Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

2 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

The actual rates are what they are.

The tested confirmed numbers are 94K+ confirmed positive.  Sadly 1435 dead.

The numbers in every state are pointing almost straight up with no relief in sight.  The ONLY way, and I've been on the top of roof shouting this for weeks, that we are going to get the numbers to flat line is a national lockdown.  Most of the top medical doctors in the United States are preaching the same.  Screw the economy, it can and will recover.  We can't dig up our family and friends to talk to them ever again. 

1. Numbers are mainly going up to due us just ramping up testing. 2. The economy cannot "just" recover. Most businesses with zero revenue or cashflow go under in 30 days. Companies like Boeing are on life-support at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm thankful for a rainy weekend expected in Chicago. Hopefully it will keep people indoors. Besides the lockdown, everyone here has spring fever as always this time of year and is dying to get out and about.  I think too many people think this virus is a big nothing burger. I keep hearing from too many that it's a contrived hoax. We all need to open our minds to what the health care pros are saying rather than picking a narrative that fits our individual desires.  I'll happily eat crow if the future proves the hoax theorists right.  Meantime, lets all behave as a team rather than the self indulgent egomaniacs that we can tend to be. Stay healthy my brothers and sisters. 

• Like 3

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763983

Treatment of 5 Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 With Convalescent Plasma

In this uncontrolled case series of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), administration of convalescent plasma containing neutralizing antibody was followed by an improvement in clinical status.

All 5 patients (age range, 36-65 years; 2 women) were receiving mechanical ventilation at the time of treatment and all had received antiviral agents and methylprednisolone. Following plasma transfusion, body temperature normalized within 3 days in 4 of 5 patients, the SOFA score decreased, and Pao2/Fio2 increased within 12 days (range, 172-276 before and 284-366 after). Viral loads also decreased and became negative within 12 days after the transfusion, and SARS-CoV-2–specific ELISA and neutralizing antibody titers increased following the transfusion (range, 40-60 before and 80-320 on day 7). ARDS resolved in 4 patients at 12 days after transfusion, and 3 patients were weaned from mechanical ventilation within 2 weeks of treatment. Of the 5 patients, 3 have been discharged from the hospital (length of stay: 53, 51, and 55 days), and 2 are in stable condition at 37 days after transfusion.

Good news on the convalescent plasma front - a promising therapy that requires no FDA/EMEA approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dangolf18 said:

1. Numbers are mainly going up to due us just ramping up testing. 2. The economy cannot "just" recover. Most businesses with zero revenue or cashflow go under in 30 days. Companies like Boeing are on life-support at the moment.

no, the "numbers" go up because more people get infected. we might be now finding more because of better testing but the real problem is the virus.

i know what you mean but look at the other major countries to have large %s (yes, all relative). spain, iran, italy, germany and so on. many of those did not have quite the same issues testing. yet those numbers have been skyrocketing over the last week. the only one that seems to have flattened is china - i understand many of us have doubts as to their reporting (and reporting in general). so it could be that or perhaps it is their lockdown policies. 

even if this finished today, and it is obviously not going to do that, the economy is badly damaged. by the time this is over, it could be catastrophic. i'm trying to borrow some money this week - not large amounts - because no one is paying me and i do have to make some payments. so i am all too aware of the problems. but seriously, you cannot put lives ahead of the economy (yes, many will). i am all too aware that there is every chance that i could very likely be belly up by the end of this. certainly, a devastated economy will bring about many more problems and cause issues, but for now, it has to be the health of people first.

the family and friends comment by our unfortunately named friend, capt corona, is right. if we were offered the choice of a healthy business/bank account or a healthy family, which would most of us opt for? 

• Like 4

I think upwards of 85% of people will get it.the virus spreads so easily, unavoidable imo.  The key is to flatten the curve not to overwhelm the health system. Of course the numbers go up, as they are testing millions more people, and time is not our friend currently.  Hopefully those at risk can hide long enough to find a cure, and a vaccine. Reality of the global world today we live in. Stay safe

Forced Government shutdowns in the name of safety..I have no say , so I have no opinion.

