FOH: A Week In Pictures.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great wedding weekend! My dad turns 90 in July, my mum 85 this year. They danced away until closing time.  Ben and Hattie were magnificent. My youngest Brother Rick (left) went "to town

Had a good fall steelhead trip recently. Went 13 for 13 on steelhead in 2 and a half days. Excellent weather! The young angler James was successful as well!

Went to Cuba, smoked good cigars, ate good food, saw cool stuff.

18 minutes ago, riderpride said:

That's odd - I was under the impression they were able to change gender. Biologists will be fascinated so take solid notes

It doesn’t matter. Everyone knows every animal in OZ will kill you. Even frogs. 😂

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, SigmundChurchill said:
Every winter I take my family on a ski trip.  Most often, Vail or Aspen, but occasionally Canada.  This year we decided to try somewhere we have not been before, so we went to Breckenridge, CO, about 45 minutes from Vail.  We are having a great time, but I think this one trip is enough.
We took a day trip to Vail today, figuring we couldn't bare the thought of being so close to Vail without skiing there for at least a day.  All it did was remind us why we should have just gone to Vail again instead of trying somewhere new.  Breckenridge has a beautiful, quaint downtown which is very nice.  Main Street is like an old fashioned American Main Street, that looks remarkably like "Main Street USA" at Disneyworld.  Vail is a Swiss-style ski village, also quaint, and also Disney-like in it's own way, but the difference is, if you are in Vail village, you are also right at the main gondola, while at Breckenridge you have to decide whether you want to stay near Main Street OR by the slopes.
Also, the altitude is noticeably higher in Breckenridge.  There are Breckenridge shirts that say "Got Oxygen?" in all the tourist shops.  (That's a satirical take on the "Got Milk?" commercials we have here in the US). 
I find myself having to catch my breath going down a challenging run, or...bending over to tie my shoe, or...standing completely still.  It also negatively impacts the cigar smoking experience.  There is not enough oxygen to keep the cigar lit, so you start puffing on it more frequently, but you are not inhaling.  So you are taking an already oxygen starved body and depriving it even more of oxygen while you are puffing away trying to keep the cigar lit, and next thing you know, you are completely out of breath.  
On our day trip to Vail today, we all noticed how much easier it is to breath.  And it is at least 10 degrees warmer.  If I had known in the planning stage that the nickname for Breckenridge, was Brecken-fridge, I might have altered my plans.
All that aside, we are still having a great time.  After all, we could all be at work or in school right now.

Christmas dinner at a Swiss restaurant.

Their absinthe setup.

Our day at Vail.

Beautiful views! Crazy the altitude and climate/temperature change just 45 mins away.
Btw nice Sweater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Beautiful views! Crazy the altitude and climate/temperature change just 45 mins away.
Btw nice Sweater emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you brought the sweater up, we have been wanting to go back to Whistler for the last 2 seasons, but Canada wouldn't let us in.  I think that has changed now?  Or no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

As long as you brought the sweater up, we have been wanting to go back to Whistler for the last 2 seasons, but Canada wouldn't let us in.  I think that has changed now?  Or no?

As far as I know vaccinated Americans can visit Canada since around October I think.

Omicron might conceivably throw a wrench in the works but I doubt it. The main risk was back when it hadn't spread yet. Now that it's everywhere it would be totally pointless.

Anyways here's the government website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

As far as I know vaccinated Americans can visit Canada since around October I think.

Omicron might conceivably throw a wrench in the works but I doubt it. The main risk was back when it hadn't spread yet. Now that it's everywhere it would be totally pointless.

Anyways here's the government website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

Thanks.  I thought I heard something about it changing.  When you travel in a group of 5 people, you have to plan everything far in advance.  If I do make arrangements, hopefully they don't revert back and screw me up right before my trip is supposed to happen.  I have been wanting to do a Swiss Alps trip one of these years too, but haven't for the same reason. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 10:54 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

Every winter I take my family on a ski trip.  Most often, Vail or Aspen, but occasionally Canada.  This year we decided to try somewhere we have not been before, so we went to Breckenridge, CO, about 45 minutes from Vail.  We are having a great time, but I think this one trip is enough.

We took a day trip to Vail today, figuring we couldn't bare the thought of being so close to Vail without skiing there for at least a day.  All it did was remind us why we should have just gone to Vail again instead of trying somewhere new.  Breckenridge has a beautiful, quaint downtown which is very nice.  Main Street is like an old fashioned American Main Street, that looks remarkably like "Main Street USA" at Disneyworld.  Vail is a Swiss-style ski village, also quaint, and also Disney-like in it's own way, but the difference is, if you are in Vail village, you are also right at the main gondola, while at Breckenridge you have to decide whether you want to stay near Main Street OR by the slopes.

