WINNER ANNOUNCED!! Char Czar : Recipe Weekend.

Char Czar : Recipe Weekend. 

Post up your favourite "cigar food" recipe.  Make sure it has a pic. 

Andy Ryan....I want to see those egg rolls in here :D

They have to be tasty, they have to be relatively easy. 

Each recipe goes into the draw for a box of petit Coronas drawn Tuesday am. 

Post in this thread ;)

Beer Bath Brat Tub 

Ingredients:

Bratwurst 

Buns

Two Bottles of Beer 

1 each yellow onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper (cut up in strips but doesn’t have to be finely chopped) 

1 stick of butter 

1/2 bulb of garlic 

salt and pepper

1 foil baking pan 

Put all ingredients in pan and place pan on hot grille for 30 minutes (you want the beer boiling and the brats cooked). When brats are white, cooked and full of the juice, remove from pan and grill each side for several minutes to finish and add grill marks.  Place brats back in the tub and serve after you have toasted the buns.  

This picture lacks the recommended peppers but they really add to the flavor of the brat.  It’s a crowd pleaser and can quickly serve a crowd. 

903893B5-A83A-4D72-880A-76F3C7FC3301.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wertman said:

@Elpresidente  I can recall a while back you bragged about a shrimp recipe you had or made.  It sounded good and was curious on howniiu made it.

Gambas Al Ajillo

My favourite easy dish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prez must have food on his mind. Breakfast comp and now recipes..I'll always bite when PCs are mentioned.

Chicken cheese enchiladas 

Chicken:

cook ar 350F one hour.

Green Chile:

4 Diced roasted Anaheim peppers.

2 cloves garlic.

1/2 onion diced

1 diced tomato 

2 tbsp flour

Boil and stir until it begins to thicken

Enchiladas 

in a baking pan of desired size

Smear green Chile lightly over a tortilla.

Add 1/4 cup of shredded Mexican cheese

Add 1/4 cup chicken

Roll tortilla until tight 

Repeat until baking pan full

Cover with green Chile 

Top with cheese until it looks nice but not overwhelming (there is already cheese inside, relax)

Bake 350F for 25 minutes

20190627_213304.thumb.jpg.ff16cd40434e72d5d1e664004153be32.jpg

I usually top with some cholula. As long as you get mild Anaheim peppers, this is a great pre cigar dinner. Hot Anaheim can kill your mouth though

• Like 2

Brisket burgers

Step 1.  Go to whole foods and buy brisket burgers premade at the butcher and brioche buns in bags. 

Step 2. Grill the burgers and toast the buns. 

That is all. They are the best burgers I have ever had  

• Haha 1

Spam 'n Eggs

Ingredients

1. Spam (or other luncheon meat of your choice, also works with corned beef)
  2. Leftover rice (Optional: be Asian or make an Asian friend and ask for some left over rice)
  3. Eggs (Optional: free range cruelty-free gmo-free vegetarian-friendly kosher organic whatever is ok too.  I buy the cheapest eggs I can find.)
  4. Chicken sauce
  5. Optional but recommended:  Spring Onion, Garlic

What to Do

1. Slice spam at thinly as possible.  Pan fry on high heat until they are crispy.  You will know they are ready when the oil stops to splatter and burn you incessantly.  (Optional: wear a shirt)
  2. Remove spam from pan, draining any excess fat into the pan.  Keep pan on high heat.  Crack eggs and fry sunny side up until whites are relatively cooked.  Remove when they are as runny as you like
  3. Heat up rice, this can be done in the pan or in a microwave.  (Optional:  get fancy and throw that rice in the pan with some cooking oil, garlic, and your fancy spring onions that you diced earlier)
  4. Put everything together and eat it.  (Optional:  Use a sauce and garnish you like.  I don't know what you like.  I like this.)
  5. Smoke cigars4ijfepp3l9i11.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cuba Libre 

Two ounces of Havana Club Anejo Especial

Coca-Cola 4 ounces  (No TuKola in these parts)

ice cubes from distilled water

Two de-pithed and muddled lime pieces

Whatever straw you can find (Boba optional in this case ?)

Voilà:

Tonight’s Dinner and Esplendido.

