Deep Dive: Montecristo Number 4

El Presidente

Montecristo Number 4   

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Montecristo Number 4 

For many it is the cigar that introduced them to the Cuban cigar world. 

The most sold Cuban cigar in the world. Often derided and overlooked, yet Monte 4 devotees know how good they can be. 

Let's talk Montecristo Number 4 

• Do you like  Montecristo Number 4  
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Number 4 
  • Do the poll!

Montecristo Number 4 :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

It is the cigar that introduced me to the Cuban cigar world.  I'm still fairly new to Cubans so it's my baseline that I compare other cigars to. I'm curious to what everyone has to say.  It takes me about 25-30 minutes to smoke.

• Like 2

I'd have to put it in my top three everyday smokes. Hits all the right notes for me when I'm looking to relax and enjoy a cigar without having to think about it too much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iamjd said:

It is the cigar that introduced me to the Cuban cigar world.  I'm still fairly new to Cubans so it's my baseline that I compare other cigars to. I'm curious to what everyone has to say.  It takes me about 25-30 minutes to smoke.

For me, Mareva-sized Petit Coronas like Montecristo No. 4 take 65 minutes to be fully puffed but I'm a slow CC puffer. I only had an aged Monte 4 (AEM MAY 14) with Standard Band C from @Raskol a long time ago; it was one of the tastiest Cuban Petit Coronas I've ever had 😃

• Like 2

Tried and true warrior for a reason. Yes, there can be some box to box consistency issues but the Monte 4 is typically very good. And although not often I have had some that are solid 94-95 pointers which is no small feat. 

Late last year I was smoking quite a few Monte 1 and Monte 4 and I have to say I actually preferred the blend of the Monte 4. 

• Like 3

When you get a good Monte 4 you remember why you keep buying them. For me they are good when I'm in the mood for one. 

• Like 1

Love them. Trademark Montecristo flavors in a one hour duration. One of my favorite sizes of cigars. Luckily all my boxes so far have been great in construction and consistency. Have not noticed any blend changes, but haven't been smoking these for decades like some here. All in all, a great cigar that should be in everyone's humidor. Unless of course the traditional Monte flavors are not to your liking!

• Like 1

• Do you like  Montecristo Number 4 . The past 3 or so years has been a renaissance - raised from the dead imo
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. Might be up to the second spot in the PC realm after the Sig II. I hate sitting on the fence, but I'll grab either a Monte 4 or Boli PC when I'm in the mood for a PC.
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when? Much fuller and richer flavours since 2018/19. It felt like it was just uninspiring before that - almost like the rollers were just training on it and were bored
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Number 4 . PCs in general take me 60-70 min. Honestly longer than a robusto

Cheers!

• Like 3

I don't really get the Monte 4.  I think a Boli PC is a superior PC and for Montes, I prefer 1s, 2s, 3s, and Edmundo.  

• Like 1

I completely get this cigar and the petit corona size.  The size seems to deliver the overall cigar experience I am after, about an hour or little more of intense chocolate, earthy, bold tobacco taste that seems to completely relax and take the stress of the day away.  (Same as well for the PLPC with a different flavour profile)

Looking to add many more boxes!

• Like 4

These are a great PC like others have mentioned. Similar to the no1 and other Monte generally. I like them a lot - but the Bolivar PC is probably better overall oomph when I go for a short format cigar.

• Like 4

"I get it", however I've gotta admit I'm still a little in doubt. With only a few years of sampling I can't say I've smoked alot of these but do agree they can be inconsistent. Some have been a tad boring and/or too bold, others delicate and tasty.

Have been considering trying the Mc3 as an alternative. I remember a FOH review mentioning that the Mc3 may be a little more consistent as it is produced in lower volumes.

A petit corona like the Mc4 takes around 60 minutes for me to smoke. 

• Like 2

A buddy calls them the “vin du Maison” as he smokes so many. 
Im not quite there but like them in the rotation. Just ordered a 5x5 on sale at another place today before swing this thread. Had been a while since I ordered anywhere but here. 5x5 serve well for a night out w the boys where larger format may not fit the timing. 
A good no 4 is worth the effort. A meh box quickly becomes a yard gar for me. 

• Like 2