Covid Vaccine. Your plans?

Covid Vaccine  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Once the Covid Vaccine is available, when do you plan to receive it?

• Immediately once I’m selected.
    • Wait a month and let others who need it go first.
    • Wait 3 to 6 months and see the data.
    • Never, this rushed vaccine has too much potential detriment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2021 at 05:59 AM

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cigar smokers talking about adverse health results of a vaccine ....  Only in 2020.  Can't wait for this dumpster fire of a year to be over. 

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.    

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is

Well I don't think shouting down or persecuting unpopular opinions is new. What's new and potentially uniquely frustrating is persecuting dissent in the name of tolerance :)

As to striping rights and acting in one's best interests. Almost everyone has some limit.

Criminals are acting in their best interests while directly and/or indirectly harming others. Most people don't object to striping them of rights.

It's then just a political discussion as to where to draw the line. Best to err on the side of freedom, but most people have some preferred line in the sand which is often different for different issues.

And again ideally direct and indirect harm to others (not oneself) would be the basis for it, but indirect harm can be quite nebulous.

• Like 2

guys, the posts comparing this to guns have been hidden (rob will decide if he wants to unhide) for obvious reasons. lord spare me. i would much rather have launched into a debate which may have seen me on a different side but we would be right down the usual gun thread. and ray, you have even identified breaking the rule before there was any hiding. 

please find another example. not that difficult for a person of your intelligence, i have no doubt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReturnFreeRisk said:

I won’t be first in line to roll the dice against this list

https://www.fda.gov/media/143557/download

f0603aa4f449e9add449aa36f3f8d160.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds just about as bad as getting the virus....maybe worse!

Always question the source and intent though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Public faith in government would have to be at an all time low, so trusting them on a vaccine at this point just seems hard given the emergency approval. Just seems rushed.

Still, if it gives people an incentive to fly again I’m all for it. I’m personally gonna wait til it’s well and truly been ironed out. 

“You never want the A model of anything”. 

Reminds me of a friend that was in the Russian effort to convert urine to drinking water. 

Alpha testers stated it was a liquid but still tasted a bit like piss....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most of the closest people to me are at high risk if they get the virus.  Even if they're vaccinated, a 5% chance of it not working is too high for me to not get it as well.  I also don't expect to be able to travel, watch live sports, or see a concert. until I take the vaccine, so it makes sense to get it over with.

• Like 3

I’m not allowed to travel to Africa without several shots today.  Don’t see the difference, I don’t see any protests over that.  If people don’t want it, don’t get it, there just could be consequences to that choice. 

This is where the construct of a society lives, and unfortunately society is never smart enough to make the right decisions on their own, which is why we have laws.  You can be arrested for robbery, assaulting another, are you being stripped of your rights by not being allowed to do that?  Of course not.  While in this case jail time is not what you’ll face, Society may determine you forfeit some of your privileges should you choose to not get it.  Remains to be seen, but if it happens honestly I won’t be surprised.  

People often times mistake “privileges” for “rights” in this country and many others.  You always have your rights in the USA (see first 10 amendments of the constitution for that list) and if anyone or any institution takes them from you then you are entitled to due process.  On the hand, you only have your privileges (examples:  owning a drivers license, ability to fly on a plane, enter a commercial place of business) as long as you play ball with society’s rules.  No shoes, no shirt, no service!!!  In 6 months time we’ll see how it plays out.    

• Like 3

I would say that comparing a drug that has been in the wild since 1969 to hastily conceived 'vaccine' is a false equivalence, at best.
Anyone claiming that vaccines are perfectly fine and safe are either entirely ignorant or outright lying.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/victims-of-swine-flu-jab-to-get-pound60m-payout-02ptvlnlzqk
https://www.gov.uk/vaccine-damage-payment
These firms have never been trustworthy at any stage.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/pfizer-fined-23-billion-illegal-marketing-off-label/story?id=8477617
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_pharmaceutical_settlements
Educate yourselves, there are clearly massive conflicts of interest throughout this entire 'pandemic' response.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/
Was all that was ever needed ^^
Follow the money.

I was wondering when the Hydroxychloroquine misinformation crap would appear.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is essentially a prevention tool - what makes them so powerful is that they last months to years, and (unlike the dreaded mask) are a passive prevention measure (i.e. you don't have to wear, consume, apply, activate, or insert anything into/onto anything once you get it). And vaccines usually have no long term side effects; when they do it's usually in a very small number of cases. But there is always risk, especially with a new treatment, and nobody wants to be a member of that 1%***

(As for hydroxychloroquine, it's not viable for two reasons: 1) it has its own side-effects, and there's conflicting evidence about it having any benefits; and 2) more importantly, it's been superseded by treatments that are clearly more effective and even safer, like dexamethasone. The hydroxy debate is now entirely political, not medical). 