3874DCD5-36C0-4C75-B92B-A416C2DF7A07.thumb.jpeg.78fa9f0dd549ae7ef770fe381f19fa0a.jpeg

Feed @El Presidente Meats

Grass-Fed Top Sirloin and damn fine Bordeaux always make me a craving a fine cigar. Here is a good dry rub with a little heat. Grass-Fed butter works well if lubrication is required.

This vintage 2005 Clos Du Marquis Saint-Julien was Excellent. Grill over Med Heat. Sear 2 min, turn / Sear 2 min, turn / grill 5 min, turn / grill 5 min and measure temp [pull at 130F or 55C for rare-med rare] Cheers

BBQ Hot Rub Mixture

·         4 tsp salt ground fine

·         4 tsp ground black pepper

·         4 tsp paprika

·         2 tsp garlic powder

·         2 tsp onion powder

·         2 tsp cumin

·         2 tsp chili powder

·         1 tsp mustard powder

·         1 tsp cayenne pepper

Top Sirloin - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

When I think of "Cigar Food" It's got to be cooked outside I've not perfected my Paella yet though so here's my version of a Cassoulet.

Buy This;

EAC27385-36D6-4508-838F-A64862A5CD88.thumb.jpeg.e5fa9b71855c73b4e9e7a206dab0b425.jpeg

Cook out the Onion's and Garlic, throw in some smoked paprika, peppers in, all the tomato's and bean's in.

Leave it to cook down, halve your olive's, get them in with the spinach, once that's wilted down you're good to serve with the parsley.

90A904A2-1439-43E9-A150-E0376D78E226.thumb.jpeg.d35938d4facef48d140c8787c0755f50.jpeg

Goes well with White boiled rice, on it's own, with some toasted bread.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mt1 said:

Spam 'n Eggs

Ingredients

1. Spam (or other luncheon meat of your choice, also works with corned beef)
  2. Leftover rice (Optional: be Asian or make an Asian friend and ask for some left over rice)
  3. Eggs (Optional: free range cruelty-free gmo-free vegetarian-friendly kosher organic whatever is ok too.  I buy the cheapest eggs I can find.)
  4. Chicken sauce
  5. Optional but recommended:  Spring Onion, Garlic

What to Do

1. Slice spam at thinly as possible.  Pan fry on high heat until they are crispy.  You will know they are ready when the oil stops to splatter and burn you incessantly.  (Optional: wear a shirt)
  2. Remove spam from pan, draining any excess fat into the pan.  Keep pan on high heat.  Crack eggs and fry sunny side up until whites are relatively cooked.  Remove when they are as runny as you like
  3. Heat up rice, this can be done in the pan or in a microwave.  (Optional:  get fancy and throw that rice in the pan with some cooking oil, garlic, and your fancy spring onions that you diced earlier)
  4. Put everything together and eat it.  (Optional:  Use a sauce and garnish you like.  I don't know what you like.  I like this.)
  5. Smoke cigars4ijfepp3l9i11.jpg

Her: But I don't like spam!

Him: I love spam! I'm having spam spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam!

{ok - you knew it was coming....}

• Haha 1

This is super simple but often misunderstood by most men.  In general, people tend to overwork hamburger meat, which results in a tougher texture.  The way to do it is to very gently spread out the (say 1 pound) meat after removal from store packaging. Then salt it with kosher or sea salt.  Then very gently roll the meat into a loose cylinder.  Cut three equal portions.  Then ever-so-gently flatten each portion into a burger, taking care not to "work" it..  This process leaves the meat in almost the same form as it was coming out of the meat grinder.  It results in a beautiful mouth feel.  I can attest to this because all my friends' kids love my hamburgers and ask their dads to make them like mine.  It really offends all the fathers.  If you are an over-worker, this will be a game changer.

• Like 2

This following recipe is a bit involved but Prez asked!

They are very very tasty. I've never made a dish that gets such positive reactions as this one. I first had them in Chili's in Chicago about 20 years ago. I've had the Chili's ones again since making these and the recipe below is better. 

SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS

(sauce optional, can use salsa and/or greek/natural yogurt)

Ingredients:
Yield: 16 rolls 

5 large breasts chicken, cooked and cubed. I slice them into small (1 inch) pieces and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and fry.

1 chopped red bell pepper

4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped fine

6 scallions (spring onions) chopped fine

½ medium onion, chopped fine

400g (12 oz) can cooked kernel corn, drained

400g (12 oz) can cooked black beans, drained (kidney beans will do).

