Deep Dive: Cohiba Robusto

El Presidente

Cohiba Robusto  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cohiba Robusto

Put price aside?   Do you "get" Cohiba Robusto? 

Coro has been responsible for some lifetime cigar highlights. When you get that honey hit ....almost as if the cigar is dipped in honey....it is a magic moment. 

Does it happen oftern?  rarely to that extent. 

Let's talk Cohiba Robusto

• Do you like  Cohiba Robusto
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Cohiba Robusto?
  • Do the poll!

Cohiab Robusto! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

• Like 2

Love the robusto size, hour to hour and half smoke time, petit corona size is catching up quickly though.

Enjoy the JL2, BRC, HU1, Epi2, PD4 very much but a nice aged CoRo is King to me!

• Like 3

I don’t get it. These cigars are a mere shadow of what they used to be many years ago. too light and floral for my taste.

@Corylax18 is spot on with his remark regarding the cut grass and hay flavours. I too associate that more with under-fermented leaf.  

Not in my wheelhouse. Bottom of the Robustos for me. 

• Like 1

Coro’s have a unique lemon grassy / honey flavour which is quite nice. Aged 5+ years are best. But the PSD4, BRC, VR Famosos, and HU Connie 1/2, not to mention other similar sized cigars make stiff competition. Crowded field in this format. 

• Like 2

CORO is responsible for some of my favourite cigar experiences. Some stunning times we have shared 

But I will pick a JLS2 8 times out of 10.

Utility is close.

• Like 2

I get it. I had one recently I left in the tube (experiment) for a few years and omg it was on. All the flavors as described above plus strong cuban twang. I had one 6 months ago from the humi and I started becoming anti coro 😂 But this one was wow. Im a big Cohiba fan but not the siglo line. Luckily I stocked up a bit and I am smoking my Cohibas in the regular cycle but PSD4 and JL2’s (among others) are beyond great for the price. I cannot and will not buy a box of Coro for almost double a box of Lusis. I just cant do it lol. 

When its on its one of the best Robustos out there, if not the best for me.....consistency (and now pricing) has always plagued this cigar unless sourced with certain boxcodes.

I love them when they do what they are supposed to do

• Like 4

I don't get it. Even without having tried it. One might just say I don't get the Robusto size. 50 rg is out of my league already. I did sample just about all of the other regular production robustos but never found one that could justify the size. 

Therefore, I skipped the vote. 

• Like 1

I do ‘get’ CORO, it is with some caveats however (excluding price for a moment).

- When compared to other robustos, I think it might just be the least consistent. I have had CORO that was so eye wateringly good, but on the other hand had a lot more that were pretty mediocre. No matter how well aged they were, inconsistency between sticks remained. To my palate, I’d much rather a D4, JLS2 or RASS.

- When compared to the rest of the Cohiba lineup, I go for CORO the least. This has a lot to do with the fact I don’t really go for a robusto that often. I prefer Lancero/Espy/CCE/Exquisitos/Sig II/III/IV over CORO. Again, more to do with me and my preferences than with the actual cigar itself. 

So while I do get the appeal of the flavor delivery of the CORO when it’s ‘on’, I get more satisfaction out of other robustos when I do reach for the size. And when I buy/smoke Cohiba, it’s not often CORO.

As far as blend changes, I do feel that when I began smoking CC the CORO was much bolder. I haven’t smoked enough of them to pinpoint a year, maybe late 2000s like 08 or 09?

Smoke time about 1 hr 20 to 1 hr 30.

• Like 2

Best robusto production cigar quite handily IMO.  Juan Lopez No. 2 in 2nd place.  Such a classy cigar with flavors that don't fall off 10, 20 years later.  A real treat.  I am a bit gun shy admittedly smoking them now with the scarcity and price. 

My unopened boxes may just languish until they're worth enough for down payment on a 2nd car or home, lol.

• Like 3

Some of the best cigars I’ve smoked have been Cohibas. Robusto included. There are better robustos to smoke young but after 5,6 years the CORO shines. I do not think the current price for value of Cohiba  currently is compelling. I’ve been smoking some outstanding RASS lately and there is no way a CORO of similar vintage is worth 3 or 4 of the RASS. Or PSD#4 orJL#2, or HDM EPI#2.

• Like 2

Best CoRo experience was when I bought one in Mexico at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It tasked like it was dipped in honey, I bought two boxes right after

• Like 1

I resisted the Cohiba mythology for years.  Why pay "those prices" (2005 prices at that) when Partagas and Bolivar were so spectacular.  I held that belief right up to the moment I bought a 3 pack of CoRo.  The intoxicating aroma gave me reason to doubt my long held belief, once lit I knew I was wrong.  By the halfway point I knew I would never buy another robusto.  Then HSA raised their prices and now I believe farm rolls are the only robusto I will ever buy again.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

The best robusto I've ever had was the CORO from the Christmas sampler 2 years ago. Eye watering good. Definitely a polarizing cigar but when it's on holy hell. 

For me, the best robusto I've had was the blind taste D4 from last year.  It was amazing

Even though I'm not generally a robusto fan, I get the CORO.  They sweet and creamy but with enough woodiness to make them more complex... that is, after you give them a little time.  Now that I can't afford to replace them, they'll get plenty of time. 😁

• Like 3