Cohiba - Double Lanceros (unique size custom made for Uday Saddam Hussein)

I can only imagine a bunch of grunts sitting around a palace smoking these like the GI’s in Germany getting smashed on Goering’s champagne.

That takes Cohiba EL to the next level. Plus, even without a box code, you know it has at least 15 years on it!

• Like 1

I guess we can take some satisfaction in the fact that others are smoking them and he's not. 

16 hours ago, BarryVT said:

They sent uday some veiny ass sticks!

Big leaves are needed for cigars like that and I'm sure they want to give private customers the shade they like and don't forget--they all have to match. And they are Cohiba wrapper leaves. Something like a few veins is inevitable based simply on supply at the time. 

7 hours ago, rcarlson said:

That Cohiba band don't look right to me.  Any chance these are just novelty fakies? 

Older bands from 93-03. SBN box so sticks can move around a bit. Also, that's a known style of band for personalization by Habanos very similar if not identical to the Monte B Compay Segundo release:

Lot_216_3_nov-2012.jpg

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I went to the cuban cigar website and compared the 93-03 Cohiba bands. They don't appear identical to me.  The dots at the top should have a larger border.   

Looking at the picture posted by the Gipper, the sticks don't look uniform to me either. 

Just wondering.  It's such an absurd find I don't doubt that there might be some done up as a novelty, regardless of the existence of authentics.   

Uday and Saddam banded cigars did the rounds pretty regularly around '03-'05 - this is the first time I've seen the Double Lanceros though. Mostly they were Esplendidos.

Legitimacy, well, who can say, but the Saddams were well documented Cohiba fans and Cuba and pre-war Iraq were on friendly terms, so it seems likely that they could have gotten pretty much whatever they wanted. After the invasion their stash could have wound up pretty much anywhere. So at least the origin story seems a lot more plausible than say the King of Spain Lanceros.

The band looks correct for the diplomatic vanity band and Cohiba band at least is correct for the era.

One thing I will note - the sticker on the box the cigarette shop merchant is holding definitely doesn't say "Double Lanceros." Hard to make out, but looks like "Esplendidos" to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ATGroom said:

Uday and Saddam banded cigars did the rounds pretty regularly around '03-'05 - this is the first time I've seen the Double Lanceros though. Mostly they were Esplendidos.

Legitimacy, well, who can say, but the Saddams were well documented Cohiba fans and Cuba and pre-war Iraq were on friendly terms, so it seems likely that they could have gotten pretty much whatever they wanted. After the invasion their stash could have wound up pretty much anywhere. So at least the origin story seems a lot more plausible than say the King of Spain Lanceros.

The band looks correct for the diplomatic vanity band and Cohiba band at least is correct for the era.

One thing I will note - the sticker on the box the cigarette shop merchant is holding definitely doesn't say "Double Lanceros." Hard to make out, but looks like "Esplendidos" to me.

I didn't notice that at first, but your right. I read the sticker as "Exquisitos" but it could very well be "Esplendido", it certainly isn't "Double Lancero." That box is definitely not an original box for either Vitola though. Interesting.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Big leaves are needed for cigars like that and I'm sure they want to give private customers the shade they like and don't forget--they all have to match. And they are Cohiba wrapper leaves. Something like a few veins is inevitable based simply on supply at the time

Seriously doubt Castro would have accepted that explanation! Lol

14 hours ago, ATGroom said:

I still say the top row of dots on the Cohiba band doesn't look right. 

Standard Band C image

The dots should be cut/run to the very edge.  The ones posted have a very small black border above the dots. 

Case closed.

- Inspector Clouseau

• JohnS changed the title to Cohiba - Double Lanceros (unique size custom made for Uday Saddam Hussein)