Have we reached cigarmageddon?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate you taking it to the (or one of the) appropriate sandpits. Thank you.  The increase today was flagged in January/February by all distributors. Some imposed it 6 weeks ago, PCC advise

Don't worry about me....I am pretty thick skinned  There is a lot of "moon howling" everywhere at the moment.  It will die down as folks adjust their expectations and/or their buying habits. HSA

Yes. The price hikes, especially on the Cohiba and Trinidad front has a lot of people on other cigar forums bummed out.  Those who are new to the hobby cannot comprehend what it will cost them to even

4 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

If you think its bad now, Gird your Loins. Cuba doesnt have a plan to even start making things better, or the resources to execute a plan if they did have one. This recent price increase is a clear sign that HSA's new ownership has accepted this as fact. Rather than figure out how to increase the production and quality coming from HSA, the plan is clearly to shrink demand to whatever measly level of production the island can muster. 

Prepare your self for prices to continue increasing as the quality and quantity of cigars produced continues declining. The entire country is falling apart, the cigar industry included. 

So you're saying that we should NOT jettison all of our old boxes of cigars?

Just now, Frinkiac7 said:

So you're saying that we should NOT jettison all of our old boxes of cigars?

I completely understand people selling of boxes of Cohiba when each stick now sells for close to what an entire box used to. Beyond that, I would suggest keeping your stash under lock and key. 😄

• Like 1

My gut is that smaller format sticks will be available and some of the more popular larger format sticks will be around at a premium. The chances of regularly seeing Dip 2’s or even SLR Regios though. Good luck. 

40 minutes ago, Homer said:

How would you react if the price of BMW would increase 100-200% and for the new price you get the same old car + extra BMW sticker that you can put where ever you like?

BMW at least works/functions. 😏

Not yet. Seems to be that recent production is very good. People will pay for good cigars. Lots. We'll have a bonafide cigarmegeddon if Habanos sells second rate Cohiba, Trinidad, and lesser yet not inexpencive cigars at exorbitant prices. 

I too think it is going to be interesting seeing where this goes.  Can the average Joe weather the storm.  :unsure:

Have not acquired any Cohiba or Trini in quite a while.  This new marketing strategy is crazy man.  Crazy!  :confused:

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

They don't care about the "average joe". 

To their mind there are plenty of other cigars in their portfolio and if they are too expensive, go smoke NC. 

It is a very pointed strategy. Maybe it is working as anecdotally the impact of the price increases on global sales has been zero. 

That is bad news indeed. Early days yet however. 

The stock shortages are no doubt plastering over any normal price rise impact. 

I do wonder if they "put off" a die hard Cuban cigar smoker, what the likelihood is that they would come back in the future, assuming pricing came back down to planet Earth.

1 hour ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I do wonder if they "put off" a die hard Cuban cigar smoker, what the likelihood is that they would come back in the future, assuming pricing came back down to planet Earth.

Some of us will defect forever...some will be waiting in the wings for when the crash happens & laugh in glee as we restock our humidors with needed CCs at reasonable prices. I fall in the later camp, I'll be ready...

• Like 3

I don’t think of this as a business decision. These are gov’t controlled actors who need “x” amount of dollars to survive. Long term strategy does not, in my opinion, weight on any thought process. Survival now is the only thought.
 Thinking is “ we need 100million dollars, we have 1000 cohiba cigars.” Do the math. 
I enjoy Cuban tobacco over anything else. Period. But if I pay 50$ for a smoke, can I really relax and enjoy it? What if it was a dog rocket? Feeling relaxed? Plugged? Am I relaxing now? Toss it and grab another? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

They don't care about the "average joe". 

To their mind there are plenty of other cigars in their portfolio and if they are too expensive, go smoke NC. 

It is a very pointed strategy. Maybe it is working as anecdotally the impact of the price increases on global sales has been zero. 

That is bad news indeed. Early days yet however. 

The stock shortages are no doubt plastering over any normal price rise impact. 

Yea.  I keep thinking that there are plenty of countries outside of China that will struggle at best with these prices.  But maybe their thinking is that the impact will be picked up elsewhere.  Just seems like even China would have trouble with this.