on. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 99call said:

Anyway, those moments of greatness are truly great.......and no matter how many times we get out for a duck, or smashed in the ribs, we always return to the crease for more moments of glory/punishment. 

Definitely, it's the only way!

11 hours ago, 99call said:

Indeed, I know what you mean!

10 hours ago, ha_banos said:

Yes, it would be interesting to see what strength is left in those 98s.

17 minutes ago, 99call said:

From very vague recollections (that have no doubt sweetened over time). The that old band Fundy seemed to have more body, more opulent smoke/mouthfeel. One of those cigars that the smoke just hangs in front of your face and almost has to be wafted away so you can catch a breath. My faint but sweet memories remembered something that was both very floral, but also quite strong. Very different to the donut/pastry fest of Trinidad is today. The only similarity I can suggest that's not changed is sandalwood, they've always had that aromatic sandalwood thing going on. 

Yes, very different.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you John. As always it’s a pleasure to read your insightful reviews. I along with many others obtain great joy and knowledge from them. Happy Easter to you and the family my good man. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 6:25 PM, Chucko8 said:

Thank you John. As always it’s a pleasure to read your insightful reviews. I along with many others obtain great joy and knowledge from them. Happy Easter to you and the family my good man. 

Ditto.  Thank you John.

• Thanks 1