350g (12 oz) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained

2 tblspns. jalapeno peppers, drained, chopped fine

30 - 40g (1-1.5 oz) taco seasoning, see below

¾ cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (mild white cheddar will do if Monterrey Jack not available)

16 each 8” soft flour tortillas

Procedure:

Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the red pepper, onion, scallions and garlic and saute until tender.  Add the cooked chicken, corn, black beans, spinach, jalapenos, and taco seasoning to the pan.  Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring so that the spinach becomes mixed evenly into the rest of the ingredients. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese until it is melted.

Wrap the tortillas (in batches of 4 - 6) in a moist cloth and microwave them on high for 1 minute or until they become hot and soft. Spoon about ½ c. of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Dampen the edges of the tortilla slightly so that it will seal well, then fold in the ends and roll the tortilla up tightly. Secure the ends with a toothpick. Repeat the procedure with the remaining ingredients.

Heat vegetable (rapeseed or similar) oil in a deep fat fryer to 375 F ,190 C. Lower the egg rolls a few at a time and deep-fry them until they are golden brown on the outside. Remove them with a slotted spoon from the oil and drain them on absorbent paper. 

To serve, slice each egg roll diagonally in half and serve on a plate.

Taco Seasoning

4 tspn Chili powder

4 tspn Cumin

1 tspn Onion Powder

1 tspn Garlic Powder

3 tspn Paprika

1 tspn Salt

½ tspn Oregano

¼ tspn Cayenne

¼ tspn Ground Black Pepper

Ingredients (most). It's one of those dishes where "Mise en Place" really helps.

Southwest_Egg_Rolls.jpg.ce0dbedd711625b199b038ef8c1ebbfb.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pres.

SouthWest_EggRolls.thumb.jpg.a1aeec5b926ed2c901bb4b76b41ea354.jpg

• Like 2

This is what Prez had as his main course last Friday. Picture again courtesy of Prez.

I first had these in Cuba last Christmas day. It was a great thing to see Cuban's reaction to these. Lamb like this cannot be bought in Cuba, a friend brought over a suitcase full of lamb racks from Fortnum and Mason in London, we made up the rub there.

This is a good time of year for lamb in Ireland, as it's this year's lamb.

Moroccan Chops, serves 4

Ingredients

2 tspn Garlic Powder

1 tspn Cayenne Pepper

1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin

2 tspn Black Pepper

2 tspn Fennel Seeds

1/2 tspn Dried Sage

2 tspn mustard powder

2 tspn kosher salt (salt flakes)

1/2 tpsn ground nutmeg

1/2 cup olive oil, to make a rub of the spices.

2 baby lamb racks, 8 or 9 bones each, bones cleaned, as much of the fat as possible trimmed off. Cut the racks into “double chops”, two bones in each, they grill better this way.

Procedure

Put all ingredients except the lamb in a bowl and stir.

Rub mixture all over lamb

Set aside to marinate for 1 hour or overnight better.

Get the barbeque hot.

Grill over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes each side, or until internal temp reaches 110 to 115 f (pink on the inside). Transfer to a clean dry surface and rest for 10-20 minutes.

I serve these with dauphinoise potatoes and grilled asparagus.

This was the second batch. We did 4 racks that night for 8 people. None left over.

Moroccan_Lamb.thumb.jpg.07081478e118ba2729270718a5ef5fa3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm always looking for a quick bite when I finish a cigar. I suppose it's due to my eating style - more of an all day grazer than a 3 meal type of guy.  I always reach for a trail mix that consists of 4 simple ingredients - almonds, pecans, cashews, and dark chocolate. Not a ton of sugar in the chocolate but just enough to satisfy the sweet tooth.  The combination is so simple, so good, and pairs so well with a cigar.  

For a bit more work, I've got 2 options. The first is my keto replacement for a everything bagel with cream cheese and bacon.  It's just some bacon, cream cheese, and Trader Joe's everything bagel seasoning on top.  If you don't know about this stuff, you need to get it.  

Finally, Zucchini Lasagna. No pasta here - not even a keto thing, just an awesome alternative.  

