Deep Dive: Bolivar Petit Corona

El Presidente

Bolivar Petit Corona   

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19/20/21 Bolivar Petit Corona have been at the top of their game. They are my favourite PC right now with a distinctive personality. 

Rate them on the basis of how you prefer to smoke them.

Let's talk the Bolivar Petit Corona 

• Do you like  Bolivar Petit Corona?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Petit Corona 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  Bolivar Petit Corona?
  • Do the poll!

Salute the BPC!  :cigar:

• Like 1

Never been a fan. They never seem balanced and they have a tendency to be quite bitter. Very different from the BCJ which I've always liked.

Maybe they just need a lot of time--more time than I'm willing to give them. I have a similar relationship with Mag 46. 

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Never been a fan. They never seem balanced and they have a tendency to be quite bitter. Very different from the BCJ which I've always liked.

Maybe they just need a lot of time--more time than I'm willing to give them. I have a similar relationship with Mag 46. 

it makes sense that if the Mag 46 isn't in your wheelhouse, the Boli PC wouldn't be either.  They certainly share some characteristics. 

Much prefer the Boli no 1, but thats not a fair comparison.   I like the BPC but, whilst it's rich, the limitations on the size of the cigar, don't quite leave me feeling fully sated. 

I still find it quite bizarre that Partagas and Bolivar don't currently has corona gorda in the portfolio,  two marcas that would suit it best.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the BPC. Usually takes me 45 min plus to smoke. Not sure about blend changes but some years better than others. Miss the cabs for sure. My 19s are smoking well but the quarters I have picked up here recently have been excellent. Rich and complex but not as strong as say 15 years ago it seems. 

My 21 box is already throwing out 90 pointers. I have to lay off them as I need to stash a few away to age. I love them.

• Like 1

Not my favorite PC but has it's place in my rotation. I have a partial 2011 box from the house. A much mellower stick now than 10 years ago. I'm sure many will likely say the Bolivar Corona extra was more of an epic cigar, of course axed like all the superstars. 

I like these, but they lack the intensity I get from the BRC or BBF - which is really what I'm looking for when I'm in a Bolivar mood.

As far as PC's go, I'd take a Monte 4 or PLPC (may favorite PC) over these, though it's kind of an apples an oranges comparison.

I like them. The PC is a nice intense Boli when you don't have a lot of time, or when it's freezing outdoors. They sometimes have an interesting raisin note that adds to the experience.

Due to availability and as of recently the price, i smoke more Nicaraguans now then cubans... but this is the best cuban cigar there is if you are wondering over into cubans and enjoy nc fullbody flavor bombs from esteli. 

I find these to be more medium body than those nc's tho, and richer in flavor. At 100 - 150usd or less this cigar was my perennial cigar of the year, hands down. One could never amass enouph boxes to sate the storage drop out as i ran through a box and a half a month... and thats when i was being frugal!!

Im down to my last box and each one of these 4 dollar cigars makes me wonder what the hell my buisness agent is doing as my scale wage has lost step with inflation! The good old days!

• Like 1

This is another cigar I’m fairly deep on. I have boxes/cabs from 2008-present. I enjoy them with 10+ years on them and fresh. It’s one of those cigars that will never be the best cigar you ever had, but it’s reliable and almost always delivers. Whenever I pack cigars for a trip you can count on a few BPCs. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

it makes sense that if the Mag 46 isn't in your wheelhouse, the Boli PC wouldn't be either.  They certainly share some characteristics. 

Yes, they both smoke very similarly for me. I also find it in the P2 and Royal Robustos but less so. I might lump BBF in there as well but I don't ever detect bitterness in BBF. 

As far as blend it's been the same since around 2000. I remember getting a 50 cab of 05 BPC in 07 and they were pretty close in flavor to today but that cab was awful. Just so bitter, like charcoal briquettes. I got the shakes every time I looked at the cab knowing that there were 40-something more sticks that had to be dealt with...ugh. 

• Haha 3

I absolutely love the BPC - I would put it at the top of the PCs followed by Monte 4, Siglo II, and PLPC. Dominant flavors are nuts, licorice, spice and coffee with hints of earth and chocolate. These are full-flavored and have legs for decades. I really wish this blend was available in a lancero format as 45-50min just isn't enough. I'll take these 99% of the time vs a BRC or the late-great Coronas Extra.

Cheers!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, El Presidente said:

They are my favourite PC right now with a distinctive personality. 

This. One of the best Marevas of the few still in production, and a long-term favourite. (RGPC taking second place for me, together with HU Noellas, while not strictly being a PC).

A waste when not giving it proper time to age.

No perceptible blend changes for me. But I felt a low 2012/13. If there’d be a “mellow” BPC then it would come from my ‘13 boxes. By 2015 fully back on track.

A lot of cigars can be fully enjoyed young. This is not one of them.

• Like 1

By far my favorite PC right now. These are one of the most consistent and reliable smokes in my humidor. Always rich and flavorful, they never seem to disappoint. I haven't smoked any that were rolled before 2019, so I guess you could say I enjoy them young. I'm a slow smoker, so these take me about an hour or so to finish. 

Scored another box last night, coincidentally... 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johnnycigar69 said:

pretty solid, although the box I just picked up recently is about half plugged and basically half unsmokable :(

has anyone else received a half plugged box of BPC's?

Not this stick, but if you bought thrm recently try giving them 90 days down, or otherwise dry box them. Sometimes a plugged draw is over humidity in my experience. Other times not, which is why I have a perfect draw. 

• Like 1

I like this cigar, although I liked it more before 2010. It is not in my top 5 for the vitola but when on the cocoa, coffee, earth combo is on it is a fantastic experience.