Are people your responsibility?

If it’s MY party, then I do feel obliged to share pretty broadly with guests (no different than drinks). However if I’m not the host then I take a handful of sticks with me to share but when they’re gone, they’re gone.

I enjoy sharing my CCs with others, but unless I know I’m going to be with folks that really appreciate it, I bring a selection of good sticks that I would be ok seeing tossed after a few puffs.

Happens all the time for me on work trips - I love to get a smoke in when I travel and that usually involves offering it up to coworkers or customers who aren’t frequent cigar smokers. So I usually travel with 3-5 ‘everyday’ sticks - always something I’d be happy to smoke but I leave the pricey/rare ones at home for special occasions. I firmly believe in not offering something to a guest that I wouldn’t happily enjoy myself.

When hosting a party or get-together it is easy to control cigar distribution from NCs to entry level CCs to premium CCs because I have the majority of my stash at home. When I travel or attend a party where I think cigar smoking might be allowed / encouraged I will bring my 10 count cigar caddy with decent CCs but nothing bigger than a robusto. I will also bring my leather 3 stick carrier with some goodies just for me!

I’ll generally hand out anything in my 10 count to anyone who wishes to smoke. Now if someone bricks a stick then that person is forever crossed off the list for the future but no big deal.

I'm more then happy to share with friends, and even try to motivate a few of them to try if they're willing. That being said, when it's a big party with a lot of casual acquaintances I just bring some HUHC or some Quintero Favoritos. No great loss, on either part. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, Fuzz said:

Still recall @jay8354 27th birthday party. Whilst he picked up 2 Cohiba Double Coronas for he and I to smoke, he also picked up a box of CoRo to share at the party. The horror of seeing barely smoked CoRos laying around was profound. Felt so bad for Jase, after we smoked the DC.... I nubbed 3 CoRos. B)

That was a very expensive but valuable learning experience for me. 

Never ever share the good stuff with people who not close enough to you. 

Spares to give to existing cigar smokers? Yes. There's usually  a chance someone I know hasn't tried something I have on hand. Cigar noobs?  Maybe a Panatela if they really want to try it. Anything else would be a pity to lose. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:36 AM, Isaac said:

My girlfriend said something that had me thinking enough to get your opinion. We have a little July 4th party. I was debating bringing a pipe, over cigars as perhaps not everyone is a fan of the smoke, and the pipe would smell a bit more pleasant. 

My girlfriend suggested cigars, as they are much easier to smoke all around. She goes on to mention, “don’t forget to bring some in case other people want to smoke”. 

Now the last time I did that, I had people smoke a quarter stick and put them out. I don’t have any dummy/pass out cigars. Why should it be my responsibility to supply other people with cigars?  Cigarette smokers don’t bring an extra pack in case others want to smoke. 

Just feeling a bit jaded after the last party we attended. 

Yeah I get it! ? maybe bring 1 extra especially if you don’t have any inexpensive throw around sticks. Somebody asks you for one, here ya go. I have no more with me! Just had these two in the car. Especially if they are not cigar smokers. If they are cigar smokers I might bring 3. ??