If you were to add another hobby to your retinue?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to get back into previous ones. Travel and remote control car racing. However both are challenging at the moment. Trevel we all know why. And remote control car racing in my area has kind

I'm currently digging a huge deep hole in my backyard to construct a nuclear fallout shelter. 'Nuff said😱

Me at the thought of adding another hobby to my list:

8 hours ago, Jeanff said:

Serious hiking; used to go into the US (mostly Vermont and NY State) regularly before the pandemic, was so much fun. All I need is get back to my then shape 😅

Come on down to Colorado rocky mountains Jean. Can get a 650 lb (295 kg) elk while doing it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Corylax18 said:

I actually started the process of obtaining my PPL in February 2020. There have been some, Obstacles?, since then. Its something I've wanted to do since I was a little kid and I'm actively working to get lessons incorporate back into my schedule this summer. 

As other have mentioned, Flying makes the cigar hobby look cheap. I wish I could pick a cheap hobby, but it hasn't happened yet. 

Are you flying over in centennial? I like watch those cessna's and Gulfstream coming in while I'm at the range on Arapahoe. 

My hobby is learning languages. I've just added a few to my queue.

I just read a book on polyglots and it seems there's a limit to how many languages a person can maintain active at one time. Somewhere between 5 and 7. There are people who know many more languages to some degree, but they can't use most of them properly at the drop of a hat and would need to study for a while to re activate the ones they are not using.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Come on down to Colorado rocky mountains Jean. Can get a 650 lb (295 kg) elk while doing it. 

Thanks for the invite Dan! Travelling to the US during the pandemic was an issue in itself, our government was recommending not to do so while the border was closed for the longest time for non-essential travel...

I'd love to hunt elk one day but it'll likely have to wait a couple of year. I hunt with my dad and he wouldn't travel outside the province to do so. My freezer gets filled with moose meat every fall so doing additional big game hunting would literally imply paying to gift the meat, which is not top priority in my life right now 😉

He will likely retire from the hobby in a decade or so (age) so that should open the field for me.

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Are you flying over in centennial? I like watch those cessna's and Gulfstream coming in while I'm at the range on Arapahoe. 

Yup. KAPA/Centennial, I would be in one of the Cessna's. It'll be a few more years, at least, before I jump in a Gulfstream! Haha

@Jeanff I haven't hunted moose in years (I used to go with my Grandfather in Maine) but I do hunt here in Colorado every year. I usually hunt for Elk every 2 or 3 years, its one of my favorite weeks of the year. Regardless of "success."

My last Elk was a Cow, "only" about 550 lbs/250kg, but big Bulls can push 1,000 lbs/455kg. I always go with 3 or 4 friends, and we rarely all get something on the same trip. Finding somewhere for the meat to go is NEVER a problem. Haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

@Jeanff I haven't hunted moose in years (I used to go with my Grandfather in Maine) but I do hunt here in Colorado every year. I usually hunt for Elk every 2 or 3 years, its one of my favorite weeks of the year. Regardless of "success."

My last Elk was a Cow, "only" about 550 lbs/250kg, but big Bulls can push 1,000 lbs/455kg. I always go with 3 or 4 friends, and we rarely all get something on the same trip. Finding somewhere for the meat to go is NEVER a problem. Haha. 

Cool! Allocation system here is different so you can hunt every year; I think we haven't lucked out on a moose in 25 years... last year, the cow we got gave us about 280 pounds of meat or so, split between the two of us.

Hiking/hunting in New Zealand with my wife would probably be top on the list once I start hunting elsewhere. Still need to get all the detailed info on meat export/import but that just takes time and money.

Second is probably a boar hunt/wine tour in Italy (my wife is Italian so that would definitely work for the both of us)

Right now, US would probably be third on the list, either Colorado or Utah...

We'll see what the future holds :party:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Cool! Allocation system here is different so you can hunt every year; I think we haven't lucked out on a moose in 25 years... last year, the cow we got gave us about 280 pounds of meat or so, split between the two of us.

Hiking/hunting in New Zealand with my wife would probably be top on the list once I start hunting elsewhere. Still need to get all the detailed info on meat export/import but that just takes time and money.

