Manual gearshift transmission cars are on the way out...

In late 2022 I visited my family in Greece and was surprised to find that Manual gearshift transmission cars were very popular there and Automatic transmission cars weren't. It seems that in the rest of the world, the opposite situation is true...

The long overdue death of the stick shift car

Opinion by Paul Hockenos

image.png.95e68e9510b85aef5a68aa3c8ef03dad.png

With car manufacturers increasingly shifting to electric, the days of manual transmission are numbered. Anton Minin/iStockphoto/Getty Images

Berlin CNN — For old-school connoisseurs of the automobile — usually men — driving means operating a beloved vehicle by touch, with three pedals underfoot and a shift stick at hand.

In Europe, this clientele is responsible for a good deal of the moaning about manual transmission’s demise. And perhaps nowhere is it louder than in Germany, the home of Porsche, BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes Benz.

Take for example the German automotive writer for the Swiss newspaper Neue Zürcher Zeitung who waxed melancholy in a heartfelt “homage to the good old days of the clutch and gear stick.”

“What could be a greater pleasure… than tooling along winding roads in a sports car at high speeds? Accelerate, downshift before the bend, turn in, roll, upshift again, and ‘fly away,’” he wrote.

He affectionately describes the stick shift’s smooth knob nestled in his palm. (Sigmund Freud would have had no trouble deducing the grounds for this allure.) "They feel there’s something authentic about it: a connection between driver and vehicle that automatization cuts out." - Paul Hockenos

But it’s not just Europeans (literally) clinging on. In the US, there’s apparently a young (also predominantly male) demographic that is embracing manual driving — championing it as retro, much like Gen Z’s affinity to typewriters and vintage cameras. They feel there’s something authentic about it: a connection between driver and vehicle that automatization cuts out.

They may not know it, but both these European connoisseurs and young Americans are of a mind with Robert M. Pirsig’s protagonist in his classic 1970s philosophical novel, “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,” who feels at one with his motorbike because he understands how it functions. Just pushing a button is a superficial copout.

Well, Zen or not, the day of manual transmissions is speeding to an end — and this layman is shedding no tears.

It’s not just that I cringe at the grating screech of a botched downshift, that high-pitched sequel worse than fingernails across a chalkboard. The sound upbraids and shames me for having wronged the drivetrain. But this obviously never happens to alpha men, the kind who love their engines and coax them to purr.

The superfluous clutch

Today, however, there are knockout reasons — beyond the transmission’s wellbeing — for the end of the stick shift era, and why we should applaud it, too.

For one, the oft-repeated benefits of a stick shift over an automatic have been redundant now for years.

Twentieth century wisdom was that because manuals had more gears than automatics — the latter usually just three — an adroit shifter with five on the floor could operate the engine more efficiently, and thus get more miles to the tankful.

But technology has moved on and automatics with as many as nine gears are common. And they chalk up better mileage and drive faster than their stick-shift counterparts. The explanation: automatics select the right gear for the vehicle, usually the highest gear possible. The average manual driver is not always so proficient. In getting the gear right, automatics consume less fuel, save money and emit fewer emissions.

These are among the reasons why it’s ever harder to buy a new manual-transmission model of any kind in many countries. In the US, less than 1% of new models have stick shifts (compared to 35% in 1980), according to the Environmental Protection Agency. It’s really only sports cars, off-road truck SUVs and a handful of small pickups that still have clutches.

In Europe, Volkswagen is dropping all of its manual-gearbox vehicles in order to comply with EU regulations to reduce emissions.

Gearboxes, as such, are out

While all gasoline-run cars and trucks are climate killers with stick shifts being the slightly worse of two evils, combustion-engine automatics themselves are on their way out. They are tooling along the highway side-by-side with their stick-and-clutch counterparts toward the junkyard of history.

Electric vehicles have gear systems, too: a single speed transmission that transmits energy from the motor to the wheels. But because only one gear exists, there is no switching of gears, neither automatically nor manually.

For the gear-shifting self-appointed connoisseurs, the EVs’ whoosh to higher speeds probably irks them even more than automatics. But fossil-fuel-burning engines of all kinds are on their way out — as a result of the climate crisis — and the sooner we’re rid of them, the better.

Road transportation accounts for 15% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, according to Our World Data, as well as being a huge contributor to the air pollution that claims around nine million deaths a year from respiratory and lung diseases. Transportation noise, though less deadly, also contributes to stress and sleep disorders.

EVs to the rescue

Thankfully, there’s a convenient way to circumvent these blights: electric vehicles.

Last year, the sales of electrics tripled over the proceeding three years, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). It added that if the trend continues — which hinges upon the rollout of charging stations — the EV revolution will save the planet five million barrels of oil a day by 2030.

Positive surveys seem to jibe with my own and friends’ impressions of the ride one gets with the EV. It’s quiet and as smooth as crème brulee. “My husband and I actually fight over who’s going to drive the EV to work,” my friend Cristine in upstate New York told me. And my brother in San Francisco is into his fourth year of leasing an EV.