But as always, you are free to seclude yourselves voluntarily forever if you choose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dangolf18 said:

Where did I say the economy will "just" recover?  Please read what I did say... "it can and will recover"  It always has and it always will recover even after every down period created by whatever cause the down turn in the first place.  My point being... saving lives in pandemic times should take precedence over everything else.

Of course the positive case numbers are going to increase with increased testing....until the test kits run out....and they are very quickly being depleted in my state.  The first ones sent here by the feds were a bunch of botches and showed inconclusive results.  One of the reasons I believe why our numbers in the state were so low.  Once we run out, the confirmed cases will stall again and start to give false hope while the virus still will run rampant.   Let's face the hard facts.  Total unpreparedness on a multitude of levels because it's like watching someone else's house burn to the ground while we ourselves believe something like that will never happen to us. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

A very good watch...

I never paid much attention to Mr Gates until last night.  I knew him and his wife had a foundation that was a world wide offering. That was about it for me... just some rich guy doing good with some of his excess moola.  My eyes were opened and I intend to educate myself more about the man and his ways.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

I never paid much attention to Mr Gates until last night.  I knew him and his wife had a foundation that was a world wide offering. That was about it for me... just some rich guy doing good with some of his excess moola.  My eyes were opened and I intend to educate myself more about the man and his ways.

Yes same here....someone pointed me towards this vid

He had mentioned this happening several years ago actually...

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready?language=en

• Like 1

2 hours ago, db13 said:

This is deeply disturbing on many levels...

I’m still not understanding the view here. Do you think we should have shut down the entire economy for swine flu to have minimized the 18,000 lives that perished in the US? I don’t see the logic but I’m open to listening. 

17 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I’m still not understanding the view here. Do you think we should have shut down the entire economy for swine flu to have minimized the 18,000 lives that perished in the US? I don’t see the logic but I’m open to listening. 

i understand the tradeoff that occurs day to day, year to year, but this is an active threat that is killing people around the world and the end is not in sight. if you need to have someone explain that the priority should be saving lives then, with respect, i really don't think you'll ever understand. perhaps when you/your family/friends are afflicted that might change. 

• Like 2

Global forecast is 10 million deaths Ken. And the simple question being if it was your wife or child would you shut it all down to save one.  Of course you would Riverstyx.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

if you need to have someone explain that the priority should be saving lives then, with respect, i really don't think you'll ever understand. perhaps when you/your family/friends are afflicted that might change. 

This is condescending virtue signaling.

Anyone can easily outbid your compassion by advocating global ban on all automobiles to prevent the well more than one million road deaths every year.  Would you oppose that?  I assume you're sensible and would oppose an all out ban.

And when you express opposition to that, would you like to have someone suggest "I really don't think you'll ever understand".   It's condescending and rude.  He's raising a valid and difficult question to answer.  You're not morally superior to him for not wanting to even think about or calmly discuss the issue.

12 minutes ago, TheGipper said:

Anyone can easily outbid your compassion by advocating global ban on all automobiles to prevent the well more than one million road deaths every year.  Would you oppose that?  I assume you're sensible and would oppose an all out ban.

And when you express opposition to that, would you like to have someone suggest "I really don't think you'll ever understand".   It's condescending and rude.  He's raising a valid and difficult question to answer.  You're not morally superior to him for not wanting to even think about or calmly discuss the issue.

Thank you. I’m asking if it’s really a logical argument to an objective observer. And if it was my wife? Hell yes, I’d do anything to save her but again, that could be said about any of the issues (e.g. H1N1, etc). (Also, it has affected me as I have a close friend that has it.) With respect, if you’re emotionally invested without being open to other opinions, you won’t ever TRY to understand. Which is all I’m trying to do. 

10 minutes ago, TheGipper said:

i don't recall claiming superiority in any form over anyone but read into it what you want. and thanks for assuming things on my behalf, if you want condescending and rude. 

you think whether or not we should try and save potentially millions of people is a difficult question? it might be for you but i would hope not. 

i am all too aware of the damage this is doing to the economy. as i have said elsewhere, i am trying to borrow money to stay afloat. even if i can, the best outcome for me will likely be years of debt. more likely, bankruptcy. the day i swap that for someone's life is not worth thinking about. 

the rest of what you say is ludicrous. you want to compare the benefits of automobiles to the benefits of a pandemic? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Play the ball and not the man. Many of you are sailing close to the wind. If you have seen a post deleted, you are likely to be close behind. 

