Covid Vaccine. Your plans?

Covid Vaccine  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Once the Covid Vaccine is available, when do you plan to receive it?

• Immediately once I’m selected.
    • Wait a month and let others who need it go first.
    • Wait 3 to 6 months and see the data.
    • Never, this rushed vaccine has too much potential detriment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2021 at 05:59 AM

5 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

It’s acceptable to walk away. Or if discussion is veering far from the original topic and becomes more than a simple asked and answered scenario, send PM’s to one another to continue the discussion if need be. It looks much cleaner for all involved. Just be prepared to agree to disagree and stay away from @Fuzz‘s Hammer. Let’s all enjoy Habanos and not a forum vacation. ?

Yea, one more vacation and I'll need a vacation from the vacation that I've been on since since this vacation started last March.

:unknown:

• Like 1

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cigar smokers talking about adverse health results of a vaccine ....  Only in 2020.  Can't wait for this dumpster fire of a year to be over. 

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.    

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is

4 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

Yea, one more vacation and I'll need a vacation from the vacation that I've been on since since this vacation started last March.

:unknown:

I’m talking ‘bout the ban hammer type of FOH vacation. Seems like when I (we) start a topic, there’s a 1 in 4 chance someone is getting a time out. ? 

I don’t think anyone got punted on the Cigar Koozies™️ post though. ?

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:05 AM, Ken Gargett said:

leaving aside govt ownership of one's mind, i am also in favour of as little govt interference as possible. however there are limits. we live in communities. should your right to do what you want be allowed to impact on others (serious question)? for example, talking of putting things into one's body, should you be allowed to pour as much alcohol into your own body and bugger the consequences to others. if for example, you then decide to get in a car? 

say someone refuses to have their child vaccinated but then wants to send them to school and thereby threaten harm to others?

we all have lines to draw and we don't all agree on just where those lines should be. 

with the virus, if you choose not to be vaccinated, should you then be allowed to do what you want and go where you want, notwithstanding the impact it might have on others? for what it is worth, i am not in favour of mandatory vaccination (though happy to get it as soon as available), but i am very much not in favour of those who do not get it then being allowed to do whatever they want. 

but my point was that a country should be able to make whatever laws it deems fit to protect its citizens. you don't like it (and it is your country), you can vote them out. but i don't get to vote in your elections, nor you in mine (unless we are both aussies). so if my govt decides that if you want to come here (just using this as a hypothetical), you must have the vaccination, then you need to comply with our laws. you have a choice. get it or don't come. but you do not have the right to say that i do not believe in vaccinations so i am coming without one. 

I understand your point of view. And the example with the car is very relevant. 

However, one thing I never understood is this: vaccine protects you against disease X. So where is the problem if I'm not vaccinated? Just get the vaccine so I cannot transmit you the X diseases or don't get the vaccine and maybe get that diseases. 

In the case of the car example you make a good point because you cannot really protect yourself from a car that hits you because of a drunken driver. Howeverz you can vaccinate yourself and not getting the disease X from a sick person. 

Therefore I don't see the need to make it mandatory. 

30 minutes ago, Lunettesman said:

I understand your point of view. And the example with the car is very relevant. 

However, one thing I never understood is this: vaccine protects you against disease X. So where is the problem if I'm not vaccinated? Just get the vaccine so I cannot transmit you the X diseases or don't get the vaccine and maybe get that diseases. 

In the case of the car example you make a good point because you cannot really protect yourself from a car that hits you because of a drunken driver. Howeverz you can vaccinate yourself and not getting the disease X from a sick person. 

Therefore I don't see the need to make it mandatory. 

Except that in this case currently the advice is for pregnant people not to get the vaccine and there may be issues around people with strong allergies. 

In the case of 'live' vaccines as another example, people undergoing cancer treatment may not be able to be vaccinated. 

There are likely other reasons why the person you could infect may not be able to have a vaccine, so there will be people out there who cannot protect themselves. 

And that's not taking into account how effective the vaccine is, the more people who are vaccinated the higher the overall protection to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

google will pull up the story. 

this isn't the "Australian version of the vaccine". 

it was an early trial version of a vaccine attempting to be "home grown". 

it failed. 

it was scrapped. 

But depending on the "new source", the 'apparently' can be misleading...and you know the copy/paste twitter researchers aren't big into details. Headings are much easier to read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Baccy said:

Apparently some of the test subjects who have gotten the Australian version of this thing are turning up HIV positive. They are saying it's just a "false positive"... God I sure hope so?

Fake BS News

Australian scientists created a vaccine that used a tiny protein fragment from HIV. They had to call it quits after recipients kept falsely showing up as HIV-positive in tests (Brisbane Times)

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/devastated-uq-scientists-tried-for-weeks-to-fix-problem-with-covid-19-vaccine-20201211-p56mqi.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/world/australia/uq-coronavirus-vaccine-false-positive.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nino said:

Fake BS News

Australian scientists created a vaccine that used a tiny protein fragment from HIV. They had to call it quits after recipients kept falsely showing up as HIV-positive in tests (Brisbane Times)

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/devastated-uq-scientists-tried-for-weeks-to-fix-problem-with-covid-19-vaccine-20201211-p56mqi.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/world/australia/uq-coronavirus-vaccine-false-positive.html

That's EXACTLY what I said! rofl...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Baccy said:

That's EXACTLY what I said! rofl...

