Deep Dive: Partagas Short

El Presidente

Partagas Short   

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If limited time, small commitment,  and enjoyment are what the moment calls for, these hit the bill perfectly! I like the 50 cabs to smoke half and set the other down. 

Young they are lively and go well with whatever you're up to, aged ones need a 40-50 minute window to be appreciated and take center stage.

To me they are more akin to the 898 vs the d4,  the p2 and the short couldnt be further apart! Hard to imagine the tobacco came from the same farm or factory. 

One more observation in my experience they are very consistent. Can't recall ever getting a box that was "off" perhaps a tight draw from time to time, but I'd be hard pressed (smokers pallet) to tell the difference between psp and robs preferred economy! 

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@KnightsAnole @SCgarman you know what: fair enough! If I really think only about the minuto size of 42 ring by 110mm length, then Shorts are not at the ‘strongest’ end. BCJ clearly a fuller smoke (too

These deep dives are a great idea, as is setting them aside in a separate folder. They will be a real resource for the newbies and those thinking about trying something new. They are also interesting

I’ve always liked Rob’s description when they pop up; essential cigars for your humi. I think of them as Lusi’s in a limited time frame. I get nervous when I have less than 50 at my disposal... Shorts

7 hours ago, RDB said:

Whaaat! Ok, I know you have smoked a lot more cigars than me. But my goodness the Short is often a strong, flavourful smoke surely? The milder Partagas are at the larger end of the line: the E2 and Lusi especially. And what minutos of any marca are reliably fuller or more flavourful?

I know, I just don't find the Shorts very rich or flavorful. Just so you know where I'm at I am a huge El Principe fan. RASCC would be my 2nd choice followed by BCJ. I also love Monte 5. Siglo I, Reyes and RG Perlas are also in my wheelhouse. 

4 hours ago, Çnote said:

I have fond memories of party shorts, but I don't love them. Its a great cigar to have when you can't make up your mind. Looking at what I like, I'd rather an MC#5, HUHC, Reyes, or my absolute favorite minuto, El Prinicipe. At today's prices, I doubt I'll restock Party Shorts. They stratch the itch admirably, but they're just not my favorite. Hard opinions in a hard time for CC.

I'll concur with that for the most part. The Shorts just aren't a cigar I would ever look forward to smoking but a change of pace or wild card cigar for me. Although I rarely need a change of pace from the El Principe!

For me it's pretty simple--I just like the Shorts less than every other small format CC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you're staring at your humidor and can't decide what to smoke today... Party Short is the correct answer every time. You might not know you wanted one, but you did.
Yes you did, didn't you?

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 3

I was in the Bahamas recently, only once was I gonna have time to smoke a long cigar (golfing) and for that I brought a RAG which was spectacular.  

Every day in the afternoon taking a break from the pool/beach and at night after everyone was tucked into bed I’d sneak out for 20-30 min to have a Party Short and Kalik Bahamian Beer.  I never felt I needed anything more, the Shorts ticked all the boxes necessary for an enjoyable experience.  

• Like 3

Partagas is my favorite brand and the Short is my favorite minuto (BCJ close second) I smoke slow so a short takes me about 45 minutes. I've noticed a stone fruit flavor started to develop from my DIC 19 box. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Juliano88 said:

Partagas is my favorite brand and the Short is my favorite minuto (BCJ close second) I smoke slow so a short takes me about 45 minutes. I've noticed a stone fruit flavor started to develop from my DIC 19 box. 

I’ve been smoking some DIC 18s lately that have a great pretzel note at first, and then start to get into that fruity territory you mention. It’s delicious; wish I had a cab of these. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bishop532 said:

I’ve been smoking some DIC 18s lately that have a great pretzel note at first, and then start to get into that fruity territory you mention. It’s delicious; wish I had a cab of these. 

Same. I can only imagine how good these are aging in 50 cabs. 

• Like 2

I don’t get the party shorts fever either. I much prefer the format of an aristocrat or psp for the price.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, RDB said:

. And what minutos of any marca are reliably fuller or more flavourful?

Not trying to be dick here, but, almost all of them. In fact I’m having trouble thinking of a milder minuto than p shorts.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:08 PM, RDB said:

Whaaat! Ok, I know you have smoked a lot more cigars than me. But my goodness the Short is often a strong, flavourful smoke surely? The milder Partagas are at the larger end of the line: the E2 and Lusi especially. And what minutos of any marca are reliably fuller or more flavourful?

The San Cristobal El Principe is much more of a flavor bomb in terms of fullness. 

The vitola isn't in my wheelhouse. I avoid cigars that are quick fixes. I don't care much for petit coronas either. 

26 minutes ago, joeypots said:

The vitola isn't in my wheelhouse. I avoid cigars that are quick fixes. I don't care much for petit coronas either. 

