Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

So with the fear of a widespread outbreak of the Wuhan Coronavirus I'm starting to see a lot more face masks on travelers in US airports.

And now our company is considering to hold our annual sales conference virtually rather than having 1000 people converge in Las Vegas week after next.

A brother on the board is in Hong Kong working at the airport. He tells me the schools are closed, government workers ordered to stay home at least through this week and level of effort for virus prevention and scanning is taking a toll.

Will be interesting to hear what others are seeing now and in the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

Over the weekend a case was confirmed in our city, I think just the third instance in the US?  Apparently someone who traveled here from Wuhan.

It is definitely creating a lot of concern and rumors.  We've gone out to eat the past two nights, and both restaurants were noticeably more empty than usual.

Other than that, not much.  Hopefully stays that way.

3 minutes ago, AlohaStyle said:

I've driven past a bunch of times the hospital where the 1st case in the US is at... crazy how a robot is tending to the person.  Hoping it hasn't spread.  I also saw a video of a girl wearing a mask dumping out all her Coronas.  

Beer or cigars?

• Haha 1

More infections in China by 12% already than SARS in 2002 and 2003.

NYT reports ...

◆ Tibet reported its first confirmed case.

◆ Thailand has reported 14 cases of infection; Hong Kong has 10; the United States, Taiwan, Australia and Macau have five each; Singapore, South Korea and Malaysia each have reported four; Japan has 11; France has five; Germany has four; Canada has three; Vietnam has two; and Nepal, Cambodia, and the United Arab Emirates each have one.

◆ Cases recorded in Taiwan, Germany, Vietnam and Japan involved patients who had not been to China. There have been no reported deaths outside China

This stuff is bad news. My Alma matter Miami U isn’t letting b ball team travel. And on and on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's 2 reported cases so far in Canada and a possible 3rd. I heard a story of someone at work went out for lunch with an asian friend and they were getting "looks" sadly. Seems like uneducated people think everyone of asian decent has it...sad stuff...

IF you are Asian( I am ) or look Chinese, you will be suspected. If you then cough or sneeze, people will literally run away from you. 

The fear is gripping everyone, people are reading up on it and not questioning if the information is based on facts or fake. 

44 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Beer or cigars?

It is great to see beer companies are now sponsoring viruses. I assume the money is going to research. 

24 minutes ago, jay8354 said:

IF you are Asian( I am ) or look Chinese, you will be suspected. If you then cough or sneeze, people will literally run away from you. 

...you and fuzz are doing this for laughs....aren't you ;)

Just back from New Jersey and at both Newark and the Toronto airports lots of travelers, security workers and customs agents wearing masks.

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

It is great to see beer companies are now sponsoring viruses. I assume the money is going to research. 

My 13 year old came up with the idea, she wanted to scare people on the bus, while on her way to school. 

Why waste a perfectly good idea / prank? 

The paranoia is not limited to Westerners, the Chinese themselves are driving most of this. 

I have see pictures of people covering themselves in garbage bags head to toe in airports, people wearing 6lt water bottles on their heads (with the wrong level of face masks) to supposedly prevent being sneezed at (water droplets and all). 

Haven’t worked since mid Jan, am back to Japan on the weekend so we’ll see. 

If it was me I’d be happy to ban flights from China to my part of the world, but many people travel via intermediate places plus it would affect the tourist dollar. 

Really hoping we’ll be spared in Hawaii but I expect it any day now. 

5 hours ago, jay8354 said:

The fear is gripping everyone, people are reading up on it and not questioning if the information is based on facts or fake. 

Not just you. For years, your kids have been plague carriers! Every time I pop over, I go down with whatever freaky kid germs you're riddled with!

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I bought shares in a surgical mask factory.... :P

On Monday, I flew on a one-day business trip (a domestic flight in Russia) and was met by doctors with a thermal imager in the arrival area.

If I had a fever, I would be stuck in quarantine for 2 weeks.

We still have the Soviet compulsory system for fighting epidemics, so there are no fears of infection spreading.

On January 31, the government closes the border with China.

There is a lot of attention in the news about the epidemic, but I don't see it in the foreign media.

The forums are actively arguing whether the virus can move in parcels from Aliexpress.

7 hours ago, jay8354 said:

Happens in France it seems - this from the BBC yesterday :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51294305

"French Asians have taken to social media to complain of a backlash against them in response to the Chinese coronavirus outbreak.

China has already seen almost 6,000 cases and 132 deaths, and France has had four cases confirmed.

Anti-Asian racism has been reported in the UK and elsewhere, and now French Asians have complained of abuse on public transport and social media.

They have been using the hashtag JeNeSuisPasUnVirus (I'm not a virus).

There was an outcry when local newspaper Le Courier Picard used the inflammatory headlines "Alerte jaune" (Yellow alert) and "Le péril jaune?" (Yellow peril?), complete with an image of a Chinese woman wearing a protective mask."

As far as Germany is concerned - we have 4 confirmed cases in Bavaria. Infected during a company meeting by a staff member who only became diagnosed after she was back in China...

The crazy thing for me is that there are no airport screenings of passengers arriving from China but yesterday Lufthansa has suspended all flights there.

11 minutes ago, Hookmaker said:

We’ve got to see things in context: the annual Influenza epidemic of 2016/17 cost 25,000 lives in Germany alone, so the way I see it - keep cool and carry onemoji41.png

This is from the U.S. CDC website right now - CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths from flu.  Yet before the coronavirus news, I didn't see people wearing masks, now they're all over the place.  People in my office are actually scared since one of the confirmed cases is 3 towns away from our office.  The amount of drama that is generated by social media is unreal.

I'm heading to Vegas without my mask or my foil hat and I've never had a flu shot..it's probably like committing suicide.  Gimme a break

• Like 2

9 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Wanted to put things into perspective. This coronavirus is obviously very serious. I had a friend in healthcare give me some stats today which really hit home.
He said there has been 5 reported cases in the US, I know of 2 in Canada, BUT the CDC estimates at least 15 million influenza cases, 140,000 hospitalizations, and 8200 deaths by the flu. But we don’t hear anything about this. Interesting how the media can really have an insane impact, based on where it wants to direct its attention.

THANK YOU!! 

The same to others that have posted something similar.

We don't walk around every winter talking about how the Flu might wipe us off the planet this year, but every year far more people die than whatever new avian/swine/corona bullsh*t we're worried about. 

Everything is going to be fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

THANK YOU!! 

The same to others that have posted something similar.

We don't walk around every winter talking about how the Flu might wipe us off the planet this year, but every year far more people die than whatever new avian/swine/corona bullsh*t we're worried about. 

Everything is going to be fine. 

Yeah, hype does a LOT of damage, and nothing seems to make people move more than fear mongering. Doesn't help when airlines are now cancelling flights left and right to that region, just adds to the hysteria. 

Also just saw that a whole cruise ship of 7,000 people was quarantined at a port in Italy because 1 person exhibited symptoms of coronavirus (person is from Macau, China).

12 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Now imagine that influenza was highly contagious and spread before showing symptoms with 2 - 3x the mortality rate.

That's the coronavirus.

It is serious and has a real potential to become a pandemic. People shouldn't be panicking, but in the same vein it strikes me that media outlets are downplaying valid concern.

Fully agree.

In any event, the disease appears to have a reproduction number of around three ( it's early in the game for analysis ) and an average latency period of about nine days. That means it will likely spread fast enough and widely enough that the world won't even come close to having the facilities to provide that level of isolation -- and, if the virus is transmissible before symptoms are evident, there would be no way to even guess which humans to try to isolate.

• Like 2