Laughing here too, as I have no idea what you said, but you wrote :

"turning up HIV positive" ....

The University of Qld vaccine didn't fail. It showed great promise in being a working vaccine to protect against Covid-19. What it did do was create Covid antibodies that would interfere with HIV diagnostic tests. The vaccine included a protein fragment from the human immunodeficiency virus (they found it was the best protein available for their molecule clamp technology), which allows the vaccine to bond with the spike protein of Covid-19, thereby stopping the virus. Unfortunately, this caused the test subjects to weakly test positive on certain HIV test (it was barely on the cusp of positive). This was deemed unacceptable, so the vaccine was abandoned. The researchers all knew this false positive may happen, and so did all the test subjects. Nobody contracted HIV, and there was no chance of it occurring from the vaccine.

Whilst it is not the result Australians wanted, it is a success from an ethics point of view. And the research data gained is invaluable for future vaccines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Almost two hours since the shots. No burning or stinging at the injection site. We have no initial adverse effects.

? ?.....Four page information sheet. Three website signups. Two page questionnaire  & a card for documentation...?

So, it’s a Cuban cigar site......then......why not some cigars:

BAF959DC-FB27-4891-A1B4-4E200B878512.jpeg.2b39a06a1733373f63744ba09748beb3.jpeg

Thanks for the update and best wishes - makes me feel good and looking forward to have the jab sometime next 3 months !

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Almost two hours since the shots. No burning or stinging at the injection site. We have no initial adverse effects.

? ?.....Four page information sheet. Three website signups. Two page questionnaire  & a card for documentation...?

So, it’s a Cuban cigar site......then......why not some cigars:

BAF959DC-FB27-4891-A1B4-4E200B878512.jpeg.2b39a06a1733373f63744ba09748beb3.jpeg

D0DC0D2F-780E-48D7-BEC2-D607BEB8ADF7.jpeg.9438263c2bdf7b338c3157fbde1bed77.jpeg

86865558-688C-4ECC-8A51-9DBF21A27B0B.jpeg.be2b212f098736a1b653dc8e33a20b3a.jpeg

The Alex Double Lanceros smelling so good out of the ziploc..... Have to work the next 7; where is the time!

Thank you for this!

• Thanks 1

That Alex lanceros looks incredible. Lucky in Australia, we have reduced numbers of cases and wont get the vaccine until March. Mostly for nurses, doctors, aged care and those over 70 at first. It will give us a chance to select the best vaccine I guess. Was just wondering. I think I've had covid in January when visiting Texas and Mexico city. Mrs was very ill and couldn't breathe well. I started coming down with it and felt same symptoms. Doctor thought it was flu and gave us Tamiflu which we thought worked well. But it didn't feel like flu. How do you know if you've had it and will you need a vaccine to travel when we open up again if you've had it? Probably different regulations country to country.

19 minutes ago, GotaCohiba said:

Definitely not getting this vaccine

The fact that they are considering paying people to take is enough reason not to take it for me

Best of wished to all those that take it

I had not read that. 

what country? (I'm going to assume USA?)

Any links (I did google, but all I found was discussion in the summertime, but nothing more formal or recent than that)

Thanks,

2 minutes ago, Bill Hayes said:

That Alex lanceros looks incredible. Lucky in Australia, we have reduced numbers of cases and wont get the vaccine until March. Mostly for nurses, doctors, aged care and those over 70 at first. It will give us a chance to select the best vaccine I guess. Was just wondering. I think I've had covid in January when visiting Texas and Mexico city. Mrs was very ill and couldn't breathe well. I started coming down with it and felt same symptoms. Doctor thought it was flu and gave us Tamiflu which we thought worked well. But it didn't feel like flu. How do you know if you've had it and will you need a vaccine to travel when we open up again if you've had it? Probably different regulations country to country.

Any travel restrictions in regards to the unvaccinated remains to be seen.  If you think you’ve had it, you can get the antibody test done.  I did, it was quite easy, schedule it with you’re nearest lab doing them, quick poke in the arm to draw a bit of blood, took 7 min from my arrival to me leaving.  Depending on where you live you may need your doctor to order it for you but that be pretty simple as long as you have had symptoms at some point.  Just Google antibody tests in your area.  The rapid antibody tests have some margin of error, so I’d recommend you go to a lab that can do the Roche or Abbott tests properly, error rate on those is under 1%.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I had not read that. 

what country? (I'm going to assume USA?)

Any links (I did google, but all I found was discussion in the summertime, but nothing more formal or recent than that)

Thanks,

US.    It’s been float around on local news channels about paying people up to $1500 to take the vaccine