FOH: A Week In Pictures.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great wedding weekend! My dad turns 90 in July, my mum 85 this year. They danced away until closing time.  Ben and Hattie were magnificent. My youngest Brother Rick (left) went "to town

Had a good fall steelhead trip recently. Went 13 for 13 on steelhead in 2 and a half days. Excellent weather! The young angler James was successful as well!

Went to Cuba, smoked good cigars, ate good food, saw cool stuff.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, philipl said:

Iris 44qt weathertight totes. I first came across them at Costco about a year ago and bought quite a few for general use, and some got purposed into tupperdors. I've since bought more from other sources because Costco only seems to carry them for a brief span of a few weeks/months every year, but they tend to be about double the price.

If I remember correctly, Costco had them for $9 each container and were marked down to $7 on sale when I picked them up. Online now they seem to run around $15 each, usually sold as a 4 pack.

Going for $20 or so each online now.  They are my go-to containers, got about 8 of them for now.  They are a good size for stacking

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, Wetduck79 said:

Finally got to get a day on the water!  Afterwords a cigar with my brother in law.  Great day!

And what a great day on the water it looked like! Cheers brother! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr. Japan said:

Today, Anna's birthday my turn in the kitchen ( again ) IMG_2016.jpeg

Where did you get those Havana Club cups??? They are awesome!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goodfortune said:

Birthday dinner at Nusr-et Beverly Hills

My wife and I went to the Nusr-et in Boston a couple of months ago.  Absurdly overpriced.  They had steaks over 1K USD and the tomahawk steak for two we had was $250.  I've seen much less expensive wine lists in Dubai or Singapore (for the same wines). 

I have a feeling it's not going to last long in Boston.  I don't plan on ever eating there again, even if someone else is paying.

I did appear that several patrons were there to celebrate something and very few tables had bottles of wine (go figure when the least expensive wine is like $150).

The food was decent.  When the hostess sliced our tomahawk, a good size piece fell off the cutting board and she just threw it away.  At $250 for the steak, she tossed a $20 piece of meat...  The baklava was really good; give them that.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:32 AM, Habana Mike said:

Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance today. Some pretty awesome vehicles.

That Alfa!  Wow.

Would love to see a current model Rolls Royce done as a woody.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Goodfortune said:

Yes, it is definitely expensive. The 24kt gold wagyu tomahawk we got was $1100 USD and that small piece of gold baklava $75. That said, we went to celebrate and we knew that Chef Nusr-et (Salt Bae) was in town for the opening. On the higher end steaks, he comes over and cuts the meat and does his show (loaded a video in my first post but may be too large to see). So I felt we were paying for the full experience with him rather than just the food.

So, he wouldn't bother on a $250 steak lol?  We didn't think there was much experience for us at all  Service was rushed and did not even get bread (or at least I don't recall).  Cheapest glass of wine was $25 for a $13 bottle at the liquor store.

We recreated his "seasoning" on the steaks at home too.  It's just brown mustard marinade and then salted once sliced.  No magic.

I see Nusr-et just a show off place to validate you are big time spender.  I guess the gold plated steaks is cool?  $1,100 steak is "higher end" for sure. 

Would like to see your cigar collection if you are eating such meals!

16 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

So, he wouldn't bother on a $250 steak lol?  We didn't think there was much experience for us at all  Service was rushed and did not even get bread (or at least I don't recall).  Cheapest glass of wine was $25 for a $13 bottle at the liquor store.

We recreated his "seasoning" on the steaks at home too.  It's just brown mustard marinade and then salted once sliced.  No magic.

I see Nusr-et just a show off place to validate you are big time spender.  I guess the gold plated steaks is cool?  $1,100 steak is "higher end" for sure. 

Would like to see your cigar collection if you are eating such meals!

I believe on the tomahawk steak (listed at $275) and above, chef nusr-et would come over and cut it for you (assuming he is there). Again, we were celebrating my birthday so we kind of went over the top with the gold steak ( I don’t eat $1100 steaks on the regular lol). I believe that they do not serve bread at the restaurant. My fiancé is not big on wine, so we both had cocktails. But the bottle list seemed like something you would find in a Las Vegas nightclub. I saw 2k for a bottle of Dom Rose.

I know they say the steaks are marinated in a mustard sauce, I didn’t taste much of it. Meat tasted “natural” with just a hint of salt, which for that type of quality meat I was ok with. I thought the steak was great, that said, it’s certainly not the restaurant to go to and look for “value” or to even attempt to justify the price for just the food (which can be said for many LA restaurants, especially Beverly Hills). I saw it as I was paying for a personal experience with a world famous personality/chef and an event I was only ever going to enjoy once, so tried to make the most of it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodfortune said:

I believe on the tomahawk steak (listed at $275) and above, chef nusr-et would come over and cut it for you (assuming he is there). Again, we were celebrating my birthday so we kind of went over the top with the gold steak ( I don’t eat $1100 steaks on the regular lol). I believe that they do not serve bread at the restaurant. My fiancé is not big on wine, so we both had cocktails. But the bottle list seemed like something you would find in a Las Vegas nightclub. I saw 2k for a bottle of Dom Rose.

I know they say the steaks are marinated in a mustard sauce, I didn’t taste much of it. Meat tasted “natural” with just a hint of salt, which for that type of quality meat I was ok with. I thought the steak was great, that said, it’s certainly not the restaurant to go to and look for “value” or to even attempt to justify the price for just the food (which can be said for many LA restaurants, especially Beverly Hills). I saw it as I was paying for a personal experience with a world famous personality/chef and an event I was only ever going to enjoy once, so tried to make the most of it. 

Good for you. Happy Birthday!  You only live once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Cannot get enough of Jackson Pollock; America's great painter.  Very cool!

i'm just old enough to remember the fuss when gough bought blue poles. the rather conservative establishment in australia in those days felt it was the end of the world. $2 mill for that crap. john, no idea of the price now but way way more than $40 mill i'm sure. funny thing is that of all the things gough did, that turned out to be the most economically responsible. gough did some wonderful things  - always had fun pointing out to my old man that thanks to gough, his three kids went to Uni and got degrees - law, physio and accounting - and it cost him nothing. but you would not let him run a kindergarten tuckshop. he and cairns would have sent it broke before elevensies.

met gough when i was a kid - think i have said this before - and  it irritated dad no end. gough was extremely polite and respectful. think dad thought he should have been as though he crawled out of a cave.

never met hawke but was in a hotel lobby waiting for a friend and he walked through, about 30 feet away. i was the only person in the lobby and he still did the 'g'day' and waving and crap. same as rudd. saw him coming down the escalators at perth airport once. he was waving away as though he'd just stepped off airforce one. this was after he'd been evicted. i looked around. not one person waving to him or even taking a blind bit of notice. 

one bullet every politician. that as my slogan and i'd be elected tomorrow!