For the record, I believe a 100% LockDown to be an absolute last resort.  If you can pull off a staged shutdown accompanied by social distancing to slow the virus, great.

Economies are millions of businesses the majority of which are small to medium in size backed by mums and dads who have been told to jump off a cliff by public servants for the sake of the community.  Those public servants are still getting paid.....they will be fine. 

The pushback/scepticism is understandable. 

If 100% lockdown has to occur then so be it but ensure small and medium business is taken care of up front and  the mechanism for their survival simply not kicked down to road.

• Like 1

I feel like there were a lot of assumptions made that are not remotely close to what I said.

@Ken Gargett"If you need to have someone explain that the priority should be saving lives then, with respect, i really don't think you'll ever understand."  I never said the priority shouldn't be saving lives.  Never.  Ever.  That's changing what I said entirely.

@db13"I have a problem with greed and selfishness. When is enough enough? At the expense of lives? Apparently not for some folks."  This appears to be in reference to my post (if not, I apologize).  If you think what I originally said is due to greed and selfishness, I think you should read it again.  

What I did say is that a blanket statement like, "Seriously, you cannot put lives ahead of the economy" doesn't make sense to me.  It appears to me to be inconsistent and hypocritical.  Should we have shut down the whole global economy for H1N1?  I have absolutely no clue whether the coronavirus is worthy of shutting down the economy and made no arguments for or against it; and my view is irrelevant to the question but it appears others assume I'm saying something I'm not so I'll just clarify that.  And that appears to be what you're arguing with me about, but that's not what I said. There is plenty of overconfidence right now, and I think it's more helpful to be open minded rather than telling me I won't ever understand something.  As Rob said, "play the ball and not the man."  Don't attack me instead of answering the question.  What happened to civil discourse?

• Like 2

Some perspective, and looking forward.

Every day, around the world, about 40 people/million die (estimated mean lifespan of 70 years). On a typical day 13200 Americans die, today we’ve lost about 500 to COVID-19, increasing our death rate by 4% (obviously much higher in the hot-spots).

Italy’s population of 60 million means that on average 2,400 Italians die each day. Today, about 900 Italians died of COVID-19, increasing the death rate by nearly 40%. They are not out of the woods. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/28/coronavirus-latest-news/

It took 1 month to get 1,000 dead in the US from COVID-19. The next 1,000 took two days. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

It took 1 month to get 1,000 dead in the US from COVID-19. The next 1,000 took two days. 

It is indeed deadly serious. 

I won't permit posts referring to it all as a "Hoax" or "just a flu" while we  currently have Italian and Spanish members locked up and watching their kin drop like flies around them. Re-reading some of the posts early on in this thread shows how wrong people can be. There needs to be some decency and understanding of what people are going through internationally. People need to think outside of their built in biases. However, nobody should ever be asked to stop questioning and simply swallow the official line. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

if i have misread or misunderstood anyone's posts then i most sincerely apologise. similarly if i have misspoken myself in relation to this.

if i may clarify my position briefly - i am all in favour of everything possible being done to revive/sustain/maintain the economy but not at the expense of lives. and i find it extremely difficult to understand how anyone could think otherwise. 

i shall now retire for lunch. 

36 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

if i have misread or misunderstood anyone's posts then i most sincerely apologise. similarly if i have misspoken myself in relation to this.

if i may clarify my position briefly - i am all in favour of everything possible being done to revive/sustain/maintain the economy but not at the expense of lives. and i find it extremely difficult to understand how anyone could think otherwise. 

i shall now retire for lunch. 

Seems sane enough.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

Ken, the destruction of peoples livelihoods also costs lives and has a long term impact. Those lives just don't appear on a score sheet. 

To reiterate, Government has an unenviable job to get the balance right. I am not sure they can. 

• Like 1