Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

Our criteria in NSW for testing is not just based on symptoms. They will ask the following questions:

1. Have you recently come from overseas?
  2. Have you been on a cruise ship recently?
  3. Have you been in contact with somebody who has recently come from overseas or on a cruise ship?
  4. Have you come into contact with somebody who has been diagnosed with Covid-19? (they will want that person's name)
  5. Are you a healthcare worker or work in aged care?

If you answer no to these questions, you won't be tested. They will tell you to go home and self-isolate, and if your symptoms get worse, to call an ambulance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

That criteria seems to be outdated by a month. You need to keep an hourly check on your temps and how you feel. A lot of C19 senarios are just like yours. You seem to be getting better then take a turn for the worst. I would try to get tested again if you could. Be safe..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 4/3/2020 at 9:14 PM, nino said:

FYI : Germany has taken in more than 150 ICU Covid-19 patients from Italy, France and the Netherlands into German hospitals with free ICU capacity so far.
Flying military A-310 Medevac planes to Italy to pick them up.
And Spain has received a C-130 Hercules plane load full of respirators from Germany.

I agree - the world is well packed with idiots ...

When Italy started having problems end of February-early March, where was Germany and Europe?  they said, it's your problem. Old population, not able to manage the crisis etc 

No help at that time.

Everyone proved wrong.

And even today  where all of us are in trouble, European leaders  are not acting as they should. Just look at their own garden.

It will be interesting to know for this gesture of clemency, of great humanity, received by German politicians what the price to pay. 

• Like 2

Yesterday a close family friend passed.  ~70 yrs old.  He had a respiratory infection for a week that killed him.  Tested for COVID-19, and it came back negative.  They tested him again last Saturday but still waiting results.  I'm guessing the first one was a a false negative - how many people die from mysterious respiratory infections that take them out in a week? 

Rather than gain trust in the numbers over time, I lose it.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Japan said:

When Italy started having problems end of February-early March, where was Germany and Europe?  they said, it's your problem. Old population, not able to manage the crisis etc 

No help at that time.

Everyone proved wrong.

And even today  where all of us are in trouble, European leaders  are not acting as they should. Just look at their own garden.

It will be interesting to know for this gesture of clemency, of great humanity, received by German politicians what the price to pay. 

Once again - well packed with idiots.

Game over.

22 hours ago, nino said:
Once again - well packed with idiots.

Game over. 

OMG!

What an "intelligentsia" showdown.

History has taught nothing about past mistakes.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk - Game over. - Mr.Japan  copyright -  ;-) -

Edited by Mr. Japan

11 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

Yesterday a close family friend passed.  ~70 yrs old.  He had a respiratory infection for a week that killed him.  Tested for COVID-19, and it came back negative.  They tested him again last Saturday but still waiting results.  I'm guessing the first one was a a false negative - how many people die from mysterious respiratory infections that take them out in a week? 

Rather than gain trust in the numbers over time, I lose it.  

very sorry to hear that. 

so much chaos and so many unknowns. still does not make it any easier if you lose someone. 

On 4/6/2020 at 2:55 AM, ayepatz said:

You need dark glasses. I can still tell it’s you, unfortunately. ?

The more he covers up the better he looks ?

I work in construction, which has been deemed an essential business during the stay at home orders. We have had numerous existing jobs shut down at the order of the owner, and new work that was supposed to start up, get pushed back into next year. I was laid off earlier today. It seems all the big companies have a hiring freeze in place until the economy starts going back the other way, so I'm really going to be in a bad place for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

Army field hospital for Covid-19 surge leaves Seattle after 9 days. It never saw a patient

Great news, the first surge in Covid patients appears to have been effectively contained in Seattle.

Three cheers for an effective governmental response in the US! The model of how to control the arc of disease in the population has been effectively laid out in several places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Army field hospital for Covid-19 surge leaves Seattle after 9 days. It never saw a patient

Great news, the first surge in Covid patients appears to have been effectively contained in Seattle.

Three cheers for an effective governmental response in the US! The model of how to control the arc of disease in the population has been effectively laid out in several places.

Gotta love that Seattle Freeze. If only the extremely antisocial nature of your standard Northwesterner could be duplicated in other localities. Uff da!

South Dakota, one of the least populated states in the U.S., Just shot up the list on breakouts today. Started out as 80 at a meat packing plant and then they tested more employees and it hit 190 in that one company so far. I expect well see more.  https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2020/04/10/south-dakota-coronavirus-numbers-governor-kristi-noem/5130027002/?fbclid=IwAR34yR1TQ7iYCaMEcJMzRFutkumWXCakSm4k8F8LFkmkLWK0KjKMDLuev5k

On 3/28/2020 at 10:36 PM, TheGipper said:

In Europe, excess deaths over the seasonally-adjusted baseline are tracked by an organization called EuroMOMO (European Mortality Monitoring Project).

