So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

On 7/9/2021 at 9:22 PM, Fuzz said:

Picked up a 6pk of Shark's Block McLaren Vale Shiraz, Black Wattle Mt Benson Shiraz and Giaconda & Chapoutier Ergo Sum.

Looking forward to trying the Ergo Sum, as I have heard good things about it.

What's with Australian winemakers and using the stupid twist tops? I'm not sure how many other companies are using them but I know that Mollydooker was using them a while back and it seems like a trend over there... lol. I hate them because it just seems cheaper and less traditional but also prevents me from using my Corvin.😬

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

This is a recent release by Broadbent Selections; 2018 Broadbent Douro Reserva.

Excellent wine at under $20 USD (I paid around $16).  Elegant and light on its feet with a lovely nose of orange blossoms.  Classy wine that is not over the top or over done.  One of the first Douro reserva's I can think of with a screw cap. 

Definitely a case buy.

2018 Broadbent Douro Reserva.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

This is a recent release by Broadbent Selections; 2018 Broadbent Douro Reserva.

Excellent wine at under $20 USD (I paid around $16).  Elegant and light on its feet with a lovely nose of orange blossoms.  Classy wine that is not over the top or over done.  One of the first Douro reserva's I can think of with a screw cap. 

Definitely a case buy.

a screwcap in portugal! wow, great to see but i suspect it won't make him popular there. wonder what his old man would have thought? 

On 8/31/2021 at 4:24 PM, Ken Gargett said:

i thought you'd posted about ergo sum before? good things indeed. from giaconda, or at least rick kinzbrunner and michel chapoutier, though i think they have bowed out. 

Don't think so. First time picking up the Ergo Sum. I think they only made 2 or 3 vintages before the partnership split. Read somewhere that Chapoutier was the one that decided to call it quits.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Ken Gargett said:

one other minor benefit is that you can store your wines standing up. 

I quite enjoy having nearly all my wines under screw cap, all for the reasons you stated.

I don't miss corks as much as I thought I would. The benefits of screw cap outweigh the nostalgia.

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Don't think so. First time picking up the Ergo Sum. I think they only made 2 or 3 vintages before the partnership split. Read somewhere that Chapoutier was the one that decided to call it quits.

https://domenicawines.com.au/the-range/ergo-sum/

i bought some of the early ones, though all long gone now. i believe that 12 was the last vintage rick K and michel C did together and then peter graham took it over but i think he may have only released the 14. not sure any releases since then. but i could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

https://domenicawines.com.au/the-range/ergo-sum/

i bought some of the early ones, though all long gone now. i believe that 12 was the last vintage rick K and michel C did together and then peter graham took it over but i think he may have only released the 14. not sure any releases since then. but i could be wrong. 

Interesting. According to Rick's Newsletter on the Giaconda webpage:

"Regarding the Ergo Sum break up. We were informed last year by Michel Chapoutier that due to difficulties in Europe with the global financial crisis, his board of directors has ordered a substantial pull out of their Australian investments."

I see the Chapoutier website has the 2014 available, so might pick some up.

3 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Interesting. According to Rick's Newsletter on the Giaconda webpage:

"Regarding the Ergo Sum break up. We were informed last year by Michel Chapoutier that due to difficulties in Europe with the global financial crisis, his board of directors has ordered a substantial pull out of their Australian investments."

I see the Chapoutier website has the 2014 available, so might pick some up.

how long ago was the statement from Rick? 

16 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

a screwcap in portugal! wow, great to see but i suspect it won't make him popular there. wonder what his old man would have thought? 

As along as the wine is "flavory"...  To have a wine of this quality at $17 retail is no easy task.  Pacheca Reserva is another competitive one at that price I like.

On 9/16/2021 at 6:16 PM, Ken Gargett said:

australian and kiwi makers use them because we were so sick of wines ruined by dodgy corks, oxidation and the dreaded TCA. there are other producers around the world and in time, i can see the vast majority going that way. the recent halliday challenge which saw thousands of wines judged, i believe 88% were under screwcap and of that, 96% of whites. and of those under cork, most of those would only still be under cork because the makers believe that overseas markets won't buy wines under screwcap, not because they think they are a better seal. i believe that will eventually change. 

winemakers use it because it is undeniably a better closure. and that includes long term ageing (especially, long term ageing for some). 

the portuguese were selling local winemakers dodgy corks. they put their money into marketing and not research at the time and they lost several markets. they have learnt and they have done considerable research and improvements since, but if you treat your market like idiots, hard to get them back. 

so many wines were ruined by cork taint. and at the time, we'd just be patted on the head and told that they knew best. end of market for them. 

