Bolivar cigars used to have marijuana in them

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Yeah, I'm gonna need some sourcing for that claim. The only reference to it I could find is this article and the author doesn't cite a source:

https://cigarcigarinfo.com/the-bolivar-brand/

If it's on the internet. It has to be true.

Would be cool if it was true. Legally it would not be feasible because marijuana was subject to taxation in the US after 1937 in addition to different state laws that criminalized possession to varying degrees. At the very least, Bolivar would've had to pay additional taxes to import the cigars into the US and faced a difficult maze of state regulations. If they imported weed laced cigars into the US and kept it from common knowledge, they were taking a huge risk. I know they didn't sale only to the US. But I doubt they'd have been willing to give up the US Market share just for the dubious flavor value of some weed. 

For the record- If there were high end hand-rolled long filler cigars legally available with some marijuana added for "flavor". I'd have to at least give it a try...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TobaccoRoad said:

For the record- If there were high end hand-rolled long filler cigars legally available with some marijuana added for "flavor". I'd have to at least give it a try...

Or at least blunt rolled with Habanos wrapper. 

I am quite skeptical of the OP's question on whether Bolivar added marijuana to their blend.  Has the use of non-tobacco plants in Cuban cigars have precedence historically?

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, TobaccoRoad said:

would not be feasible because marijuana was subject to taxation in the US after 1937 in addition to different state laws that criminalized possession to varying degrees. At the very least, Bolivar would've had to pay additional taxes to import the cigars into the US and faced a difficult maze of state regulations. If they imported weed laced cigars into the US and kept it from common knowledge, they were taking a huge risk. I know they didn't sale only to the US. But I doubt they'd have been willing to give up the US Market share just for the dubious flavor value of some weed. 

All true but keep in mind the US wasn't really ever a big market for Havanas. Something like 90% of cigars using Cuban tobacco were clear Havanas made in the US. I doubt much Bolivar was ever imported to the US and if it was would have been brought in to higher-end boutique stores in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. 

Now, on the other hand, the UK was a major market for Havanas and cannabis had been outlawed there in 1928. That alone would cast serious doubt on the claim that marijuana was present in any Havana cigar in the 1950s. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Or at least blunt rolled with Habanos wrapper. 

I am quite skeptical of the OP's question on whether Bolivar added marijuana to their blend.  Has the use of non-tobacco plants in Cuban cigars have precedence historically?

agreed here. i'd need a reasonable amount of evidence for this. 

Yes, sorry all, that was not a very well worded post. I was in a rush and fluffed it. I was doing a short intro to Bolivar cigars that evening with some friends and want to find out more fast.

What I was trying to ask is did Bolivar really do this and does anyone have any more info on it.
Judging by the FOH BS alarm going off in the replies, it seems unlikely.
Thinking it through a bit more, it does seem highly unlikely. Weed does have a really distinctive and overpowering aroma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Be honest, the only thing they could add to Cuban cigars to make them better is cocaine. I’ll be blunt, no one in their right mind is going to put weed in the finance tobacco on the planet.

1 minute ago, cigaraholic said:

no one in their right mind is going to put weed in the finance tobacco

Agreed. Those finance guys would definitely choose cocaine over weed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

If you smoke a Bolivar and then eat a can of tuna fish with Skittles in it and you don't use utensils, then maybe it has weed. I personally do not believe that they did. Especially since you typically don't inhale cigars. Why would they waste weed? 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 3:49 PM, Hammer Smokin' said:

I wonder if our two AI members in this thread prefer their cigars with cuban tobacco or wacky tobacco. 

1 hour ago, ChadArmstrong said:

Quality is crucial when it comes to CBD products. I've found that doing thorough research on brands and reading customer reviews can help in finding the best ones.

I guess our three AI members 😉

• Haha 2