Ingredients

• 16 oz ground beef
  • 1 cup Rao's marinara sauce
  • 1 zucchini large
  • 10 oz ricotta cheese
  • 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel zucchini into strips and leave out the seedy core. Salt and let sit for 15 minutes and blot with paper towels.
  2. Brown ground beef in pan and add marinara. Season well with salt and pepper.
  3. Layer into a small casserole dish: meat, zucchini, ricotta, meat, zucchini, ricotta, mozzarella.
  4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Broil uncovered for 2-3 minutes to brown the top

IMG_20190428_103534.jpg

IMG_20180427_182804.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have always been a fan of Frank Sinatra's hamburger recipe.  There was a reason they called him the "Chairman of the Board." 

ALTMfUg.jpg

2b9e7ab291d7f56d8c3f85ca30f3497f--cooking-spaghetti-cooking-pasta.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, so here we go, Sauerkraut and Bratwurst Sandwiches.  

First thing I need to get out of the way is that you are porbably doing sauerkraut all wrong.  No, seriously, you don't just buy a bag or can of the stuff and dump it into the pan while you're cooking your brats.  This ain't no Triple-A baseball, this is the major leagues, so get with the program.  

First thing you need is some good quality bratwurst from a local german butcher (hopefully you have one near you).  And for the love of god, please pronounce it "brat-vorst."  I personally like it smoked, but if you like it raw (and I know some really like it raw), that will work too.  Next thing you need is a fair amount of good quality fermented sauerkraut, along with a red onion, a couple red potatoes, a good dark beer, perhaps some chicken stock, salt and pepper, bay leaves, and whole juniper berries.  The juniper berries are key; if you dont have them, you might as well get pissed before eating it because it's not going to be too flavorful.  

First thing, cut the red onion in half, peel it, and slice it into long thin slices.  Put this aside for later.  Heat up a large braising pot and start browning the sausage.  While you are cooking the sausage, start shredding the potatoes (unpeeled, the skins give a better grip).  Do not do this before browning the sausage.  Why?  Because potatoes start turning brown fast and no one wants to eat brown potatoes.  After shredding them, lay them out on a couple of towels so as to absorb all of the moisture.  This is key otherwise they will just turn into a mashy mush when you sauté them.  

By this time, the sausage should be finished, so remove them from the pot.  Next thing, add in the onions, with some salt and pepper, and start cooking them.  After they start to soften, add in the potato shreds along with some more salt and pepper.  Potatoes have very little salt naturally, so you need to use a lot of salt to make them taste flavorful.  By a lot I don't mean a pinch or two, I mean like a tablespoon.  Make sure the pan stays hot too, otherwise things will stick.  After you get the potatoes cooking, you will probably notice some of the mix browning and sticking to the bottom of the pan; this stuff is gold.  Deglaze the pan with some beer by pouring the beer into the pan to cool it down.  Then really scrape these brunt bits of heaven off of the bottom and mix them in.  Add in the sauerkraut, more beer,  cooked sausage, enough stock to cover and 2 or 3 bay leaves.  Then grab 15 to 20 juniper berries and smash them open with the flat edge of a knife.  Throw these in as well.  Bring to a boil, lower to a LOW simmer and simmer partially covered for a few hours.  

After 3 or 4 hours, this should start to smell amazing and will be ready to eat, but you could let it go all day, so long as the simmer is really low.  Now all you need are some rolls and course ground mustard.  Viola, a bratwurst and sauerkraut sandwich!  

And in case you're wondering, you don't put cheese onto a bratwurst sandwich.  What are you, American?  If you want some cheese in your sandwich, buy some Kasewurst instead (that word just does not look right without the umlaut).  

Last time I had this, I choose to make Spatzle (another word that does not look right without the umlaut) for my starch instead of a roll.  Enjoy!

IMG_2690.JPG

• Like 3

My regular post cigar snack, probably 5 minutes from deciding you're hungry to fork in mouth. The perfect combination of salty, meaty, fatty and creamy.

In the breakfast thread I said there aren't to many combos better than scrambled eggs on toast. This is one of them in my opinion; scrambled eggs with mature Red Leicester and black pudding.

3 eggs, half a handful of cubed (Small) Red Leicester, a dash of double cream, squeeze of black pepper and sprinkle of salt, straight into the pan.

When done (Take out when still a little runny as it keeps cooking on the plate) chuck the black pudding in until it starts to sizzle, flip over and repeat. By this time the eggs will be cool enough to eat, place the pudding next to it, a sprinkle of parsley and enjoy!

Screenshot_20190629-165542.png

About 500 calories if you're into that type of thing

• Like 1