• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

I've only ever had one. It was very good. But I think they were unbanded and Corona Gorda vitola (same as Punch Punch). If this is a Coronas Grandes (Siglo III size) then it's a Super Selection No. 1.
Honestly have no idea
They were gifted to me so I'm only able to go off what I was told it was

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lrabold89 said:

I’m really not sure you need much more in your regular rotation than a few nice partagas cigars …between this, E2, D4, the short and lusi, I really don’t see much need for anything else ….D5, what a treasure …think it gets overlooked because the petit robusto game is quite saturated

Interesting. I smoke a ton of Partagas (if I had to choose it’s probably my favorite marca) and have never really considered the D5 because I’m not a huge fan of the vitola. I think I’ll have to get me a few to try. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bijan said:
I've only ever had one. It was very good. But I think they were unbanded and Corona Gorda vitola (same as Punch Punch). If this is a Coronas Grandes (Siglo III size) then it's a Super Selection No. 1.

@Bijan

So I looked it up on cubancigarwebsite.com, and prior to 2005, the SS1 had no bands, and the SS2 never had any bands.

Now I'm very confused about why mine has a band, if its supposed to be a 1998 SS2. If true, it shouldn't have a band.

And if you are correct that it's an SS1, being 1998 it also should have no band.

Leads me to believe you are correct that it's a SS1, and if its a 1998, it also shouldn't have a band.

So, I can only assume that you are correct that it's a SS1, and must actually be later than 2005, not 1998.

I will try to dig through my pm's and see who I got them from (I have purchased, traded, and been generously gifted so many cigars the last month that I can't keep up with what came from who), and ask him for clarification on vitola and age

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:
A splendid Esplendido

How are the Esplendidos?

Was generously gifted a 2012 one, but have been saving it for a special occasion, so I have never tried one yet, mainly because I can't find them as singles anywhere, but also the are quite pricey.

Are they worth the high price?
I do see them pop up in these threads fairly often

48 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

@Bijan

So I looked it up on cubancigarwebsite.com, and prior to 2005, the SS1 had no bands, and the SS2 never had any bands.

Now I'm very confused about why mine has a band, if its supposed to be a 1998 SS2. If true, it shouldn't have a band.

And if you are correct that it's an SS1, being 1998 it also should have no band.

Leads me to believe you are correct that it's a SS1, and if its a 1998, it also shouldn't have a band.

So, I can only assume that you are correct that it's a SS1, and must actually be later than 2005, not 1998.

I will try to dig through my pm's and see who I got them from (I have purchased, traded, and been generously gifted so many cigars the last month that I can't keep up with what came from who), and ask him for clarification on vitola and age

If it helps narrow it down that band from your picture is the old Punch band with RE in the middle so pre 2009. For many cigars that would put it 2005-2009, but some cigars (those that came in dress boxes) came in versions with bands before 2005 too, but not the SS1 and SS2 (since they only came in slide lid boxes). For example it could be a Punch Black Prince which was the same size as SS2 and always had bands.

15 hours ago, Ites said:

Hdm ee received as 3-pack tubos from wife's business travels. First one had lots of creamy and sweet flavour but with a hard draw (and I didn't have anything to poke it with at the time). This one was the opposite. Let's see if third time's the charm

Last EE I had was tight. Drilled it out with a 1/8 drill bit and bam, good to go. 

14 hours ago, Hollywood Ninja said:

A good day. 12th wedding anniversary, couple pours of Oban, an 8oz filet and this Opus X from ‘06. 2yo even behaved himself at the restaurant.

Happy anniversary!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

How are the Esplendidos?

Was generously gifted a 2012 one, but have been saving it for a special occasion, so I have never tried one yet, mainly because I can't find them as singles anywhere, but also the are quite pricey.

"Are they worth the high price?" is a very relative question, which makes it impossible to answer.  $1000 to some people, means something completely different to some other people.  If I was Jeff Bezos, I would keep a humidor fully stocked with Cohiba Siglo VI Gran Reservas, and I would tell you, "Yes, the $10,000 price tag is definitely worth it.  Buy up as many as you can."

That said, the Esplendido is my 3rd favorite regular production cigar, right after the Siglo VI and CPE.  In most cases, I opt to buy the Siglo VI, which I find to be more subtle/less bold than the Esplendido.  So it all depends on your palate.  I always like to keep a couple of boxes of Esplendidos around for the sake of variety.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:
"Are they worth the high price?" is a very relative question, which makes it impossible to answer.  $1000 to some people, means something completely different to some other people.  If I was Jeff Bezos, I would keep a humidor fully stocked with Cohiba Siglo VI Gran Reservas, and I would tell you, "Yes, the $10,000 price tag is definitely worth it.  Buy up as many as you can."
That said, the Esplendido is my 3rd favorite regular production cigar, right after the Siglo VI and CPE.  In most cases, I opt to buy the Siglo VI, which I find to be more subtle/less bold than the Esplendido.  So it all depends on your palate.  I always like to keep a couple of boxes of Esplendidos around for the sake of variety.

I definitely understand.

Am just curious about them since I see them pop up in these threads fairly often so assume they must be pretty popular.

Unfortunately, i only buy multiple singles or 3,4 and 5 packs as i have no space for boxes and prefer having a lot of variety on hand, and haven't found them as singles anywhere, so if I like the one I have I will have to get them in a trade or private sale if I'm lucky.

7 hours ago, Bijan said:
If it helps narrow it down that band from your picture is the old Punch band with RE in the middle so pre 2009. For many cigars that would put it 2005-2009, but some cigars (those that came in dress boxes) came in versions with bands before 2005 too, but not the SS1 and SS2 (since they only came in slide lid boxes). For example it could be a Punch Black Prince which was the same size as SS2 and always had bands.

@Bijan

Just measured it and it's about 5.5 inches and 42 rg, so it doesn't fit the dimensions of the SS1 or SS2, so now I have no idea what it actually is

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Just measured it and it's about 5.5 inches and 42 rg, so it doesn't fit the dimensions of the SS1 or SS2, so now I have no idea what it actually is

Sounds like a punch Corona. That would be 42 and 5 5/8.

6 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

I definitely understand.

Am just curious about them since I see them pop up in these threads fairly often so assume they must be pretty popular.

Unfortunately, i only buy multiple singles or 3,4 and 5 packs as i have no space for boxes and prefer having a lot of variety on hand, and haven't found them as singles anywhere, so if I like the one I have I will have to get them in a trade or private sale if I'm lucky.

I could be wrong, but I think on occasion, Rob sells them in 3 packs, or at least 1/4 box or 6 cigars.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I could be wrong, but I think on occasion, Rob sells them in 3 packs, or at least 1/4 box or 6 cigars.

Yes 3 cigar cardboard packs are still available but 6 cigar quarter boxes are more rare due to availability.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

How are the Esplendidos?

The Esplendido is the special occasion.  All you need is 2 hours with few distractions to really enjoy it.  No other occasion is necessary.  One man's opinion.

• Like 4