Second is probably a boar hunt/wine tour in Italy (my wife is Italian so that would definitely work for the both of us)

Right now, US would probably be third on the list, either Colorado or Utah...

We'll see what the future holds :party:

I could get an Elk Tag every year, but I like to hunt for lots of other species as well. Turkey, Mule and White Tail Deer, Pronghorn, and Black Bear are my Go-To's. The only problem is I don't have 7-8 weeks a year to hunt. I like to slide a non hunting Vaca in there every now and then too. 😄

I would love to Hunt New Zealand as well. A month long, multi species trip to Alaska is next in the planning stages though. 

• Like 1

I've got two that sorting to mind.

1. Coffee roasting, probably more of a business venture than a hobby.

2. Kite surfing, I've had one lesson of getting slammed into the mud but we're looking to make a move to the coast where there is an abundance of wind.

13 hours ago, Bijan said:

My hobby is learning languages. I've just added a few to my queue.

I just read a book on polyglots and it seems there's a limit to how many languages a person can maintain active at one time. Somewhere between 5 and 7. There are people who know many more languages to some degree, but they can't use most of them properly at the drop of a hat and would need to study for a while to re activate the ones they are not using.

I had a Brazilian friend who was fluent in 7 and could speak a few others fairly well but couldn't write them so didn't count them in good total.

The secret to his success, being a good looking diving instructor who chose his girlfriend's according to language he wanted to learn!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Edicion said:

Laugh all you want but chocolate making. I would really like to get into it.

I make cheese. I like cheese more than I like chocolate. 😳

F5533C17-332E-46A8-BDC6-E9E53AE59FCC.jpeg

3169E233-2C97-4311-9536-771A870B6995.jpeg

On 3/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Corylax18 said:

I actually started the process of obtaining my PPL in February 2020. There have been some, Obstacles?, since then. Its something I've wanted to do since I was a little kid and I'm actively working to get lessons incorporate back into my schedule this summer. 

As other have mentioned, Flying makes the cigar hobby look cheap. I wish I could pick a cheap hobby, but it hasn't happened yet. 

To me, flying is the only time when I have no distractions. No thoughts of work, cell phone is turned off, etc. You kind of end up living the hundreds of axioms associated with the sport. “Three of the most useless things to a pilot: The altitude above you, the fuel that you left on the ground and what happened 1/10th of a second ago...”

As I said earlier, flying is a life changing event. 1st solo makes you both more confident in yourself, while questioning the wisdom of the CFI that thinks you’re ready to fly this thing all by yourself!!! 🤔

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I make cheese. I like cheese more than I like chocolate. 

That's a nice looking cheese, do you age it or is it eaten fresh? 

I've made paneer, Indian style cheese. It worked out well. Must be the easiest cheese to make btw

17 hours ago, Edicion said:

Laugh all you want but chocolate making. I would really like to get into it.

Tempering's a bitch.  Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to show you.  

I'd love to add pulling sugar to my cooking knowledge, although without the pain of developing the calluses on my finger tips.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Edicion said:

That's a nice looking cheese, do you age it or is it eaten fresh? 

I've made paneer, Indian style cheese. It worked out well. Must be the easiest cheese to make btw

That was a caraway seed and dill weed cheddar. I won't open a cheese from the wax for at least 2 years, preferably 3-5. Kinda like cigars!!! 😀

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I would love to Hunt New Zealand as well. A month long, multi species trip to Alaska is next in the planning stages though. 

The Kiwis will not appreciate you shooting their sheep. :lol:

• Haha 2

Lobster traps.  I'd like to have 10-20 lobster traps that I could manage once or twice a week on the Cape.  A friend has a free dock I could use and we'll just go total pig on the lobsters I get each week.   It's so dramatic pulling up a lobster trap.

I'd like to learn some languages as @Bijan does!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I'd like to learn to play guitar. 

But it ain't happening. 

E  A  G  C  D. You have now written virtually every song you've ever heard! 😀

1 hour ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I'd like to learn to play guitar. 

But it ain't happening. 

I got an electric guitar figuring I could learn pretty quickly - that’s a no 😁

What I learned was to really appreciate how hard it is and how much I’ll never be able to get it. 

• Like 1