Let's talk about watches...

On 1/25/2021 at 2:18 PM, nino said:

Considering this Steinhart Ceramic GMT model - any input ?

My main concern is the metal band as I have had bad experiences due to hairy wrist.

steinhart gmt_keramik_neu_002.jpeg

You should check out the Certina DS Diver Automatic. Great value and i think comparable in price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

8 hours ago, PuroDan said:

You should check out the Certina DS Diver Automatic. Great value and i think comparable in price

Thanks, nice watch ! - but I look specifically for a GMT model.

5 hours ago, nino said:

Thanks, nice watch ! - but I look specifically for a GMT model.

This one may be a little more than you were planning to spend, but it's the hottest GMT on the market for several good reasons.

Ball - ROADMASTER MARINE GMT

RMMarineGMTII_DESKTOP%2001-1920x905[1].jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

This one may be a little more than you were planning to spend, but it's the hottest GMT on the market for several good reasons.

Ball - ROADMASTER MARINE GMT

@BrightonCorgi - Wow, thank you, now that is a hot watch ! Love the features it has like Day/Date & luminosity, truly a serious watch and the price is not exorbitant...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nino said:

@BrightonCorgi - Wow, thank you, now that is a hot watch ! Love the features it has like Day/Date & luminosity, truly a serious watch and the price is not exorbitant...

No, the price is not bad for what you get.  Actually I think it's quite a deal.  Everything is just lovely on that watch and it's super bright at night.  Day-Date, GMT...  Has everything you'd want.  I love GMT's for traveling as I bet you do too.  The watch can be engraved and would look hot with a leather or rubber strap; so lot's of looks you can get.    Movement looks terrific too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No, the price is not bad for what you get.  Actually I think it's quite a deal.  Everything is just lovely on that watch and it's super bright at night.  Day-Date, GMT...  Has everything you'd want.  I love GMT's for traveling as I bet you do too.  The watch can be engraved and would look hot with a leather or rubber strap; so lot's of looks you can get.    Movement looks terrific too.

You are 100% correct. 

Yes. That would have been my perfect GMT when I was still flying. Still love them now. Had 2 Seiko 100's with dual time, luminosity, alarm clock and those were basically my "job" watches.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated !

Just received that Swiss Alpine GMT watch I ordered last week.

Very solid, heavy piece, makes a very good impression. The price I paid was €99 but the price tag was €379 so a considerable discount for a Swiss made watch ...

I have not adjusted the metal band yet - put it on my wrist and it tears my hairs like a rusty lawnmower, hurts like hell.
Hope I can adjust the band to be tight and not squeeze the hairs or it will be passed to my buddy's watch collection.

SWISSGMT1.thumb.jpg.a4660c52b3792f715ca0a538a9f6cdac.jpg

SWISSGMT2.thumb.jpg.6ef402a2638a2d99362cd8d4d57e0089.jpg

SWISSGMT3.jpg.13bb1064eece54123ddf5c8a37a6d1e7.jpg

• Like 4

Watch looks good Nino, I somehow like the Rolex style numbers on the bezel where I would normally be put off like the hands on the steinhart. But that band looks way to tight, hope there are some extra links included. Else slap a rubber or nato strap on it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DanWil84 said:

Watch looks good Nino, I somehow like the Rolex style numbers on the bezel where I would normally be put off like the hands on the steinhart. But that band looks way to tight, hope there are some extra links included. Else slap a rubber or nato strap on it.

Thanks @DanWil84 - it sure looks good and I like it.

But nope, the band is very loose, I have to take out at least 3 pieces to make it fit my wrist and very much hope being tighter it will  have less friction against the hairs as I otherwise will slap a rubber band on it. But the band looks very good and solid and it would somehow ruin the harmonius looks ...

Growing up as a litle metal head watching Dan Spitz thrash a guitar from a mosh pit, his leaving Anthrax i the 1990's baffled me. I was suprised he quit to go make watches instead. I've occasionally searched his business development and suprized by how much they sold for unitl I understood his pedigre in watchmaking. He released his first self made movement and the watch is now on sale. Looks gorgeous. About the movement https://monochrome-watches.com/dan-spitz-from-heavy-metal-to-high-end-watchmaking-and-his-us-made-calibre/     and listing seller https://www.thelimitededition.co.uk/product/daniel-a-spitz-liberty-ref-j11-13/ 

Daniel-A.-Spitz-Watchmaking_timepiece_caliber-j11.13_independent-watchmaking_1.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fosgate said:

Growing up as a litle metal head watching Dan Spitz thrash a guitar from a mosh pit, his leaving Anthrax i the 1990's baffled me. I was suprised he quit to go make watches instead. I've occasionally searched his business development and suprized by how much they sold for unitl I understood his pedigre in watchmaking. He released his first self made movement and the watch is now on sale. Looks gorgeous. About the movement https://monochrome-watches.com/dan-spitz-from-heavy-metal-to-high-end-watchmaking-and-his-us-made-calibre/     and listing seller https://www.thelimitededition.co.uk/product/daniel-a-spitz-liberty-ref-j11-13/ 

Daniel-A.-Spitz-Watchmaking_timepiece_caliber-j11.13_independent-watchmaking_1.jpg

I thought a couple from Anthrax (possibly just him) were from families in the jewelry business?

44 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Looks like:

https://calibercorner.com/ronda-caliber-515-24h/

RONDA CALIBER 515.24H Swiss Quartz with GMT.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

@nino What movement does that Swiss Alpine GMT watch have?

It does look like it has a Ronda 515.24 Quartz Movement as @Bijan mentions above according to this review of a similar Swiss Alpine  GMT :

https://www.watchreport.com/swiss-military-gmt-watch-review/

50 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I thought a couple from Anthrax (possibly just him) were from families in the jewelry business?

Dan's father and grandfather were both watch makers. Scott Ian's father was in the jewelry business-https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/scott-ian-excerpt

14 minutes ago, Fosgate said:

Dan's father and grandfather were both watch makers. Scott Ian's father was in the jewelry business-https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/scott-ian-excerpt

Ok, thanks for sharing.  I was in the old hardcore scene and Anthrax came along with the Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, etc...  Remember hearing about Jewelry business.  How else do 18 year olds afford Marshall stacks and the like?

• Like 1

Final report :

Took out 2 parts and tightened the clasp a bit. It now fits perfectly well but is loose enough and it doesn't pull out any hairs ...perfect & happy.
Will use the Gear S3 for sports and this one for travel.

SWISSGMT4.thumb.jpg.d25e1848f93723d5cb9eff6659bca937.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

That's the coolest serious diving watch IMO.  The bracelet for that model is incredible looking too.  Do you also have that?

Thanks. I had the bracelet version also but a distant friend said that it was the watch of his dreams and would be a great gift for his wedding etc. I kind of sold at a give away price (AND gifted him a box of cigars to enjoy at his wedding) to see him flipping in exactly two months at 50% more than what I sold for. (this was pre sport steel craze, now the price is double almost). I will probably get the titanium version at some point.