Deep Dive: We need to talk about Vegueros.

El Presidente

Vegueros   

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You will see some Entretempos up on todays 2424 but that is not the point of this thread. 

Everyone....well almost everyone, is looking for some cheaper smoking altenatives. 

So how does the Vegueros lineup stack up in your eyes .....more importantly, your palate?

Centrofinos  (Robusto)

Tapados      (Corona Extra) 

Mananitas   (Petit Piramide) 

Entretiempos (Petit Edmundo). 

In terms of flavour can you lump them all into the same boat?

Is there a favourite of yours? What is the flavour and body profile?

Is there one you just can't take to ....and yet another that you enjoy? Is there one you love or do you think that  they all just suck?

Perhaps most helpful. 

If someone enjoys XXXXX cigar they would enjoy the Veguero XXXXX

Let's shine some light  :D

VeguerosEntreTinsABR22.jpg

• Like 2

Being that I've never had one, I'd like the opportunity to try.  I think those of us who have not yet dipped our toe into the lesser known (cigars that dont typically show up on 24:24) cubanos would also be interested to see how they compare.  

• Thanks 2

I  find them to be pretty decent for what they are, which to me is a relatively inexpensive but tasty cigar without too much complexity. I prefer the Tapados and Mananitas, but enjoy the entretiempos too. From what I remember, the flavors are wood/cedar, earth, and a creaminess that can sometimes be sweet. Its not something I buy that often, but when I do I tend to enjoy them. They're good for the morning or afternoon.

Don't think I've ever had a plugged one - construction has been surprisingly good in my experience.  I've never tried ERDM yet, so I can't compare those, but I will say that I think I see some similarities to certain Hoyos - Palmas or maybe Depute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bishop532 said:

I  find them to be pretty decent for what they are, which to me is a relatively inexpensive but tasty cigar without too much complexity. I prefer the Tapados and Mananitas, but enjoy the entretiempos too. From what I remember, the flavors are wood/cedar, earth, and a creaminess that can sometimes be sweet. Its not something I buy that often, but when I do I tend to enjoy them. They're good for the morning or afternoon.

Don't think I've ever had a plugged one - construction has been surprisingly good in my experience.  I've never tried ERDM yet, so I can't compare those, but I will say that I think I see some similarities to certain Hoyos - Palmas or maybe Depute.

At their pre-shortage price, the Tapados were a steal and had great value.

• Like 1

My choice of Vegueros is the Tapados, just because I like the vitola. To me they’re great smokes, basic pleasant flavors but often a unique grassy note that I haven’t much encountered elsewhere. They’re by no means a very rich or complex blend, but a fine cigar nonetheless. 
In a double blind, they wouldn’t scream ‘cheap cigar’ and I bet they’d end up scoring higher than we would imagine. 

I get it

• Like 3

I got a free pack of the Tapados with an order I made a year or so back. I was very pleasantly surprised by the taste and although it was one dimensional and fairly woody I actually enjoyed it. It’s one I would be unlikely to buy but I wouldn’t say no if offered

• Like 1

I've tried the manatinas and centrofinos. Manatinas is a good quick smoke. I found them pretty one dimensional but enjoyable. Very grassy young. I could see similarities a little with a cohiba. Good for a morning smoke or afternoon. Centrofinos was very heavy young for me. Very earthy/woody. I found them medium body. Not bad but did not satisfy me at first then grew on me as they aged out. Good construction nice size. They definitely need time to age out. Way to big of a nicotine hit for me at first. Had to put a few down. Maybe just the batch I got I dunno. Nice to have around for average day smoke. Good cigar while working didn't pull my attention so much but was enjoyable. Not something I even cared if I finished it 100%. I guess now I should with cigar dustbowl we find overselves in.

• Like 2

I purchased some Tapados and Mananitas a couple of years back. The construction was good -pretty consistent. The flavor profile was very woody and bland, it did not remind me of any other habano. It didn't seem to be the type of cigar that would benefit from age. Not a bad smoke by any means, just not my cup of tea. Honestly if it was between these two Vegueros and similarly priced non-cuban smokes it would be a coin flip type of decision for me. 

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the Seoane and Especiale 1. They did require many years if aging for my taste. Not a problem for me as I have had significant inventory of cubans for over 20 years. I always thought that was the issue with the marca. Many just didnt have the patience or resources to do this. That being said I did pick up the Centrofinos at original release. I smoked one within 60 days and just smoked a second one over the weekend. Night and day difference. I can see the remaining 14 being very good sticks in 5 more years. I have not tried any of the other current production. 

Wow. I would have thought the rebrand happened in 2016 or 17, is it really true they switched the bands in 2012?

I've never smoked one with a new band and only a handful with the older bands. Because of this I didnt vote in the poll. 

When we dip down into this price/construction range, I've always reached for the JLP line. I dont smoke a lot of cigars in this range though, so there hasnt really been room for a 2nd marca in the rotation. 

If someone offered me one, I would accept it with a smile. But I definately wont be buying any at the current prices, I paid about the same per stick for Trini Coloniales a month ago.

they taste like grass and cardboard to me.

some weeks ago a buddy offered to change my opinion on them and gave me a ~20 year old one and it tasted like .. sweet tobacco ..?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Meklown said:

they taste like grass and cardboard to me.

some weeks ago a buddy offered to change my opinion on them and gave me a ~20 year old one and it tasted like .. sweet tobacco ..?