In cities like Oslo, Norway, where new EV sales are the rule rather than the exception, the air is cleaner, noise is less and overall emissions are down, too. So successful has the electric push been, Norway is ending the sale of gasoline cars in 2025.

But for those aficionados who really can’t go without a clutch and gear shifter, Toyota is planning a realistic-feeling fake manual transmission for some EV models.

It serves no purpose whatsoever — save to comfort bruised egos.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/27/opinions/automatic-vs-manual-cars-electric-pollution-hockenos/index.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

In late 2022 I visited my family in Greece and was surprised to find that Manual gearshift transmission cars were very popular there and Automatic transmission cars weren't. It seems that in the rest of the world, the opposite situation is true...

I can confirm, in Europe you nearly couldn't find an automatic transmission car in the past, they began to gain popularity maybe 10 or 15 years ago and they're slowly replacing manual transmission cars now.

It's not just about nostalgia imho, switching to automatic transmission changes your way of driving a great deal (no engine break) and after 20+ years it takes some time to adapt 😅

• Like 1

I have only ever driven a manual. I am teaching my partner's daughter to drive. She tells me that at school every other girl is learning in an automatic. Out of all her friends she is going to be the best driver 🤫By far .

• Like 4

I no longer care about a manual in a sports car. I'll take paddles if I have a choice. Took a long time to get there.

• Like 1

I just got a sports car, a ’23 Subaru BRZ Limited. I mention it because it will soon be a relic. Naturally aspirated 4 cylinder boxer engine, rear wheel drive, six speed manual, and two useless seats in the rear. Technology in it is minimal and I suspect the rear seats are in there for insurance purposes. I wanted the car because it is an absolute hoot to drive and it defies everything the article predicts. 

• Like 2

I love mt cars. Its a different feeling sitting behind a steering wheel of a MT. Growing up and into some of my adult years I was lucky enough to have a MT. Then I moved to NYC 15 years ago and did away with cars altogether. Had a baby 9 months ago and my wife finally forced me to buy a car. Couldn’t find an mt suv across all brands - not even a custom order. Ended up with paddle shifters, which I don’t like much mostly bc I don’t know how to use them.

Bring back mt cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PigFish said:

A stop sign on a hill. It separated the cows from the bulls.

Especially if the car behind you was on your bumper. Needed very good timing mostly with American cars or trucks that didn’t have hand brakes.  😁

• Like 4

I love driving a stick. Haven't had one in years but my buddy had a stick Audi convertible and it was the funnest car. I would mash on corners!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Best benefit of stick shift in 2024? Your vehicle is 'almost' theft proof. 

No tip to keep a manual out front when using valet?

7 hours ago, eltoroosborne said:

Ended up with paddle shifters, which I don’t like much mostly bc I don’t know how to use them.

Took me years to warm up to paddles. Some cars that paddles are not worth it.  If the rev match downshift and have dramatic response on full throttle then they are a hoot.

• Like 1

I have only owned one automatic transmission vehicle in my 44 yrs of driving. It's my current Toyota Sequioa and never again. Tried teaching my kids how to drive a manual and they gave up after 5 minutes yet they could probably hack into the Pentagon! 

• Like 1

I learned to drive in an automatic, but the first car I bought was a manual. Mom had to drive it home and taught me how to drive it in the community college parking lot by our house. Since then, the few auto cars I've owned were far more boring, even the ones I really liked (always thought "if only this were a manual").  Current cars both have 3 pedals and love them, even in Chicago traffic. I'll keep buying MTs for as long as I can. I find that the driving experience is just so much more enjoyable. Sure, I end up wearing a lot more cigar ash from unfortunately timed shifts but it's well worth it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Have you driven an EV yet? I love asking long time car driving enthusiasts of their first EV experience. 

I tried to upgrade to an Electric Vehicle a few years ago but after researching the market, I found the taxes on these vehicles by the Australian Government both ridiculous and nothing more than a protection scheme for oil companies.

I did try a hybrid vehicle, but after hitting the 40 km/hr mark whilst test driving it, the vehicle kicked into using petrol rather than battery and it was a terrible experience.

Your research was quite accurate and unfortunately there has been little change with respect to taxes. My employer has a fleet of basic model teslas. They are so much fun to drive...like a supercharged go-cart that sticks to the pavement. 

• Like 2

Drove manuals for 30 yrs so I could always be sure of push starting, but then 10 yrs ago I discovered that an automatic allowed me to read books while creeping 5mph in LA traffic.

• Like 2

For speed nothing beats a DCT. If you wanted connected emotion, nothing beats a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm just shocked that my modern auto Merc cannot pull away as smoothly as I could with an old stick shift. Something magical about being in control of power delivery...

• Like 3

I believe you can still get a manual stick on Mustang Gt500s or Corvette zo6.  But All European sports cars are paddle shifts.

• Like 1