So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

wish i had 8 cases. but their agents here have been one of our very best (have a lot of the great names) for many years so it is one producer we have seen a fair bit of. 

Each was directly from Broadbent himself.  All Chateau releases.  A couple of mag's too.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

4 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Each was directly from Broadbent himself.  All Chateau releases.  A couple of mag's too.

from the auction or do you mean his son? i gather michael's son has a business in the states?

years ago, i had corresponded with broadbent senior (to do with some yquem tastings) and then spoke to him on the phone when in england - was buying a 31 noval for a mate from christies. lovely person in the correspondence. i might have been a smidge less impressed on the phone. 

On 11/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, Ken Gargett said:

from the auction or do you mean his son? i gather michael's son has a business in the states?

years ago, i had corresponded with broadbent senior (to do with some yquem tastings) and then spoke to him on the phone when in england - was buying a 31 noval for a mate from christies. lovely person in the correspondence. i might have been a smidge less impressed on the phone. 

From the son, Bart Broadbent.  There is a '31 Noval coming to a local auction this month.  I've only had that vintage once and it lived up to the hype.  I think it'll go 4K+

42 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

From the son, Bart Broadbent.  There is a '31 Noval coming to a local auction this month.  I've only had that vintage once and it lived up to the hype.  I think it'll go 4K+

i'd think it could easily go for that, especially if good provenance. got the one for my mate at christies and kept it under my bed in the dorms in london till he arrived - the number of nights mates and i arrived back late from the pub and i had to convince them, and me, it was not for drinking. then the bugger drank it before i got back to australia.

some years ago, a local auction house had a 29 taylors up for sale. knew there was no such vintage so checked with them - the auction house was set up by a great mate of mine. a bloke was slowly selling his cellar of great old ports, all very well kept. to date, because this was ports from a time when they didn't always get a label, everything he'd claimed was what he said. but i knew no 29. even checked with friends at taylors to see if by any chance they'd made it and never released it. david G from taylors spent a lot of time in adelaide (where the house was) so perhaps he'd brought it? no. definitely not. so i thought perhaps a 27 or 45 or 48. worth a punt. got it for about $400.

some time later, i was doing a small lunch for some friends who'd opened extraordinary wines for me over the years. could never match what they have shared but wanted to give it a crack. was getting very pissed off as the krug had a tiny bit of taint. so did a DRC Richebourg. the other wines had been fine - forget what they were. anyway. it was at a mate's restaurant and he had opened the wines. i went to check how they were and how the port had opened. there was the cork - 1931 noval. could not believe it. and it was truly spectacular. same as you - lived up to the hype. one of the greatest ports i have ever had. 

The '31 Noval I had was at friend's condo.  He was moving and I helped out along with another friend who was also moving.  We opened 3 ports ('31 Noval, '70 Niepoort, and '77 Niepoort) and drank all three.  For helping him load the truck, he gave us Cohiba Gran Reserva's.  Top a notch day in my book!

'70 Niepoort should be up there with best of the vintage.  Would like have side-by-side with Fonseca.  Never had '70 Nacional; cannot comment on that if it's the best of the vintage.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The '31 Noval I had was at friend's condo.  He was moving and I helped out along with another friend who was also moving.  We opened 3 ports ('31 Noval, '70 Niepoort, and '77 Niepoort) and drank all three.  For helping him load the truck, he gave us Cohiba Gran Reserva's.  Top a notch day in my book!

'70 Niepoort should be up there with best of the vintage.  Would like have side-by-side with Fonseca.  Never had '70 Nacional; cannot comment on that if it's the best of the vintage.

a while since i have seen the 70 nacional. some nacionals blow me away but that one did not. terrific wine but perhaps not at the level you'd hope for a nacional from a great year. or could have been a slightly below par bottle. 

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

a while since i have seen the 70 nacional. some nacionals blow me away but that one did not. terrific wine but perhaps not at the level you'd hope for a nacional from a great year. or could have been a slightly below par bottle. 

1980's Nacional's are nothing to write home about, which is right before the point of Christian Seely taking the helm.

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The '31 Noval went for over 4K USD with commission!

Capture.png

thanks. mine was sans label.

makes the few hundred i paid look good. but to be honest, given the insane prices for some burgs and other wines, i'd suggest that this is still dirt cheap. 

44 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

thanks. mine was sans label.

makes the few hundred i paid look good. but to be honest, given the insane prices for some burgs and other wines, i'd suggest that this is still dirt cheap. 

For the pantheon of wines, yes.  This is quite a bargain when it can stand shoulder to shoulder next to the most sought after DRC, etc... 

I got outbid on everything, but I am bottom feeder at auctions.  I won a case of '85 Fonseca a few weeks ago and case went at this auction for $200 more than I paid.  Both were from the same consignor.  Christmas season.

6 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

For the pantheon of wines, yes.  This is quite a bargain when it can stand shoulder to shoulder next to the most sought after DRC, etc... 

I got outbid on everything, but I am bottom feeder at auctions.  I won a case of '85 Fonseca a few weeks ago and case went at this auction for $200 more than I paid.  Both were from the same consignor.  Christmas season.

if you stick to your guns at auctions, you do miss some stuff but overall, amazing what you pick up.

a mate got several bottles of a recent taylors VVV for around $200-250 a bottle. not sure exactly (he kindly rang at 11.30pm to tell me and i was not paying much attention). seems little interest. amazing wine, but it will long outlive us all. 

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

if you stick to your guns at auctions, you do miss some stuff but overall, amazing what you pick up.

a mate got several bottles of a recent taylors VVV for around $200-250 a bottle. not sure exactly (he kindly rang at 11.30pm to tell me and i was not paying much attention). seems little interest. amazing wine, but it will long outlive us all. 

I picked up a 3 pack box of 2011 Taylor VVV for around $250 for the three, maybe less?  It was 5-6 years ago.  I did not buy much of that vintage.  When will ever be ready?  2050+????

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I picked up a 3 pack box of 2011 Taylor VVV for around $250 for the three, maybe less?  It was 5-6 years ago.  I did not buy much of that vintage.  When will ever be ready?  2050+????

i got half a dozen or so of the 07. have tried two i think. great wine but it will outlive anyone on the planet today. 

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i got half a dozen or so of the 07. have tried two i think. great wine but it will outlive anyone on the planet today. 

Same with the 07's.  I don't own much, maybe 20 bottles at best.  The most recent buy was some Noval, Quevedo, and I think Dow.

With my 60th birthday coming up at the end of the month, my wife surprised the shit outta me with a unicorn bottle of Willett Rare Release. And I found some Monkey 47, a new gin to try.

1F82202C-3532-49CB-A596-DABA3CB3AA4C.JPG.d806bd911a2af6b7ebd877b3d9e8552a.JPG

• Like 4