Yep. Need a ton of age. At least they did many years ago. Which Vitola did you try? I always preferred the Seoane. Also agree with Corylax on pricing for current production. 

I like all vitolas, except Mananitas, it is not convenient to hold and smoke because of the small format. The taste of Mananitas is simple and from the middle it requires delicate smoking due to overheating.
The most favorite, perhaps, is Tapados.
I like Vegueros in a smooth ruddy Colorado wrapper (I picked up a few photos).
If the wrapper is light and rough, you will get bitterness and grass. If you like bitter beer, then such cigars will not cause rejection.
If the cigar is qualitatively rolled and has the right wrapper, then the tasting is as follows:
“the taste is complex rounded, enveloping oily, herbaceous-woody-creamy-leathery-mineral with toasty notes. Strength is medium-high. Smokiness is medium, light smoke. The aroma is very strong, it smells like a bakery.”
These cigars for me are as strong as Partagas Serie E2 and with the same noble complex taste. Don't forget that tobacco is from Pinar del Rio. This tobacco is very resistant to aging, who smoked vintage Vegueros Especiales will understand what I'm talking about.

ce731e936fd10037997fe285f91a518f.jpg

ec6fd5649df08051c42427e507a526df.jpg

b996cd262ce5e5dbf2ec9164b2fc9c9c.jpg

• Thanks 3

Of the long filler Cuban brands Vegueros is my least favourite. My bottom 4 would be:

1. Vegueros

2. Cuaba

3. Sancho Panza

4. Fonseca

I have some boxes of Fonseca, I'd definitely try some more Cuaba and Sancho Panzo if the opportunity arose.

As for Vegueros, I think I have one left, I'll probably smoke that and maybe some others in the future, but I don't have high hopes.

To me the Vegueros flavours are kind of herbal, but also kind of mineral/chemical in an unpleasant way.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

Yep. Need a ton of age. At least they did many years ago. Which Vitola did you try? I always preferred the Seoane. Also agree with Corylax on pricing for current production. 

no idea tbh. it was like a minuto size .. which don't correspond with any of what prez listed above so i assume it may have gone out of production

30 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Of the long filler Cuban brands Vegueros is my least favourite. My bottom 4 would be:

1. Vegueros

2. Cuaba

3. Sancho Panza

4. Fonseca

I have some boxes of Fonseca, I'd definitely try some more Cuaba and Sancho Panzo if the opportunity arose.

As for Vegueros, I think I have one left, I'll probably smoke that and maybe some others in the future, but I don't have high hopes.

To me the Vegueros flavours are kind of herbal, but also kind of mineral/chemical in an unpleasant way.

I really like Fonseca No. 1's.  One of the best Lonsdales and really tastes unique.  One of my favorite go to's. 

Big fan of Cuaba's in general.  Normally just the Distinguido or Salomones.  Not a fan of Sancho Panza unless I can pick the box out myself.  Not a marca to buy blind.

Vegueros, I have only had the original vitola's and all were way too grassy tasting for me.  Like smoking a fresh cut lawn and I could not rid myself of the flavor after.  Very well rolled, FWIW.

• Like 3

I've heard that pre 2012 Vagueros were really good. They had a lancero, petit lancero and petit corona in the lineup. They were also packaged in cedar boxes. For some reason Habanos decided to give the brand a face lift around 2012. Have not had one but I've seen mixed reviews. 

Interesting discussion!  I've not had any Vegueros sticks and have been smoking Habanos since about 2005.  Given that I'm in the US and have easy access to a plethora of new world offerings, the question to wrestle is, can I find a NW offering at the same price point that smokes better?

52 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

I might get flamed for this, but I have a box of 2014 Tapados that tastes much like Cohiba Siglos. Probably a weird one off vintage but yea lol

I think its neat you can order these & receive 3-4 year-aged stock for cheap, but w/o lots of age they seem offensive.

Watching Reddit's mail call threads - it seems like folks are starting to receive newer codes for these and Quinteros.  Bunch of 21 coded Vegueros popped up last week and this.  Makes me wonder if those stocks are starting to dwindle as well, since folks are dipping in.

37 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

I might get flamed for this, but I have a box of 2014 Tapados that tastes much like Cohiba Siglos. Probably a weird one off vintage but yea lol

I think its neat you can order these & receive 3-4 year-aged stock for cheap, but w/o lots of age they seem offensive.

You're not the first person online I heard say that. Usually they say that Vegueros can have similar grassy/hay note to Siglos.    

I think if you can get them at a good price, they are perfectly decent mid-level cigars. Perfect for a quick afternoon smoke with a cheeky drink when you don't fancy burning anything too expensive. 

Downside is they can be very 'green' when young. A few years will go a long way with them.    

I bought a 16 pack of the Centrofinos a while back. Was introduced by a buddy and found them to be intriguing. Definitely getting those grassy/vegetal notes and maybe almost a hint of mint/freshness but not a whole lot else. For a cheap stick that i smoke while doing something else (golfing), plenty of cuban twang and enjoyed just fine. Would i sit there and think about all the notes and thirds? def not

• Like 2