Deep Dive: Cohiba Siglo VI

El Presidente

Cohiba Siglo VI   

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cohiba Siglo VI

This Deep Dive is going to polarise members :D

Now take a deep breath and forget about the price. You can do it 👍

Cohiba Siglo VI

• Do you like the Cohiba Siglo VI
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Cohiba Siglo VI
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Cohiba Siglo VI :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Cohiba siglo VI HQ MAR 21.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcarlson said:

Definitely a special occasion cigar.  And among the absolute best there is when on.  Never bad, but always a huge let down when less than stellar.  For me, the best always have 5+.  

I am with you Rob. 

I expect every Siglo VI to bat 95+  ...and get a little disappointed when they are just a very good 91/92. 

• Like 3

I have Genios, CORO, Espy and Sig 6 in my current inventory.  Every once in a while I’m impressed with the Espy. I remember the mid 1990s Espys as a favorite along with Lusi.  I think both have declined or my palate has changed. I’ve never had a CPE that impressed.  The one Behike 56 I had 4-5 years ago blew me away. 

• Like 1

I wish I didn't love this cigar so much. Never had one that wasn't at least excellent, and many that were just superb. Great young, incredible with 5+. Complex, rich, long lasting. This is one cigar that I will spend too much on, though recent prices have left me hoarding my last few.

I remember those 2003's. I have one left I haven't had the heart to smoke. They were inspired.

Other than being a bit too fat at 52RG the VI is the bomb.  I think Cohibas demand age more than other Cuban cigars and the VIs are no exception. Given time they are wonders of Cuban cigar delight. I’ve yet to have one expire which is fortunate because the ones I have are now very special occasion cigars and are not likely to be replaced in the current market. 

• Like 4

This is one I just don't get. I never really tend to enjoy cigars this big anyway, but I have only had 5 or 6 over the years, all from different boxes and never had one that was "on". I even saved one a buddy had given me in the '07-'08 time frame and smoked it in 2021, it was just a letdown. Every one I have tried in the past had the DNA of the Siglo line with with an overabundance of a charred coffee note that overpowered the rest of the flavors. 

I prefer the Siglo IV over all the others and have enjoyed every one I have tried over the years without a dud. 

Love the Siglo VI but usually dislike ring gauges over 46 (meaning I prefer Siglo III, IV and V).

I guess this is one of the few non robusto, larger formats that I like, mostly because the flavor is unique compared to the rest of the line, and it's a flavor that is "worth it" for special occasions a few times a year.

My first box of these were from early 2000, when Smithy was still sending out orders. Those are long gone.

I currently have 6 boxes from between 2019-2020 and want the stock I have to last for a long time - that they are all solid and loaded with flavor for the next 15-20 years as I can't see myself paying these current prices and still being able to put gas in the yacht.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, benfica_77 said:

When they are on its a religious experience! but it's hard chasing the dragon when there's duds mixed in. 

No truer words have ever been uttered on this forum.

Having been a fan of Cohibas for a while and being fortunate to try the Sig VI from many different years, I do not go out of my way for them. I find them to be less "Cohiba-like" than my favorite sizes (Sig IV & Esplendido). There's something magical about Cohiba when the ring gauge is close to 46/47 - the ligero to binder ratio is "just right" IMHO. That said, the Cohiba Sublime Extras from '08 (at 54 gauge) are truly a religious experience ;) 

On 8/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, KCCubano said:

Like others say when they are on they are superb. I srill think Behike 52 is a few notches above them. Have had many boxes of Sig VI but easily the best was an 03 box I bought from Czar. Im sure Rob recalls them! 

Dude the early Sig VIs were maybe the greatest cigars ever.  If you good guarantee me that experience I’d probably buy even with today's prices.  Alas, my appetite is long gone, even before the prices got stupid.

Once the Behikes came around there was a steep drop off in Sig VI flavors to me, as I’m sure all that top leaf went there.  Haven't had one since my last visit to London in early 19, and it was just as I left them, really good but no longer amazing.  I’d rather have 3 boxes of Lusis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Dude the early Sig VIs were maybe the greatest cigars ever.  If you good guarantee me that experience I’d probably buy even with todays prices.  Alas, my appetite is long gone, even before the prices got stupid.

Once the Behikes came around there was a steep drop off in Sig VI flavors to me, as I’m sure all that top leaf went there.  Havent had one since my last visit to London in early 19, and it was just as I left them, really good but no longer amazing.  I’d rather have 3 boxes of Lusi’s.

I have a ten ct of 20s that I picked up last year. Have not tried yet. Going to let them sit another year or so. No rush to sample now...especially at current pricing

• Like 1

This was actually the very first cigar I ever smoked and what got me hooked to CC. My uncle in Toronto used to frequent Cuba quite often and handed us all cohibas after dinner one night, will never forget that first cigar. Also the best cigar I’ve ever had was a 2005 siglo VI, I don’t know how a cigar could be better. I’ve had some amazing ones that didn’t have much age but nothing I’ve ever smoked has been like that 2005 sig VI

Definitional cigar when on. I have had mostly great luck with Siglo VI over years, again kudos to Tania at estanco/La Casa del Habano en Calle Corrida Gijon. 

Admittedly I enjoy a cañonazo format. What can I say. Love this cigar. Prices have screwed a little bit the experience as now is almost impossible to bifurcate price and smoking them. But again, absolutely love those herbal notes with honey sprinkles on top. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:42 AM, Bendover said:

Never tried one before but I bought a few boxes recently (after the price hike) at $1700, box year 2020/2021. Overpriced? Not sure if the box code plays a role when it comes to determining quality? 

If I were to buy a box of these (and I never would), I would only accept an El Laguito code. It matters ALOT with Cohiba.

3 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

If I were to buy a box of these (and I never would), I would only accept an El Laguito code. It matters ALOT with Cohiba.

Hear what you are saying but Ive had duds from EL on several ocassions going back many years. Now if you are going to buy and hold to sell in secondary in 5-10 then then EL is king!  How u feeling about Baker starting assuming u are Panthers fan?