Also, the altitude is noticeably higher in Breckenridge.  There are Breckenridge shirts that say "Got Oxygen?" in all the tourist shops.  (That's a satirical take on the "Got Milk?" commercials we have here in the US). 

I find myself having to catch my breath going down a challenging run, or...bending over to tie my shoe, or...standing completely still.  It also negatively impacts the cigar smoking experience.  There is not enough oxygen to keep the cigar lit, so you start puffing on it more frequently, but you are not inhaling.  So you are taking an already oxygen starved body and depriving it even more of oxygen while you are puffing away trying to keep the cigar lit, and next thing you know, you are completely out of breath.  

On our day trip to Vail today, we all noticed how much easier it is to breath.  And it is at least 10 degrees warmer.  If I had known in the planning stage that the nickname for Breckenridge, was Brecken-fridge, I might have altered my plans.

All that aside, we are still having a great time.  After all, we could all be at work or in school right now.

1C4E2FDC-C107-4D2B-B5D8-75F3ABDE55A8_1_201_a.jpeg.deae3c55f9f7abd096e04b03417bce30.jpeg

Christmas dinner at a Swiss restaurant.

C57CA386-045D-45A5-8CC0-F13AD5B9A390_1_201_a.jpeg.5e0d0472f2152be7253ed27c70d4bfd4.jpeg

48C77BD7-B8D6-4CD2-AD9C-859C5ED867E5_1_201_a.jpeg.ba02c23cd33e1a4fba1db7807c017ae5.jpeg

Their absinthe setup.

CD12F583-DB82-4D8B-8DB3-8B3A66212EAA_1_201_a.jpeg.adbf103f17d0d356c5c9f1f376a5655e.jpeg

FF708183-1911-4BB5-A2BF-F6D5C493CCF2_1_201_a.jpeg.6652ebc7b2ef3873897108d3c68977a7.jpeg

Our day at Vail.

79BD4A6F-AE50-4791-8266-50B25C17602F.jpeg.94af8ab2a8a3d00b3cb838c4c842d208.jpeg

EF8EFB9A-14AC-4386-AE09-165B543DC3C6.jpeg.642a119f77e698b662a49d46546f511b.jpeg

9BD90FBC-4874-405B-A6F8-E3B17A2306E5.jpeg.9171c3c9ebe0ce0038abbc8904958b76.jpeg

1739CE93-A382-4FFE-86A6-85A2D0774781.jpeg.6de8bc8c212725b12c7e8dbd6b7bce88.jpeg

My wife and I joke that for many people, including many or our good friends, there is only one place to ski in the US and that is Vail! I totally get it! You should check out Steamboat if you’re ever looking to switch it up again. I’ve been fortunate to ski just about every major resort in the US and many places around the world and we love Steamboat - so much so we just bought a condo there. Steamboat is undergoing a pretty major expansion to make the base feel more like Vail, Alterra is looking to make it their official flagship resort. United even has a direct flight from EWR now into Hayden/Steamboat.

As of right now it is still a bit of a “Main Street” type of thing 5 min away from the mountain, but great restaurants and lower elevation than even Vail. Anything above Steamboat - even at Vail - I rent an oxygen machine for my room to suck on the first couple of days…really helps. We head out next week to Steamboat for three weeks…my son is barely 3 so we can still get away with that!! Looks like a great trip your family had. 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I have been wanting to do a Swiss Alps trip one of these years too, but haven't for the same reason. 

Covid has been screwing up me visiting CH (friends and family) for some time.  I am going this year no matter what! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

My wife and I joke that for many people, including many or our good friends, there is only one place to ski in the US and that is Vail! I totally get it! You should check out Steamboat if you’re ever looking to switch it up again. I’ve been fortunate to ski just about every major resort in the US and many places around the world and we love Steamboat - so much so we just bought a condo there. Steamboat is undergoing a pretty major expansion to make the base feel more like Vail, Alterra is looking to make it their official flagship resort. United even has a direct flight from EWR now into Hayden/Steamboat.

As of right now it is still a bit of a “Main Street” type of thing 5 min away from the mountain, but great restaurants and lower elevation than even Vail. Anything above Steamboat - even at Vail - I rent an oxygen machine for my room to suck on the first couple of days…really helps. We head out next week to Steamboat for three weeks…my son is barely 3 so we can still get away with that!! Looks like a great trip your family had. 👍🏻

Thank you.  Steamboat is a mountain that is always on the list.  My wife used to go there with her family as a teenager, but I have never been.

And 3 years old is the perfect time to start skiing.  Congrats!  That is when I learned, as well as my wife, and all of my kids.  

And if this comes to fruition about creating a Vail-like village there, buying a property there might be a good investment opportunity.  I will look into it.

Thanks again!

P.S.  Is that direct United flight every day of the week?  Or is it just certain days?