you mentioned Giaconda - i'm not sure that Giaconda are still involved with the ergo although they certainly once were - some years back, they (as did many producers) put half their production under cork and half under screwcap. they were concerned that, even though they saw the screwcap as the better closure, their customers would still prefer cork. their wines under screwcap sold out immediately (giaconda always sells out) but for this release, long term customers who'd always bought under cork as their was no option, suddenly refused to buy unless they could have the screwcap.

i do not want to speak for penfolds but i suspect most wine writers are under no illusion that most of their winemakers would prefer to see grange under screwcap, but the marketing dept won't allow it. 

i have done many tastings comparing wines under screwcap and wines under cork. when the wines are young, there is usually not much variation, but after a few years you really notice it. the wines under screwcap are so much fresher, cleaner and simply better. 

if i have the choice, i will always buy a wine under screwcap - and that would apply to cheap and cheerfuls or wines that are the level of Bordeaux First Growth or Burgundy Grand Cru, including DRC, if i had that option. and if i could afford them. 

as for your coravin, understand (told they are making one for screwcaps though not sure how that will work), but a wine under screwcap will last longer, after opening, than one under cork. other than perhaps very mature wines, put the screwcap back and it will last 3-4 days easy in the fridge. an alternative is to have a few half bottles on hand, cleaned. decant into those, leaving no space, and put the screwcap on and they will last for much longer in the fridge. 

as for tradition, i know that is a regular argument but i'd suggest a fallacy. when corks replaced oily rags etc, you reckon the oily rag salesmen had any success claiming tradition. i am not against tradition but i'd much rather a better wine or not wasting my money on a dud. 

one day, something will come along which improves on the screwcap (no doubt, they'll be claiming tradition), but until then, i have not the slightest doubt that screwcaps are the superior seal. 

Got this little extra in a Montalto gift box of their best pinot from 2018. Thought it would come in handy but drank the bottle. Ha ha!

IMG_7163.jpg

• Like 1

Had a 2010 the other day, it was outstanding. Picked up 6 of the 2016’s yesterday. Be a few years before I try one.

d909497778be46f29f828fa3ad686ad0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, LLC said:

Had a 2010 the other day, it was outstanding. Picked up 6 of the 2016’s yesterday. Be a few years before I try one.

stunning vintage. i'd be very happy to have six in the cellar. tried to buy all the 16s i could (also of Barolo) but did not see this one offered here. usually available. suspect it just sold out asap. 

22 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

stunning vintage. i'd be very happy to have six in the cellar. tried to buy all the 16s i could (also of Barolo) but did not see this one offered here. usually available. suspect it just sold out asap. 

I’ll keep my eye out for 2016 Barolo’s. Lots of the 2016 Banfi Brunello’s around here still available so I may grab another 6. 

2 hours ago, LLC said:

I’ll keep my eye out for 2016 Barolo’s. Lots of the 2016 Banfi Brunello’s around here still available so I may grab another 6. 

it seemed here that the 16 barolos were available before the brunellos. not sure why. must confess i probably went harder at both than i have for anything for a while. perhaps 08 Champagne. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 4:06 PM, Ken Gargett said:

it seemed here that the 16 barolos were available before the brunellos. not sure why. must confess i probably went harder at both than i have for anything for a while. perhaps 08 Champagne. 

I stocked up on '08 Champagne some.  6 packs of Cristal and Dom along with some more boutique brands.  Not sure what I have for '16 Barolo, but will start looking out for them!

Here's something you don't see every day, a mag of Vin de Constance 2016.  Looking forward to opening it some decade...

Vin de Constance Mag.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I stocked up on '08 Champagne some.  6 packs of Cristal and Dom along with some more boutique brands.  Not sure what I have for '16 Barolo, but will start looking out for them!

Here's something you don't see every day, a mag of Vin de Constance 2016.  Looking forward to opening it some decade...

yes, good luck living long enough with that one. never heard of it in magnum.

i think i have 5-6 dom 08s but no cristal sadly. i know the people at dom thought the 08 the best they'd ever made, perhaps since 64 at least. the people at Roederer thought the 08 cristal the best they made, till they released the 12 which was then the best and then the 13 which was apparently the best. so all a bit grain of salt stuff. but i am envious. 

the other one to grab is the taittinger comtes 08. just wonderful.

friends who have seen the 08 salon (as it was only in mags and you had to buy it in a set which also included the 04,06 and 07 and the very few that were selling here went for around $15,000 to $20,000 per set, i suspect it is a wine i'll never see) say it is the best of the 08s. i suspect the krug clos des mesnil will go close but you'll have to sell your kids to get that, or possibly the perrier-jouet belle epoque blanc des blancs 08, but that is always such a small release. 

but pretty much anything from champagne from 08 should be terrific. 

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

but pretty much anything from champagne from 08 should be terrific. 

When I bought the 08's they were the current release and the NH Liquor Store had an insane deal on Sparkling wines with even better discount on 12 or more bottles wine.  I think the Dom was like $120 each...