Are people your responsibility?

My girlfriend said something that had me thinking enough to get your opinion. We have a little July 4th party. I was debating bringing a pipe, over cigars as perhaps not everyone is a fan of the smoke, and the pipe would smell a bit more pleasant. 

My girlfriend suggested cigars, as they are much easier to smoke all around. She goes on to mention, “don’t forget to bring some in case other people want to smoke”. 

Now the last time I did that, I had people smoke a quarter stick and put them out. I don’t have any dummy/pass out cigars. Why should it be my responsibility to supply other people with cigars?  Cigarette smokers don’t bring an extra pack in case others want to smoke. 

Just feeling a bit jaded after the last party we attended. 

Guest Nekhyludov

I always keep some decent but inexpensive small (petit corona, petit robusto) cigars on hand to pass around for these kinds of occasions. I do that in the hope that others may want to join me. I would much prefer that than they sit around fake-coughing, complaining about the smoke and glaring at me. Small price to pay to have company, I say.

As for what they do with the cigars, I've said it before and I'll say it again, once I give a cigar away, it's absolutely none of my business what anyone does with it - smoke it, stub it, toss it, eat it. I don't care. It isn't mine anymore. 

Hey fellow Oregonian! Corvallis-based myself. 

Mixed feelings on your situation. If I invite people over, and one of the activities I'd like to enjoy is smoking a cigar, then I'll mention it to the friends and depending on the size or closeness of the group, I'll either phrase it as "if cigars are your thing, I can have a few available if you want to try". Now I do have PLENTY of give-away level smokes, so that's never a problem. If it's a group that I either know has some experience, or can appreciate a nice cigar, I might suggest they chip in a few bucks and I'll break out the nice stuff. It kind of all depends on how close you are with the group. 

That's my take at least. 

I do want to say that I don’t wanna come off as a stingy guy. I enjoy good company and don’t mind giving out in herds etc. but I suppose that last party left a sour taste with general parties. 

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I had people smoke a quarter stick and put them out

The problem is, is that turning someone on to the wonderful world of cigars is a wonderful thing.    Yet is has a 99% failure rate, as most just want to take a selfie then throw them in the ashtray.   I never! give cigars to people who are currently 20-40 a day cigarette smokers, As I've been a cigarette smoker, and smoking a cigar is frustrating to them.  The addicted part of their brain is screaming at them "what are you doing?, this cigar is useless, I want cigarettes".   I'm much more inclined to give non smokers cigars, and have much more success with them.    They have no addiction, and no preconceptions. 

If I give people cigars I give them PLMC.   They are epic flavour out the gate, nice cool smoke, never too strong.   If they want a double banded dollar gobbler, I will say ok, but you either nub it of give me £50.........simples

• Like 2

A 5 pack tin of huhc is always in my pocket at weddings or big events.  That way if someone wants to join me it's worth the "loss" to just offer it and if they only smoke half I'm not cryin.  Also helps that it's one of my favorite sticks and I dont feel like I'm settling

Typically I'll bring a 15 cigar hard case with some variety.  Some fancy big ones, some reg production staples and some cheapie peepies.  I almost always come back home with a lot but I avoid the "do I offer them an 80th anniversario or hide from them". 

I try to give them a choice so I'm not grading what they will enjoy based on the quality of their teeth or some other judgemental trait but typically most people dont want to impose and a grateful.  My biggest fear is somehow handing out a dud and staring at them going "isnt it the best?" So I try to let them know if you dont like it toss and let me know, it happens.  Easier to do that when it never happens I suppose.

Keep faith in humanity.  Sorry you had a bad recent experience with selfish ingrates.

Bring some extras, just don’t make a big deal about it when you light up. If people ask, oblige. What you don’t give out, take back home. Usually non smokers won’t ask. If there are other smokers there, they’ll probably bring their own. Either way, a few cigars aren’t worth stressing over. 

• Like 1

I enjoy sharing the hobby with others.  In a social situation like a party/gathering, I bring extra NC's that don't break the bank but that I know are good.  As an example, I recently scored a killer deal on Herrera Esteli Norteno Belicoso at less than 3 bucks a piece.  Great cigar, but I paid less than what a decent beer would cost to entertain a prospective cigar smoker and I don't feel bad about the quality of the cigar either. 

If I know of experienced smokers, I bring them one stick of a higher quality that fits their profile.

Also, my better half tends to not glare at me as much while enjoying a cigar with friends and family as opposed to when I'm alone as our kids tend to ramp up their antics when I light up!

Happy 4th!

• Like 1

Also remember that a casual or first time cigar smoker will be put off by the strength of even the mildest Cuban.  At large gatherings I tend to bring with me a box of non-Cuban cheapos that I'll never smoke (Macanudos and the like) but might hit the spot for a first timer.

If they want to take a churchill sized Montesino and only smoke one inch of it, I don't care at all.

And no one ever thinks to ask, "hey you're smoking a different cigar than I am".  They won't notice or care.

