FOH: A Week In Pictures.

I agree on those points, Ken. There's a reason that there was an election landslide in early 1976 and yes, it was due to economic (mis)management. Yet, those initiatives in the 70s were fantastic.

I'm not favoured to one side of Australian politics or the other as I also had a picture with Sir Robert Menzies too (but I didn't upload) . Harder to find as he had a short stint as PM in 1939 but he is more famous for being PM from 1949 to 1966.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great wedding weekend! My dad turns 90 in July, my mum 85 this year. They danced away until closing time.  Ben and Hattie were magnificent. My youngest Brother Rick (left) went "to town

Had a good fall steelhead trip recently. Went 13 for 13 on steelhead in 2 and a half days. Excellent weather! The young angler James was successful as well!

Went to Cuba, smoked good cigars, ate good food, saw cool stuff.

3 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I agree on those points, Ken. There's a reason that there was an election landslide in early 1976 and yes, it was due to economic (mis)management. Yet, those initiatives in the 70s were fantastic.

I'm not favoured to one side of Australian politics or the other as I also had a picture with Sir Robert Menzies too (but I didn't upload) . Harder to find as he had a short stint as PM in 1939 but he is more famous for being PM from 1949 to 1966.

december 1975 was the end of gough, although he stayed as opp leader and lost again in 77 if memory serves.

yes, it was basically menzies' australia for those years. 

remember talking to killeen years ago. apparently his cabinet loved when the ashes was on in england as menzies would always go and in those days, it was by boat usually. it meant they could make some decisions. if menzies was there, he simply made every decision. 

i gather on one trip, menzies had decided canberra needed a lake and gave the orders. then went away for several months. cabinet, to a man, thought a lake in canberra a crazy idea. so voted it down and started work on other projects for that area. menzies arrived back and took one look, 'where is my lake?'.

was told that cabinet had made some changes. 'change it back. i want a lake'. so canberra has a lake. 

as for economic mismanagement, has there ever been a govt farce like those guys ran. 

for those unfamiliar with the loans affair, our minister for mining decided he wanted US$4 billion for projects (over $20 bill today). okay, not unheard of though extremely large for the period. sovereign loans etc should be fine. but this dill decided he could do better (dodge treasury and constitutional requirements). and did so in conjunction with our minister for labour and the treasurer. 

someone - an adelaide home builder - put him in touch with a dodgy pakistani bankrupt textiles and commodities trader, who had never raised a cent in his life. even gough said he sounded like a conman but they ignored him. the prime minister. as it all crumbled, rex connor, minister for mining, was tripped of his ability to raise capital. he ignored that. then when caught out, claimed that khemlani was lying and that he'd had no contact with him. so khemlani flies in with a bundle of telexes from the minister. whoops. sad when the dodgy bankrupt is the most honest bloke involved in it all. 

you honestly could not make this up.

a home builder puts the treasurer of australia and other ministers in touch with a pakistani bankrupt who has never raised a cent in his life to provide a govt loan of $20 bill (today's dosh). 

at the same time, the treasurer, from the extreme left wing of the govt, had employed this stunning woman as his secretary despite no experience and was bonking her silly. often with the wife at home, apparently. the treasurer then lied to parliament about it all. even though all australia knew. the press was publishing pics of them in their jamies having breakfast on the family deck. 

all of which led to the eventual dismissal of the govt. 

and gough was out next election. this was despite a great many people outraged that the governor general had sacked him. and yet the election was a record landslide. i always wondered how bad it would have been if gough did not have the sacking to drum up support. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

I spent the weekend away in Canberra, the national capital city of Australia, to celebrate my 24th Wedding Anniversary with my wife...

IMG-20210529-WA0000.jpg.71072f8a9caa9581518d9d0e1ff0eaec.jpg

We went into Parliament House and took some photos in front of the portraits of some of our more famous Prime Ministers...

IMG-20210529-WA0002.jpg.1c1cea3e85c3aed2575c70b6f1ab3532.jpg

Gough Whitlam

IMG-20210529-WA0004.jpg.0d2d154ba1036d2382f7fcb0e4980586.jpg

Bob Hawke

IMG-20210529-WA0005.jpg.3a88a0399309719fb8f869f256c003e2.jpg

There's also a display of Parliament House made out of Lego!

IMG-20210530-WA0000.jpg.f53b43eb4fee4174087867c7421fad1a.jpg

On the Sunday we went to the National Gallery. Prime Minister Gough Whitlam was criticised for authorising the purchase of Jackson Pollock's 'Blue Poles' for $AU1.3 million in 1974. Fast forward 47 years and it looks like a sage investment indeed. I thought that it's valued at $AU40 million today but my wife Eleni, an Art teacher, said the value may be up to $AU350 million.

IMG-20210530-WA0001.jpg.243e33c76fc57db077236893f76312cf.jpg

IMG-20210530-WA0002.jpg.22c0e667727ddc2b662e65e7a43c09b9.jpg

Outside the gallery there's some outdoor sculptures and the fountain on the river. It was a fantastic weekend!

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 5.45.58 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

one bullet every politician. that as my slogan and i'd be elected tomorrow!

But then by your own slogan... you'd be getting the next bullet. :P

17 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

New painting arrived today. The artist shipped a similar one 3 months ago that arrived damaged. This time he personally drove it up from Florida and we think it looks great. 

Who is the artist?

On 5/28/2021 at 11:46 PM, NicPac said:

Out camping with these knuckleheads! 

*I know the photo is upside down. Not sure why it posts that way. Just flip your phone over 😜

F0D9C0B7-B72F-4C40-B3EE-3026906753E8.jpeg

Were you camping in Oz?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

wrapping up Di's birthday week.

View from apartment in mooloolaba 

Looks lovely. How do you pronounce that?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

SOUUeeeeee!!!! What a pig out of San Diego!!! We were using WAY too light of gear for this 220# bluefin this morning and it KICKED our asses for 5 hours.

Awesome!!  Where about?  We’re taking the Sauerfish out of SD in July

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

SOUUeeeeee!!!! What a pig out of San Diego!!! We were using WAY too light of gear for this 220# bluefin this morning and it KICKED our asses for 5 hours.

Fantastic!  

1 hour ago, BigGuns said:

Awesome!!  Where about?  We’re taking the Sauerfish out of SD in July

Nice!!!! We were down off Ensenada with the sport boat fleet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Dude this is YOUR world we just live in it!!! Seriously congrats on some great catches. What cigar did you light up to celebrate the moment??? Cuban Davidoff Dom Perignon from 1991 would be appropriate !

• Like 3