What's your latest NC purchase?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Padron Sampler...

What budget? I don't need food next month....yes, I wore my 'cigar gang' colors.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:07 PM, Lamboinee said:

These are the first two I've purchased....fingers crossed. They look good, wrappers are attractive. They even have that fancy Costa Rican haut couture cellophane that gives you a false sense of security until you realize one end is open and your cigar drops to the floor and cracks. They have a similar aesthetic to the Partagas Serie D, P, and E lines.

Admittedly, these initially appealed to me because of their alleged age/vintage.  I think I'm becoming a sucker for marketing claims about aging...If I was suddenly transformed into a cigar voyeur website called CigarHub.com....the only categories available for my Most Recents would be Mature, Milf, Gilf, and Step-Parent.     

Unfortunately, I'm typically left with at least some reasonable doubt as to an age statement's value and/or accuracy after researching many NC's.

Just an FYI - Let your doubts be assuaged!  I age all of my NC's.  Having a large cigar collection of CC's and NC's really helps.  Some of my current best smoking NC's are:

• Tatuaje Black Label Pette Lanceros from 2017 - Smoked one every 6 months and it took 4.5 years for peak flavor.  These are still going strong.  Just bought some Black Label Corona Gorda's boxed on 3/23- don't plan on touching them for at least 4 more years.
  • Oliva Serie V Belicosos and Robustos purchased 2019.  A friend of mine thinks the Belicoso is the best cigar he's ever smoked - these are now saved for him.
  • Padron 1926 # 35s from 2011.
  • Aging Room Nicaraguan Quatro Churchills purchased in 2018.
  • Ashton VSG Torpedo from 2009 - only one left and I'm saving it for a special occasion!
  • Artero Fuente Magnum 44's purchased in 2017.

Your taste buds will thank you for letting them age.  So as not to misunderstand, I smoke every cigar (NC or CC) when my tastebuds tells me its ready.  That means I do occasionally smoke a cigar and say to myself - wasted it - give it another 6 months!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GVan said:

Fully agree with @KnightsAnole gotta let even NC's rest and dry-out.  Bought a box of these CloudHopper # 53 boxed in MAR/22.  Let them rest for 30 days - and then tried one - the first half is almost sweet.  Awesome NC but, then you get to the back-half and start to get some bitterness with multiple relights required.  Just need some real downtime or dry-boxing due to too much moisture still in the last half. Since it's a NC my notes say with 3 more months for another try.  

I really like that they box these just like CC's - in cabs of 50's - nice touch.  Makes me not feel so bad for now buying more NCs than CCs.

IMG_0600.jpg

Figuring out how to identify the “taste” of moisture content in the cigar your smoking is what separates the wheat from the chaff, amongst cigars and cigar smokers. Once you do, cigar keeping and operating a humidor becomes much, much easier and clearer. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 5:44 PM, jazzboypro said:

These came in today

image.png.17aa3de1d702263dbe6cd633fcdd51eb.png

I really dig the Excalibur. My go to golf cigar. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

Byron Londinenses. This is the quality and consistency that a $500USD+ box of cigars should have.

20230413_175902.jpg.6ab81a5d61ae9981aba381522db36584.jpg

Have you tried these yet?  Byron has their own lounge very close to my office.  I'd never heard of them and thought they are pretty pricey for a house blend, but maybe I've got that completely wrong.  They'd have to be pretty spectacular to justify their current prices.

Guest Nekhyludov
10 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Have you tried these yet?  Byron has their own lounge very close to my office.  I'd never heard of them and thought they are pretty pricey for a house blend, but maybe I've got that completely wrong.  They'd have to be pretty spectacular to justify their current prices.

I've smoked a fair handful of Byron over the past couple of years and they are - in my experience - very impressive cigars. And not just a house roll AFAIK, but part of the Atabey/Alfonso/Bandolero/Byron group of "super-premium" NCs developed by Alfonso Nelson.

Are they worth $35/stick? That's debatable. But every once in a great while, you can find a decent sale and pick up a box for a very competitive price.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, Chibearsv said:

thought they are pretty pricey for a house blend

I go to that lounge. They licensed the name Byron, seems to be a new thing around the country to name your lounge after a brand. Other than caring Selected Tobacco's products not much to do with cigar. I highly recommend trying anything by Selected Tobacco - Atabey, Alfonso, Bandolero & Byron.  Bandolero is their "budget brand" and something I smoke every week, the others for a treat.   Nelson Alfonso is like a 3 star Michelin chef for cigars.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R2C9zGNGT8

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:44 AM, Ford2112 said:

Tried one of these. Not worth the $ imo

20230414_132055.jpg

Is that the Claro?  I tried the Maduro a while back and thought it was decent but not quite up to all the hype.

9 hours ago, TBird55 said:

Bought my first box of NC in 9 years, today. 

20230416_105446.jpg

What size is that?  I think a box of those is in my future.