I would commend to you to watch their reporting at https://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

Technology is giving us the tools to identify and respond to these kind of events with an accuracy and timeliness that people in 1918 could only have dreamed of.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Seasonally adjusted, death rate in NYC was at least double for March. 

"The recent numbers are most likely an undercount. Even in normal times, death certificates take time to be processed and collected, and complete death tallies can take weeks to become final. This is especially true for cases involving coronavirus. “Covid deaths all have to be manually coded,” said Bob Anderson, chief of the mortality statistics branch at the C.D.C.’s National Center for Health Statistics, adding that death counts from New York City typically lag actual deaths by 10 or 11 days.

But even if the current count is perfect, roughly 9,780 people have died of all causes over the past month in New York City, about 5,000 more than is typical."

EVVBmpAXgAAi8Oi.jpeg

This is from a phlebotomist in Chicago. She puts a great perspective on this bug.  I am going to try and get tested once more tests for antibodies are available

My daughter the ER nurse says that people are coming in with many different symptom that are not on the list of symptoms to get tested. Many no fever, so e with abdominal pain, some with new onset arrhythmias. Good car buddy of mine reached out from the St Louis area to let me know he is getting over the CV. He told me he was very cautious in his day to day but one day he walked in the house and his teeth started chattering uncontrollably and then full uncontrollable body shivers. He told me he fully expected to die but didnt want to die in a cocoon at a hospital so he stayed home. I didnt ask what treatment he received if any. He has lung damage now but is glad to be alive. This is a nasty bug for sure. 

https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/530092711-roseland-hospital-phlebotomist-30-of-those-tested-have-coronavirus-antibody

I hope that those who live through the virus build up immunity and not recontract it.

Pretty scary proposition if not.....

2 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

I hope that those who live through the virus build up immunity and not recontract it.

Mike, that has been something i've been keen to learn.

from fauci and others, it seems that the prevailing thought is that if you have had it, you are likely (not guaranteed but it is usual with most of these viruses) to build up some sort of immunity and/or antibodies. but they have no way of knowing, without testing and experience, whether that will last a few weeks or a year. 

like everything else, so much we do not know. 

Coworker at the hospital with progressive body aches, chills the past three days and then diarrhea today tested positive.

Getting extra pissed about the “open back up the economy” Aholes pleading to kill more of us. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/1269746/EU-coronavirus-news-Ursula-von-der-Leyen-apology-Italy-European-Parliament-update/amp

Never too late my friend.

We are all European ? I hope so.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Both my parents had it but were not hospitalized.  Counting my lucky stars since they are both ok now.  Doctors told them they "should" be immune to it for at least the next month, but to also be worried about a resurgence in September.

9 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Mike, that has been something i've been keen to learn.

from fauci and others, it seems that the prevailing thought is that if you have had it, you are likely (not guaranteed but it is usual with most of these viruses) to build up some sort of immunity and/or antibodies. but they have no way of knowing, without testing and experience, whether that will last a few weeks or a year. 

like everything else, so much we do not know. 

1 hour ago, captaincaveman said:

Both my parents had it but were not hospitalized.  Counting my lucky stars since they are both ok now.  Doctors told them they "should" be immune to it for at least the next month, but to also be worried about a resurgence in September.

South Korea is reporting a 6% re-infection rate, but they are not sure if it is actual re-infection or if the virus never left the body, and this is actually a re-activation of the existing virus.  We are having individual reports of that here in the United States.  People getting over the disease a month ago, and getting sick and again coming back positive for the virus.  Scary stuff.  We don’t really know.  Fauci says you wont get it again for at least a month, but he is not taking about re-activation.

• Sad 4

Not to go all conspiracy theory but if  this virus was developed in the lab in Wuhan , and is as such, a virus developed to be a form of  weaponized biological agent and not a naturally occurring pathogen ,  it may explain its unusually potent and contagious nature . 

https://nationalpost.com/news/its-possible-a-wuhan-disease-lab-is-the-focus-of-suspicion-and-conspiracy-theories-about-covid-19s-origins

Formerly being an accredited NSF 49 Biological Safety Cabinet Certifier  (https://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/pharma-biotech/biosafety-cabinetry/biosafety-cabinet-field-certifier-accreditation) and having worked in BSL level 3 containment labs , I suggest It being near impossible for an accidental release of a pathogen from such a facility .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helix said:

Not to go all conspiracy theory... 

Immediately proceeds to go conspiracy theory ?

There's a reason why this exact scenario, coronavirus focused, was the subject of a global pandemic tabletop exercise last year.

Coronaviruses have been spread exactly this way twice in the past, MERS and SARS. It just happens that this particular strain is different than previous outbreaks in that it has a long incubation period and asymptomatic spreaders. 

• Like 1