So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, Mr.T said:

70233d36a0a34e6296c4c4e8cbca10b2.jpg

I've always wanted to try that stuff but now I can't seem to find it anywhere. I used to always see it on the shelves at liquor stores and just gloss over it. What's it like?

• Like 1

I've always wanted to try that stuff but now I can't seem to find it anywhere. I used to always see it on the shelves at liquor stores and just gloss over it. What's it like?

It’s not at all common on the shelves where I live. I’ve only seen it in one store where I live. You get some heat on the front end but it mellows after that. The corn really comes through since it has to have 80% corn in its mashbill…it’s simple and light and there’s some vanilla and oak to it. I will say it’s very unique and if you’re looking to for something different from the high wheat and rye stuff, it’s with a try..and at $15 if you don’t like it your wallet won’t mind too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a 6pk of Shark's Block McLaren Vale Shiraz, Black Wattle Mt Benson Shiraz and Giaconda & Chapoutier Ergo Sum.

wine.jpg.fff50ac18a61fb40d6339623e695bc72.jpg

Looking forward to trying the Ergo Sum, as I have heard good things about it.

• Like 4

This is my first bottle of port wine ever. I'm a newbie when it comes to wine in general (especially red wine, not a fan so far). I've seen so many cigar smokers who drink port and it's supposed to be one of the best (alcoholic) beverage pairings with cigars. I've tried it and I actually quite enjoy it!

20210708_073359.jpg.0657821dcbe56bc20d28861a40963580.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@Lycosa Taylor 10 is a good one to start off with!  Tawny is a lot easier to the casual port drinker than a Vintage Port.  Before you kill that bottle, you may want to consider picking up a Taylor 20 to compare it too.  20 doesn't always mean better.  They're both different and "scratch different itches".

If you like port after both, I would move onto a 10 year Madeira.  Similar to port, but more acidity and basically an infinite shelf life.  Tawny port will last about a month open.  Madeira is perfectly suited to cigars; more so than port.  Port is historically more associated to the British, while Madeira is more associated to the United States.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 9:22 PM, Fuzz said:

Picked up a 6pk of Shark's Block McLaren Vale Shiraz, Black Wattle Mt Benson Shiraz and Giaconda & Chapoutier Ergo Sum.

wine.jpg.fff50ac18a61fb40d6339623e695bc72.jpg

Looking forward to trying the Ergo Sum, as I have heard good things about it.

i thought you'd posted about ergo sum before? good things indeed. from giaconda, or at least rick kinzbrunner and michel chapoutier, though i think they have bowed out. 

Are you buying cases of each wine you've recently posted? 
Unfortunately not. I've not got a proper cellar, just a couple of wine fridges. Tend to pick up a few bottles each year to lay down and enjoy in the future.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...