Again, that's true. I just haven't heard anyone actually say that - at least not anyone worth listening to when it comes to public health (which doesn't include the moronic pundits on any cable news channel).

And it's important to note: we would not be moving forward with a COVID vaccine that was only 40% effective, because the risks would outweigh the benefits of the vaccine, even though many would probably take that risk. But through Providence and modern science we have vaccines that are 95% effective. That means herd immunity - and an end to the pandemic - can be achieved if at least 3 out of every 4 people in a given area are immunized. That's huge. We know that will save tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of lives. But the crisis will persist if not enough people are willing to get vaccinated. They all have to be adults too, since the vaccine hasn't been studied in kids yet.

Many of my ancestors were called on to fight in wars, which is more dangerous than COVID itself let alone any vaccine. Fortunately, I live in a time and place where such a sacrifice is no longer demanded. All I need to do to help win this war is follow the suggestions of doctors and epidemiologists: wear a mask and, barring new information, get vaccinated. 

***DISCLAIMER: The 1% number is not a reference to actual odds related in any way to medicine or COVID. Just a little levity! Carry on and smoke well!

good post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, potpest said:

If enough people are vaccinated the virus can't come back from other non vaccinated countries, that's literally how vaccines work.

Course it can, just not in pandemic levels

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Many of my ancestors were called on to fight in wars, which is more dangerous than COVID itself let alone any vaccine. Fortunately, I live in a time and place where such a sacrifice is no longer demanded. All I need to do to help win this war is follow the suggestions of doctors and epidemiologists: wear a mask and, barring new information, get vaccinated. 

Very well said here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

when i went travelling back in the 80s, we needed a fist full of certificates for all manner of diseases etc, for crossing into many countries. i had shots, tablets etc, for about 9 different diseases from memory. yellow fever, meningitis, typhoid, polio (i needed a day off work after that sip of pink syrup), rabies and so on and on. without all that, i simply would not have been allowed into many of the countries i wanted to visit. this is no difference and hardly any great imposition on anyone's rights. not much point in whinging. 

i suspect many countries will require it, as is their right, but that once this fades as a major issue (assuming it does), so will the requirement. 

Tell me, Ken - when I started flying early 70*s it was the complete "yellow book" plus shots, vaccines, some more shots and many more vaccines plus pills like Resochin to combat Malaria prevalent then in all of Africa and most of South America - tried Resochin once for a Lagos flight, had severe stomach pain, dropped it and decided Malaria could not be worse ( and the cure for Malaria was to swallow more Resochin).
Flying to South America on a regular monthly basis I'd have had to eat Resochin all my flying days...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nino said:

Tell me, Ken - when I started flying early 70*s it was the complete "yellow book" plus shots, vaccines, some more shots and many more vaccines plus pills like Resochin to combat Malaria prevalent then in all of Africa and most of South America - tried Resochin once for a Lagos flight, had severe stomach pain, dropped it and decided Malaria could not be worse ( and the cure for Malaria was to swallow more Resochin).
Flying to South America on a regular monthly basis I'd have had to eat Resochin all my flying days...

that was Nino. the yellow book. as important as your passport. all sorts of shots and stuff. we had five of the group on our truck, out of 20, get malaria. not sure much could be worse. fortunately, i was not one. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

that was Nino. the yellow book. as important as your passport. all sorts of shots and stuff. we had five of the group on our truck, out of 20, get malaria. not sure much could be worse. fortunately, i was not one. 

Still have my last 2 yellow books just in case .... ?

20201213_111342.thumb.jpg.7ba1ad5bb461068e0a86cf75a10ab2ba.jpg

• Thanks 1

Course it can, just not in pandemic levels
So what do you mean by "the virus will come back" if we get to a high vaccination level you could end up with between 0-500 cases per year which doesn't spread in the population.

I maybe arguing semantics here but as far as I'm concerned that is it eradicated. i.e. no more outbreaks.

No outbreaks of polio in the UK since the 70's because the vaccination rate is high and remains high.
The only outbreaks of polio in Europe have been in countries where vaccination levels are low.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Brilliant minds are spreading their knowledge, for free, at the click of a button.

For each brilliant mind there’s ten dimwits popping up like mushrooms. (holding in particular for Twitter) ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, potpest said:

between 0-500 cases per year which doesn't spread in the population.

That's exactly what I meant, in case I was misunderstood. That's what I mean when I say "not in pandemic levels". Thanks for helping to clarify ?

It's still present, it will still come back, just not beyond a level that regular medical services cannot cope with. 

• Like 1