Bring some extras, just don’t make a big deal about it when you light up. If people ask, oblige. What you don’t give out, take back home. Usually non smokers won’t ask. If there are other smokers there, they’ll probably bring their own. Either way, a few cigars aren’t worth stressing over. 

Sound advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t people have better things to smoke in Oregon while watching fireworks ?

Having a couple of extra PC’s in your pocket shouldn’t kill you if you’d rather have a cigar, if your worried about a repeat take your pipe. 

I hold a box of Super Partagas for this reason.  Cheap enough to give away and not cry.  Tasty to the point I like smoking them.  And the brand is recognized enough that people will never say you brought cheap/bad cigars (not that anyone should complain about free cigars, but you know, people be people).

I haven't run out of my ancient surplus of RnJ Petit Coronas that I have just for my drunk buddies who I don't want feeling left out when we light up, but that's when people are at my house. If I go to someone else's house, no obligation whatsoever to supply smokes to anyone. Maybe the host, maybe a good buddy that I know smokes properly and will be there. my go to party smoke is Upmann Half Coronas and I'll usually light up, and of course a few people will say "ooh a cigar eh?" in that quizzical, sarcastic tone but I'm doing me, and thats that. 

IMO only one you should take a cigar/s for are the ones hosting the party.   My two hand outs i keep are NC Padron londres and AF chateau fuente. mainly because i do enjoy both and they are great sticks with universal appeal.  

While I like to give away my cigars in Hope's that someone likes it. No I wouldn't bring a bunch to a random party. I like to.share with certain people, not random drunks that dont understand cigars and will waste them..I bring a couple in case someone knows what they are talking about and would like to try a CC. But, party goers? Nah.

I always like to share cigars, but who I am sharing with will determine what I take out. I keep a ready stock of regular production Party Shorts and MC4 for the newbies. These are go to smoking for me, so I don't feel like I am short changing the new smokers, and these two are cigars that usually go down well. Anything more special is only brought out for those I know are into CC's in the first place. As far as FOH friends are concerned, they are all so generous great guys, that I often find it hard to get in with something before someone else does!

Still recall @jay8354 27th birthday party. Whilst he picked up 2 Cohiba Double Coronas for he and I to smoke, he also picked up a box of CoRo to share at the party. The horror of seeing barely smoked CoRos laying around was profound. Felt so bad for Jase, after we smoked the DC.... I nubbed 3 CoRos. B)

• Haha 1

I love handing out and giving away cigars, especially to those that appreciate them. I hate being the only guy smoking, much more fun to do it in a group. One of the things I love about my other half being Dominican (other than whenever I turn on the car the radio is blasting latin music) is her side of the family all loves cigars...even her 90 year old grandmother. I gave her a Cohiba Lancero one time and realized later she cut it in 3 pieces. When we go to gatherings there I usually pack some of my better smokes actually. One of my favorite parts of the hobby. 

• Like 1

I'll give away a few cigars here and there but I do not like to see cigars that I have loved and cared for wasted.  I'll bring a few Partagas Shorts to a gathering where I know there are people who think they want a cigar and a couple of what I'm smoking for friends who know they want a good cigar.  Get a kick out of seeing the face of a friend who just has never before  had a good Cuban cigar.   I've seen too many half smoked and wasted fine cigars at gatherings so I don't hand out aged beauties willy nilly. 

I don't mind sharing cigars with friends, even acquaintances, the more the merrier and better for keeping the whiners away. But I get a bit annoyed when total strangers I've never even met ask me for cigars. I have multiple NCs on hand that purpose. 

I love giving away cigars - graded to the audience. 

I'll give away my top shelf stuff to those who I've smoked with previously, and good cheap and cheerfuls to the uninitiated. 

I top out suppling for more than 7-8 people though. 

In my humble opinion, it is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. 

• Like 2

If it bugs you what happens to the sticks after you give them to someone, then don’t do it. I’ve turned a couple of people in my circle of friends on to the hobby with gifted sticks, so I think it was worth it. I certainly only hand out premium/aged/HTF sticks to people that I know will appreciate and respect them but the rest can still have a Monte 4 or something decent on my dime. It might get them interested in the hobby. The chance is certainly higher than when I give them some dog rocket.

If you’re gonna light up in a crowd, it only seems right to invite others to join you.

I always take a 10ct herfador with me. I used to pack a bunch of different good stuff to try to cater to whatever someone might want. I thought starting guys with quality sticks was the way to go.

After a lot of trial and error, I now bring two good sticks, and 8 Jose L Piedras. I smoke one of the regular, I have one other in case there happens to be someone else there who appreciates good cigars, and the Jose L Piedras get handed out like candy.

The JLP, believe it or not, been the most verbally appreciated sticks out of everything I’ve given out over the years. I think it’s because they’re pretty mild and approachable, so even new guys take to them pretty well. And, everyone likes knowing they’re smoking a Habano.