See, I don’t look at it as quick fixes throughout the day. I see it more as shorter gaps between cigars.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

See, I don’t look at it as quick fixes throughout the day. I see it more as shorter gaps between cigars.

May be fix is the wrong word. Quick smokes could be better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joeypots said:

May be fix is the wrong word. Quick smokes could be better. 

I know what you meant, no worries. I’ve been through a stage where I just didn’t see the point in smoking smaller cigars. Now I almost smoke them exclusively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeypots said:

Petit coronas (Marevas) are a solid 60 minute duration cigar. About the same as a Robusto. Hardly a quick smoke. Unless double coronas are strictly your vitola. 60 minutes is my personal sweet spot. Anything much longer and I become bored with the cigar. A short is max 40 minutes. Works in the winter when you have limited heat in an unheated garage. Now living in warm South Carolina the cold is a thing of the past at least for me!

3 hours ago, RDB said:

@KnightsAnole @SCgarman you know what: fair enough! If I really think only about the minuto size of 42 ring by 110mm length, then Shorts are not at the ‘strongest’ end. BCJ clearly a fuller smoke (too much for me actually), arguably Reyes too (but I don’t have much experience there), and RASCC are definitely strong (but I don’t love the profile). I’m a big fan of El Principes, and the other similar size I smoke is the RG Perla. I guess my reaction is based in what I see as a reliably intense experience from a young Short and the fact that I really love them. Here’s a nice box that arrived today

When young they definitely have some "punch". I have a 2011 box, and they have become a different cigar with 10+ years of age. Still lots of flavor, but much more refined and tame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Now living in warm South Carolina the cold is a thing of the past at least for me

Same here. Augusta area, I only need a small amount of heat in the garage to smoke. Love it!

15 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Petit coronas (Marevas) are a solid 60 minute duration cigar. About the same as a Robusto. Hardly a quick smoke. Unless double coronas are strictly your vitola. 60 minutes is my personal sweet spot. Anything much longer and I become bored with the cigar. A short is max 40 minutes. Works in the winter when you have limited heat in an unheated garage. Now living in warm South Carolina the cold is a thing of the past at least for me!

I smoke a fair # of 42RG smokes. 38s as well but not as many.  I just seem to be going for coronas more than the PCs and I never was much for the minutos. 

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

I smoke a fair # of 42RG smokes. 38s as well but not as many.  I just seem to be going for coronas more than the PCs and I never was much for the minutos. 

Not to be a jerk but do you smoke many CCs 🤣

Which 42RG CCs larger than a PC are left?

Monte 3, Monte 1, QdO Coronas, Siglo III, RyJ cedros de luxe no. 2, Fonseca Cosacos.

I guess there are 6 then (3 literal Coronas, and 2 corona ish, 1 Lonsdale).

I'd generally rather a PC than a Minuto, rather a Minuto than a Perla. But I'm usually pretty happy with a PC.

• Like 1

If I had to pick one cigar to smoke the rest of my life this might be it. It’s at least in the running. I probably own close to 1000 of them ranging from 2006-2021. They are 45 mins-an hour for me. 

Wow 20 cabs?!? Good for you
They are great smokes. Just hate the prices now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Not to be a jerk but do you smoke many CCs 🤣

Which 42RG CCs larger than a PC are left?

Monte 3, Monte 1, QdO Coronas, Siglo III, RyJ cedros de luxe no. 2, Fonseca Cosacos.

I guess there are 6 then (3 literal Coronas, and 2 corona ish, 1 Lonsdale).

I'd generally rather a PC than a Minuto, rather a Minuto than a Perla. But I'm usually pretty happy with a PC.

I smoke two of three Cuban cigars a week so I tend to focus on the cigars I smoke and I'm looking for a cigar that lasts longer than a PC. I smoke a lot of MC#1, Siglo III when I have them, and I'm building a stash of MC#3. I think I've also had some bad luck with PCs construction and flavor wise so I'm sour on the vitola. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I smoke two of three Cuban cigars a week so I tend to focus on the cigars I smoke and I'm looking for a cigar that lasts longer than a PC. I smoke a lot of MC#1, Siglo III when I have them, and I'm building a stash of MC#3. I think I've also had some bad luck with PCs construction and flavor wise so I'm sour on the vitola. 

I've definitely had better luck with MC#1 and MC#3 than MC#4, but on the other hand I've had worse luck with Siglo III than Siglo II.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Wow 20 cabs?!? Good for you
They are great smokes. Just hate the prices now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked. And I lied. 12 cabs plus a few dress boxes. 4 of the cabs are opened and 1 dress box is opened. Still, I’d say I’m sufficiently stocked up 😂

• Like 2